The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pilot Custom 74 Nib Issues

pilot custom 74 custom 74

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lovely_Pen

Lovely_Pen

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:16

So I recently bought a Pilot Custom 74 from an online retailer, and I love the pen but the nib is a huge disappointment. When I first inked up the pen it was incredibly scratchy, and there were some ink flow problems. :crybaby: However, since using it the scratchiness has evened out a bit, but the flow still remains problematic--sometimes it dries out completely and won't write a single line. I've contacted the seller, and they've said that I can mail the pen back to them and they can "re-tune" the nib for me, but I'm not sure I should. 

1. I'll have to pay for return shipping to them, and 2. they were supposed to have tuned the nib before shipping the pen out to me in the first place. I'm not sure, if they weren't able to tune, or they did and the pen was jammed back into its cap, but all I know is that the new pen I received does not write very well. My cheaper Pilot 78g and Metropolitan steel nibs write smoother and wetter than this pen :(

There's a FP shop near me, and I'm tempted to just take the pen to them and see what they can do....any advice? Should I just mail the pen back to the original seller and hope that it gets tuned properly?

For the record, I first inked the pen up with Iroshizuku Fuyu-syogun and wrote on Tomoe River paper, so I wasn't expecting any issues. The pen is currently inked with Sailor Jentle Yama-dori, which seems to be working better (in terms of scratchiness).

Thanks,

Lovely Pen

μὴ ζήτει τὰ γινόμενα γίνεσθαι ὡς θέλειςἀλλὰ θέλε τὰ γινόμενα ὡς γίνεται 

καὶεὐροήσεις. - Epictetus

letterji9.png

Sponsored Content

#2 penviper

penviper

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:32

watch this... https://www.youtube....ation_291537271

this could save u time and money to ship it back..

And most importantly  u would learn a lot and gain some fun instead..

Edited by penviper, 19 February 2015 - 04:34.

#3 Lovely_Pen

Lovely_Pen

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 February 2015 - 05:09

Penviper, I had recently noticed those videos on Youtube, but having never attempted nib tuning, I'm rather hesitant to try (for the first time) on my Custom 74--especially seeing as how it's my *nicest* pen. If I had a another pen, which I wouldn't mind possibly ruining, maybe then.

Also, I'm guessing that anything I do myself would void the warranty?

μὴ ζήτει τὰ γινόμενα γίνεσθαι ὡς θέλειςἀλλὰ θέλε τὰ γινόμενα ὡς γίνεται 

καὶεὐροήσεις. - Epictetus

letterji9.png

#4 penviper

penviper

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 05:46

Penviper, I had recently noticed those videos on Youtube, but having never attempted nib tuning, I'm rather hesitant to try (for the first time) on my Custom 74--especially seeing as how it's my *nicest* pen. If I had a another pen, which I wouldn't mind possibly ruining, maybe then.

Also, I'm guessing that anything I do myself would void the warranty?

suggest u view it under the loupe and see what is the problem. may it is just a misalign tints...I had a few custom 74.... one of them after adjustment works perfectly! without even smoothening it with grits

Edited by penviper, 19 February 2015 - 05:47.

#5 rutherfordr

rutherfordr

Annuit Coeptis

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 February 2015 - 15:26

You can send it to the Pilot service facility in Jacksonville, Florida, and they'll fix it for you.

It may take a while, if they have to send it to Japan for repairs, but since it's new they probably won't charge you for it.

Scientia potentia est.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pilot custom 74, custom 74

Sponsored Content

|