Problematic Prelude

sgentzen

I posted a couple notes on the Fountain Pen board about some problems that I'm having with this new Prelude that I acquired. The problem goes away when I wash/soak the nib in soapy water but comes back the next day.

The pen just doesn't start very reliably. I had the same problem with the Scheaffer cartridge as I am with the converter full of Swisher's Midnight Black. I have a Waterman Phileas that I havaen't had any trouble with at all and is currently using the same ink in a converter. I handle/store the pens approximately the same way...when I'm not using them for a while, I cap them and sit them upright...when I'm likely to be using them, they're uncapped and resting horizontally.

When I clean the nib out (soak, rub, rinse, dry), it works fine for a while. Then usually the next day, it doesn't start without help anymore.

I used to shake it a little to get it started but that started getting messy. Lately, I've taken to having a paper towel on-hand...If I run a paper towel down from the vent hole to the tip...eventually, the towel starts drawing ink and then I can write with the pen again.

I've noticed that the ink doesn't seem to flow around inside the converter like it does in the Phileas but that may be because the plastic is darker and it's harder to see on the Prelude.

I'm still not sure if my problem is my handling of the pen or if it's a bad nib. Anyone up for trying to work it out? :D

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• southpaw

• sgentzen

• PenHero

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Sgentzen,

I have a Prelude and I can see the ink flow around inside the converter with no problem. Some Noodler's / Swisher's inks tend to be very dense. Before deciding it's a problem with the nib, I would try a problem-free ink like Waterman Florida Blue and see what happens. It also serves to "prime" the nib and converter and just helps get things going well.

HTH,

southpaw

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Sgentzen,

I have a Prelude and I can see the ink flow around inside the converter with no problem. Some Noodler's / Swisher's inks tend to be very dense. Before deciding it's a problem with the nib, I would try a problem-free ink like Waterman Florida Blue and see what happens. It also serves to "prime" the nib and converter and just helps get things going well.

HTH,

southpaw

A great suggestion, and one I would have made. I would add one additional step to your rinsing the nib with soapy water. Use Dawn dishwashing liquid and make some soapy water in a cup, use about the same proportion as if you were washing the cup. Fill and flush the pen several times with the soapy solution, empty it and let it dry. Fill the pen and see if that cures it.

I did to the fill/flush with soapy water routine previously. Maybe not this last time though. I'm definately using more dish soap than that. Maybe that's a contributor too.

I thought I had a Waterman cartridge left in the Phileas case, but I didn't. I washed the nib again last night and put in the black Sheaffer cartridge that came with the pen. When I run this cartridge out, I'll have some of the Waterman carts ready.

It's still a little slow to start, but definately better than it was with the Swishers.

So, am I understanding this correctly that the issue that I'm having could just be some kind of build up still and that running some thinner inks could flush out the problem?

So, am I understanding this correctly that the issue that I'm having could just be some kind of build up still and that running some thinner inks could flush out the problem?

Sort of - for some unknown reason, many (most?) fp's seem to do better if they are first primed with one of the wonderful, trouble-free inks from Waterman like Florida Blue. It seems to prime the pen. Run the first few fills with WM FB, and then many times it will run much better with any ink afterwards.

The other issue could be that your Prelude is a little on the dry-writing side. Mine is very wet. I ran WM FB (or purple, I can't remember which) through it for the first converter load, and now it's running with Noodler's Iraqi Indigo and works splendidly.

Run out the the Skrip cartridge, put 1-2 drops of a MILD diswashing detergent like Dawn in a cup of water and thorougly flush the pen out. I would suggest after you get the water to run clear, fill it up again and put it nib down in a cup with a couple of paper towels in it. This will clean it out well. Once empty, flush it 3-4 times with clean water. Let it dry overnight, then load up with WM FB and see what happens.

HTH, & keep us posted.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)