What Do You Actually Write?

morbidsteve

I've noticed that I spend lots of money on FPs. Just recently I've spent somewhere in the multiples of hundreds on pens, but realized that I don't write that much because I can't come up with things to write. I want to write a book or something but it just isn't happening because I'm not that creative.

With all of the money we spend on these pens, what are you actually putting them to use for? I'm super curious, and if you have any suggestions on what one could use their FPs for I'd appreciate it so I don't feel like I'm throwing money into a black hole!

Interested to hear your thoughts and what you use your FPs for.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• fountainpenlady

• pepsiplease69

• Ruth Feiertag

1. daily journal

2. letters to friends

3. to-do lists and other kinds of lists and jottings and sketches of plans and doodles

4. checks

that's most of it.

Letters to pen pals, greeting cards, and, mostly, I'm transcribing the Bible.

Debbie

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

I write many things, but my chess study is taking the most ink at the moment. I use six pens, each with a different color ink. So my chess study is always more than chess study. I use it to practice my handwriting and to cut any mental speed I may be feeling.

post-89530-0-47988300-1424232704_thumb.jpg

"It is blindly, with no project, that those who dare all advance." --Luce Irigaray

• journal writing

list making

pen pal letters

writing affirmations/bible quotes

writing inspirational sayings/poetry

writing notes to self

writing notes to others

testing out new inks/falling in love again with existing inks

practicing my cursive writing

exercising my pen collection

keeping new and existing inks flowing :wub:

Edited by fountainpenlady

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

Journals, stories, class notes, movie reviews.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

I find myself in the same position as you morbidsteve. However,I've started writing to a couple of pen pals which is good fun and I was recently given a journal which I intend to start. You could always hand write your posts for here then post them as a photo as well. There are also write to prisoner program's which may appeal,or not!

Don't believe the hype!

Daily journal. When I get wordy I will write up to about a dozen pages in a day.

Pen Pals. Besides who else would appreciate your different pens and inks more than another penaholic.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

"Besides who else would appreciate your different pens and inks more than another penaholic"

:thumbup: No truer words ever written, you have come darn close. Penaholic. I like that description.

Edited by fountainpenlady

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

All the above good suggestions, or...

you can also go here and play with your pen(s)!

Start journalling. Talk to your diary as if it was your best friend living in a different town who wants to know all about your life experiences. And it doesn't care how repetitive or boring your subject maybe. Go in a "stream of consciousness" sort of way. Put on paper whatever is on your mind at the time. It's very cathartic.

I concur with most everything that was mentioned above. I maintain to-do lists. Write letters to penpals. Keep an inventory of my inks and pens and keep track of what ink is loaded in what pen (and I refer to it quite often when I go to refill anything) That's the power of writing it down, you realize how much more you can do once you start writing.

I keep a baby journal for my 1 year old. Vital info from his doctor's visits, weight/height, and any new thing he learns or what he plays with. Believe me it might sound mundane now but somewhere down the line, maybe his wife, would treasure it forever.

If you're truly at a loss for what to write, take articles from your favorite news website or magazine, BBC, Popular Mechanics, Discover Magazine, and start copying it word for word into your book. Aimless, I know, but once you make a practice out of it, you will start enjoying it and start seeing the value of it. Maybe take articles from Wikipedia about a subject related to your trade and start transcribing those, it could also be something vastly different from your trade but something that interests your or sparks your imagination.

Select a place, a well established, well lit writing desk where you write every day. Make it your sacred place where you retreat to in order to "meditate" and sort out your thoughts. Preferably a quiet room, a library or something.

And maybe 3-4 months of regular practice, and you'll see your handwriting start improving on its own, as if by magic, without even trying. You'll start focusing on how you form your letters, you start noticing others' handwriting.

You will naturally have a writing that will start to 'wow' people. And that's when you will see the value of your work, your pen collection.

That, my friend, is precisely my story.
[and I'm sticking to it]

Edited by pepsiplease69

That, my friend, is precisely my story.

[and I'm sticking to it]

All such wonderful and inspiring suggestions. Go ahead, stick to it! I got your back, collection of much loved fountain pens and a myriad of inks! Ready? :happyberet:

All such wonderful and inspiring suggestions. Go ahead, stick to it! I got your back, collection of much loved fountain pens and a myriad of inks! Ready? :happyberet:

Thank you friend :)

I felt I had to chime in here, I used to struggle with the same question a lot when I started out with my fountain pens.