The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Ink Review: Sailor Bungbox Ink Of Witch

ink of witch purple black bungbox

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 white_lotus

white_lotus

Caution: Absinthe Distiller with Ink

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 February 2015 - 17:55

Due to the gracious generosity of an FPN member I received a lovely sample of the Bungbox Ink of Witch by Sailor. This is a special ink made for a pen/ink/stationary shop in Japan. Sailor does this a lot for the shops in Japan, often promoting colors related to the history or geography of the city where the shop resides.

The ink is quite interesting, a velvety black that can sometimes appear deep dark muted purple. The scans of writing for this ink found online indicate that it is more purple than black, but with this sample, in my pens, that's not the case. It's still a very good, very wet ink.

I'll post the chroma test later whan it dries. Mostly it looks like it'll be black with a bit of purple (surprise!).

How to obtain this ink? I'm a little unsure. There's an ebay vendor cool-japan that can get many of the specialty inks. I'd seen a post mentioning that Bungbox will ship to US, so with some help from google translate you could visit the Japanese website. But I know some colors you might need to order twelve at a time. This could be one of them. If so, maybe there'll be a group purchase at some point.

I've read that the ink shows it's purple side more with fine nibs. I haven't tried that at this point.

On inkjet paper, scan.

Ink of Witch inkjet.jpg

On laserjet paper, scan.

Ink of Witch laserjet.jpg

On moleskine, scan.

Ink of Witch moleskine.jpg

On Mohawk via Linen paper, iPhone photo, so probably darker than in reality.

IMG_2968.jpg

Waterproof tests. The ink is quite waterproof. You might loose the purple, but the black stays.

IMG_2967.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 February 2015 - 20:43

Excellent review of excellent ink. Thank you.

#3 musicman123

musicman123

The Sciency, Music Guy

• Member - Gold

• 2,158 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2015 - 05:10

This looks mostly black and a bit boring to my eyes. It is noticeably purple in the water test though. 

Is it really that black IRL or are the pictures just showing it as extremely dark?

Check out my blog at Inks and Pens

#4 white_lotus

white_lotus

• 2,615 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2015 - 13:27

In most of my pens because I use mediums, it's mostly black. In artificial light it looks more purple.

The sample on the Sailor sites show it as a deep purple, but I've never seen it that way. If you don't like black you probably won't like this ink.

#5 musicman123

musicman123

The Sciency, Music Guy

• Member - Gold

• 2,158 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2015 - 22:30

In most of my pens because I use mediums, it's mostly black. In artificial light it looks more purple.

The sample on the Sailor sites show it as a deep purple, but I've never seen it that way. If you don't like black you probably won't like this ink.

Hmmmm will keep that in mind, considering I only use B nibs. Blacks were never my favorite.

Check out my blog at Inks and Pens

#6 white_lotus

white_lotus

• 2,615 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2015 - 23:25

Here's how Sailor says it looks from their catalog.  :P

Ink of Witch example.png

Maybe it varies based on when they make it. I might try adding a bit of water to it.

#7 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,059 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2015 - 07:44

I love this ink. It's sneaky and looks black, but it isn't.  

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ink of witch, purple black, bungbox

Sponsored Content

|