The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Ink Review: Organics Studio Teddy Roosevelt Midnight's Blue

organics studio midnights blue blue blue black

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 white_lotus

white_lotus

Caution: Absinthe Distiller with Ink

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,643 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 February 2015 - 17:11

Here is my review of the OS Teddy Roosevelt Midnights' Blue. This ink was a special edition for a pen show I think, and Anderson pens had some extra OS, so I picked up a bottle. I don't think it's available at all any longer. The label color bar looked like a deep dark blue, and I love those kinds of colors. The ink is quite far from deep, dark blue, and much closer to OS Mark Twain Halley's Comet. This ink is a bit more muted in tone than the Mark Twain. 

On Moleskine, I originally didn't like it as the color came out too pale, but it's certainly usable and not bad looking. On the better paper (Mohawk via Linen) it looks nice, is quite shady. But it's not that much different from OS Mark Twain.

I'll get up on this small soapbox right here: I really wish ink producers and retailers would stop calling violet and purple, "Blue". Those two colors are not blue. They have their own names. And they are not the same thing. It doesn't seem that hard to look at the color of something written, and use the color picking software on the computer to find the right color for printing on the label. No one expects it to be exact, but if the ink is violet in the bottle, and when you write with it the color is violet, there's no reason to put some other color as the indication of what the ink looks like.

Many people are buying ink over the internet, they never get to see the actual ink nor write with it. They rely on the descriptions by the retailers, and the picture on the box (if any) of what the ink looks like, what color it is.

OK, I'm done now.

I like the color, it's just not blue, and it just seems very similar to OS Mark Twain.

The first two pictures are scans from the crappy scanner.

OS Teddy Roosevelt via Linen.jpg

OS Teddy Roosevelt Moleskine.jpg

Now here are pictures from the iPhone. These definitely show the color as darker than it really is. The scans are closer in that regard.

IMG_2960.jpg

IMG_2961.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 February 2015 - 20:44

Informative review but I don't really like this ink :)

#3 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,365 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 February 2015 - 22:06

Thanks for the review.  I think I might have liked this, had I known about it.  The first scan makes me think the color might be a bit similar to Noodler's Kung Te Cheng, but lighter.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#4 white_lotus

white_lotus

Caution: Absinthe Distiller with Ink

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,643 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 February 2015 - 22:43

The Kung Te Chung is another ink I do not have, so cannot compare, but the Teddy Roosevelt is very similar to the OS Mark Twain, so maybe that gives you an idea about it. I'd never heard of this ink either until Anderson Pens was making it available. Apparently it was a Pen Show special ink.

#5 Davros

Davros

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 06:50

I really like this one, and have held back a bottle for my own use. It bears some similarity to Kung Te-Cheng, but is softer in feel.

Thanks for the review!

Edited by Davros, 18 February 2015 - 06:51.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: organics studio, midnights blue, blue, blue black

Sponsored Content

|