An Inky Penance For Lent!

Arkanabar

Spent 8+ hours working the lutefisk feed. Had it straight and with butter, salt, and pepper. Needed habanero sauce though. Got back and immediately showered and washed clothes. Tomorrow, I go back and cook for another event.

I just don't celebrate holidays, etc. Don't really see much use in restricting ink use during certain periods of the year, or in using different inks in different periods of the year. The dates on the calendar are little more than man's inaccurate attempts to catalog the passage of time. Holidays just mean time when it's difficult to get things done, or in my line of work, when crime rate goes up.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arkanabar

• SeeksAdvice

• transcend

• haruka337

I'm giving up on unmixed black ink for the whole year instead.

just realized I don't want to do that either.

I'm out.

I'm going to Hell anyway

Now I'm off to the Ink Review Forum

As John Derek said in Knock on Any Door (paraphrase) Live fast, die young and have an ink-stained corpse

I've always believed that it is better to take on a worthwhile task in Lent rather than giving up something trivial. Why don't you copy the Gospel of John with your fountain pen? Use any color ink that seems suitable.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Of course doing good and worthwhile things remains good and worthwhile during Lent. But taking up a voluntary privation as a penance for sins (and we all sin) helps one to first, practice discipline when facing temptations of the flesh, and second, to take on (in a limited way) the privations which Christ did. There are reasons why God's people have a history of forbearing from pleasure when feeling penitential.

And I'm already in the process of taking notes on the every paragraph of the Catechism.

Sounds like an awful lot of work for no reward.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

Of course doing good and worthwhile things remains good and worthwhile during Lent. But taking up a voluntary privation as a penance for sins (and we all sin) helps one to first, practice discipline when facing temptations of the flesh, and second, to take on (in a limited way) the privations which Christ did. There are reasons why God's people have a history of forbearing from pleasure when feeling penitential.

And I'm already in the process of taking notes on the every paragraph of the Catechism

Did you seriously compare what happened to Christ to giving up colored inks for 6 weeks?

NcGibbon,

I don't believe Arkanabar is comparing his privations with those of Jesus. Giving up something one loves during Lent, "in a limited way" gives one some level of understanding (as miniscule as it may be) of the privations Jesus went through. It also serves a double purpose in reminding the penitent that one can go without those worldly goods we so often feel we cannot live without.

Take care! :D

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

• 1 year later...

Well, the penance has evolved a bit.

In the fountain pens I carry, I use only black ink. If it is a feast day, then I may use any of the pens that were filled with colored inks on Shrove Tuesday.

If I have a breast pocket, the pen I use is a Noodler's Nikita (the updated version is the Charlie), and the ink dilute (5:4) Bad Black Moccasin. BBM is my least favorite black. My wife let it dry up in one of her Nib Creapers, and I'll need the ultrasonic cleaner to get it all out. I chose this pen because I can pull out the nib and feed with relative ease, and scrub them with a toothbrush, should the need arise.

I'm not willing to carry an eyedropper in a pocket where it may lay on its side. So, if I don't have a breast pocket, then I'll use my Bulow X750. Like the Nikita, it can be pulled entirely apart for scrubbing. Or I may simplify, and use the Hero 616 I keep filled with dilute (2:1) Borealis Black for my bullet journal.

And if I have need of other colors of ink, then I'll use some other kind of pen, e.g. a red Pilot Precise V5 for markup.

Maybe keeping all the colours and keeping off FPN/the Internet would be a more appropriate form of ascetism? Indeed at least that's likely to be my plan... Not wholly so - a lot of my work requires being online, but I will be shutting the thing down after the evening meal and do my best to spend the time in a more sensible manner - reading, writing, printing in the darkroom, etc...

Above all shadows rides the Sun
And Stars for ever dwell:
I will not say the Day is done,
Nor bid the Stars farewell.

---

photography: andrejkutarna.net

Hello Arkanabar & Thehobbit,

This is interesting... as a practicing Roman Catholic myself; I had planned on putting a moratorium on buying any new pens or inks for Lent... but to use only black ink or to give up FPN completely... ??? The latter one would really be rough... but it might just help save a soul or two. :)

- Anthony

Hello Arkanabar & Thehobbit,

This is interesting... as a practicing Roman Catholic myself; I had planned on putting a moratorium on buying any new pens or inks for Lent... but to use only black ink or to give up FPN completely... ??? The latter one would really be rough... but it might just help save a soul or two. :)

- Anthony

Well, in my case it's not just fpn - it's simply switching off the computer and the gadgets at a certain point of the day. Been doing this (or attempting) for several years - and it does bring a great benefit - mostly for my own soul :)

Above all shadows rides the Sun
And Stars for ever dwell:
I will not say the Day is done,
Nor bid the Stars farewell.

---

photography: andrejkutarna.net

I used to give up candy for Lent, when I was a kid. And then when Easter Sunday came all of us would devour those chocolate bunnies, and the other candy.

I am glad to say that I no longer participate in such rituals. In fact, in the next couple of weeks I plan to start testing some inks and ink samples that I've been meaning to get to for a long while.

We each seek our own form of fun ;) .

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

Well, in my case it's not just fpn - it's simply switching off the computer and the gadgets at a certain point of the day. Been doing this (or attempting) for several years - and it does bring a great benefit - mostly for my own soul :)

I know what you mean. :D

- Anthony

...I am glad to say that I no longer participate in such rituals...

Mmmm, that's a shame. :( You'll be missing out on all the fun. ;)

- Anthony

Mmmm, that's a shame. :( You'll be missing out on all the fun. ;)

No I won't.You have your fun and I have mine. Diversity in fun is the usual reality.

I've got my fun going on.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell