The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

An Inky Penance For Lent!

black ink

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Arkanabar

Arkanabar

Ain't I a stinker?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:30

I am taking up a particular penance for Lent.  I shall not write with colored ink.  I will only use black ink for my writing.  For notes, journaling, correspondence, and other writing, I shall use only black ink from Ash Wednesday to Easter.  Any pens with colored ink (other than Widow Maker; see below) get flushed on Ash Wednesday, if I don't do it Shrove Tuesday.  And other than for flushing, the pens with colored ink don't get uncapped once Ash Wednesday starts.

The sole exception is that I'm going to keep my Plaisir filled with Widow Maker (a color I don't enjoy using) for purposes of markup.  I need to mark up a document I produce daily at work, and the markup has to be immediately apparent whenever I look at it.  My wife may also ask me to look over some of her homework, and I will use it for marking that up also.

Sponsored Content

#2 sombrueil

sombrueil

sad, but true

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:43

A noble sacrifice. Doubt I would be capable of it myself.

#3 Davros

Davros

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:51

Um. Well. That sounds unpleasant. Good luck? (what is the appropriate response to self-inflicted deprivation?)

#4 Arkanabar

Arkanabar

Ain't I a stinker?

• Member - Gold

• 2,647 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:09

Um. Well. That sounds unpleasant. Good luck? (what is the appropriate response to self-inflicted deprivation?)

"God give you grace." :D

#5 Wheatflower

Wheatflower

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:03

That's a great idea, Arkanabar. One of the things I'll be doing is observing a pen- and ink-buying fast: from Ash Wednesday to Easter I'll have to be content with what I have. (This will get painful if Massdrop runs another buy-in for Lamy Studios.)

And may God grant you grace!
Fountain Pens: Still cheaper than playing Warhammer 40K

#6 Davros

Davros

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 13:54

"God give you grace." :D

Thanks! I grew up in a tradition without Lent.

#7 Arkanabar

Arkanabar

Ain't I a stinker?

• Member - Gold

• 2,647 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 February 2015 - 02:43

It's a season of penance.  Self-mortification is supposed to separate one from the things of this world that draw one away from God. 

#8 seanruss

seanruss

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 07:06

now, it would just to decide which black to use? there are many? Zhivago, graphite, dark matter, and many more to choose from

#9 RudyR

RudyR

Man O' Blues

• Member - Gold

• 935 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 February 2015 - 07:55

Self mortification is not part of my culture. Neither is color deprivation. To be confined in using black ink solely is cruel and causes the brain to languish and eventually lead to ossification. Don't do this to yourself.

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

#10 Pensfan

Pensfan

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 February 2015 - 23:41

Will you be celebrating the Feast Days (Sunday) with bold colors in all your pens?  

:)

this year, or this month, or, more likely, this very day, we have failed to practice ourselves the kind of behavior we expect from other people.
~ C.S. Lewis

#11 Maurizio

Maurizio

Scribbler

• Member - Gold

• 1,229 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 February 2015 - 00:17

Wow this is so much worse than giving up chocolate. I couldn't do it.

May God grant you grace.

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace

Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

#12 transcend

transcend

giant douche

• Member - Bronze

• PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 February 2015 - 00:36

That would be hard.  Interesting.  I hate it, but that's the point.  ugh, why did i come here.  why did you put this evil thought in my head???

#13 Paddler

Paddler

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,085 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 February 2015 - 14:25

Hey, cool idea!

You could take it a step farther. Buy a fresh bottle of ink in your favorite color and save it for midnight on Good Saturday. Then you can repair to the scriptorium and have a little ritual for "Opening the New Ink".

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

#14 Arkanabar

Arkanabar

Ain't I a stinker?

• Member - Gold

• 2,647 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:15

now, it would just to decide which black to use? there are many? Zhivago, graphite, dark matter, and many more to choose from

I have access to the following:  Noodler's Borealis Black, Bad Black Moccasin, and Heart of Darkness; some old Parker Quink Permanent Black with Solv-X, and some Montblanc-Simplo Black with SuperCleaner SC21.  I'll be trying all of them in the same pen over the Lenten season, and plan to write reviews as I go along.

Will you be celebrating the Feast Days (Sunday) with bold colors in all your pens?  

:)

Nope.  I would lose discipline.  To put ink in a pen, and flush it at the end of the day, without writing it out?  Or to leave it in front of me all week, drying out?  I couldn't do it.  I will probably indulge myself from my OTHER Lenten fast on feast days, however.

Hey, cool idea!

You could take it a step farther. Buy a fresh bottle of ink in your favorite color and save it for midnight on Good Holy Saturday. Then you can repair to the scriptorium and have a little ritual for "Opening the New Ink".

Nope.  Amberlea gifted me with a satchet of Blackstone Blue Cashmere, in return for providing the epithet "Elegant" for the fifth series of Blackstone powdered inks.  While I MAY consider mixing that up on Easter Sunday or Easter Monday, no promises.  And I might buy myself samples of Bilberry and/or Yama-Guri to try out once the Easter season has started.

Edited by Arkanabar, 20 February 2015 - 01:17.

#15 SeeksAdvice

SeeksAdvice

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,246 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 February 2015 - 04:36

Hmm, I think during this season I shall use whatever ink I so choose, like I do every other "season".  I will, however, eat the Friday fish fries.

This weekend though, I'm at the Lutheran Church cooking a whole different kettle of fish.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

#16 bone215

bone215

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2015 - 02:51

God give you grace, an excellent answer.
The other option, as I understand my faith's teachings, is you can do without something, or you can add something, e.g. service to the poor or other acts of kindness.
As I grow older, I believe in just being nice to everybody.
Be Happy, work at it. Namaste

#17 SeeksAdvice

SeeksAdvice

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,246 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2015 - 05:48

Doing "good things" or acts of kindness tends to come back and bite me in the ***.  As the line goes, no good deed goes unpunished.

Just seems silly restricting ink use to one color.  Perhaps it can work in arenas that aren't terribly picky, but in my line of work, sometimes you need blue sometimes you need black.  Besides, in the end, is it that much of a sacrifice?  Black is an excellent utilitarian choice anyway.  Now, Iroshizuku "Cosmos" is a different story.

Tomorrow it is time for something that's a tradition up here.  Lutefisk *shudder*.  If you want sacrifice, try that stuff.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

#18 Arkanabar

Arkanabar

Ain't I a stinker?

• Member - Gold

• 2,647 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2015 - 17:11

God give you grace, an excellent answer.
The other option, as I understand my faith's teachings, is you can do without something, or you can add something, e.g. service to the poor or other acts of kindness.
As I grow older, I believe in just being nice to everybody.

To love your neighbors and enemies (ie, to seek out their authentic good without consideration of recompense) is already a Christian obligation.  Extra prayers on their behalf are always good, and rarely objected to.

Doing "good things" or acts of kindness tends to come back and bite me in the ***.  As the line goes, no good deed goes unpunished.

Just seems silly restricting ink use to one color.  Perhaps it can work in arenas that aren't terribly picky, but in my line of work, sometimes you need blue sometimes you need black.  Besides, in the end, is it that much of a sacrifice?  Black is an excellent utilitarian choice anyway.  Now, Iroshizuku "Cosmos" is a different story.

Tomorrow it is time for something that's a tradition up here.  Lutefisk *shudder*.  If you want sacrifice, try that stuff.

The problems with doing good for others are first, discerning their authentic good, and second, that they may not want what is authentically good for them.

I'm in health care.  The only color required is black, and CMS (the largest payer in the US by far) requires that only black ink be used in the record.  As the records guy, it has fallen upon me to occasionally warn people not to use colored inks or pencils. 

Still, I find that I miss my Noodler's Blue, my Diamine Sherwood, and even tho they aren't very lightfast, my Slovenian Skrip Turquoise and Waterman Violet, which I'd use for things other than the record.

I'd have to agree that lutefisk does sound fairly awful.

Edited by Arkanabar, 21 February 2015 - 17:12.

#19 transcend

transcend

giant douche

• Member - Bronze

• PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2015 - 20:44

I'm giving up on unmixed black ink for the whole year instead.

Edited by transcend, 21 February 2015 - 21:11.

#20 haruka337

haruka337

( •̀ω•́ )✧

• Member - Gold

• 1,611 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2015 - 23:11

This is a great idea for Lent!

I'm still in the early stages of acquiring inks, so its absence, at this time, would not have have a strong impact. Next year, however, this manner of self-denial will be painful.

Good luck!

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: black ink

Sponsored Content

|