Zebra G-Nib Titanium?

Icywolfe

My understanding is that TiN (not to be confused with tin) is a coating to make the surface both smoother and last longer of whatever it is on. In this case, the same underpinnings of a normal Zebra G. The whole thing is not Titanium. Last I looked on Amazon, if I recall the prices correctly, it was $11 for ten regular Zebra G, $33 for ten Titanium Zebra G. So I guess the real question is do they last at least three times as long? Four? Sounds like they are at least marginally worth it. But I still have my original Zebra G in my prototype Daedalus, and it's basically sitting around forlornly waiting for me to wake up early enough to beat the east coast stampede to buy out the latest shipment of De Atramentis Document ink before I even check my email announcing it is back in stock (and back out by the time I wake up here on the west coast). I suppose I should get a set for normal dip holders anyway.

I think I have come to the conclusion that they are not worth it. Ok, I do like the look of them in preference to the regular Zebra G's, but other than that I can get approximately 30 nibs for the same price as 10 TiN versions. So while the tin nibs to last longer, for me at least neither of them have corrosion problems, 30 of them will last well over a year.... Would be interested in others thoughts if they have used the TiN nibs.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ainterne

• Icywolfe

• Goudy

• Limner

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well an update....

I see discoloration on the metal between the tine. Not sure if it's just ink etching or rust.

The tip somehow feels a bit shorter but still smooth. The flex is still there.

Am I getting the money worth? YES! :)

#Nope

My feeling is that the regular Zebra G has a slightly softer, easier flex than the Titanium version, and is a little smoother on the upstrokes. I prefer the former for sketching. But this is only based on my use of a couple of each type, and the difference is marginal.

After two months using both types of Zebra G in fountain pens and dip pen holders, I can see no evidence of corrosion on any of the nibs when examining with a loupe. However, after a few weeks in a Desiderata one of the regular nibs did start to snag on the page a lot and needed to be replaced - perhaps the result of corrosion damage between the tines? The pen was inked the whole time.

I think for dip pen use where it's easier to clean and dry the nib after use I would stick to the cheaper regular nib.

http://i.imgur.com/utQ9Ep9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

After rusting away 3 Zebra G nibs in a bit over a month after getting my Desiderata with R&K Salix doing a bad impression on the nibs I finally switched to the Titanium Version. Inked for two weeks straight now. Changed to Sailor Sei-Boku today and cleaned the nib for that, no sign of rust/corrosion anywhere to be found. So well yes they will very likely be my choice for the nibs now. Cleaning the oil off of the nib and doing all the fiddly adjustments to get it writing to my liking is just not really nice to deal with on a weekly base.

The Titanium does feel a bit rougher (not as smooth a writer as the original Zebra G ones, it seems to have a bit of a tooth), but overall really comparable and exceptional resistance against corrosion.

My Pens/Nibs (inked/active): Lamy Studio/Vista/Joy (XXF slight-flex custom | 14k EF | EF | F | 14k M | M | B | 14k 1.1 custom | 1.1 | 1.5 | 1.9), TWSBI Diamond 580 (F | Pendleton BadBoy | Zebra G | F.P.R. semi-flex), Pilot Falcon EF, Penkala Vintage 14k semi-flex, Pilot Parallel (2.4 | 3.8 | 6.0)

http://www.fp-ink.info/img/button.pngI'm still looking for help/data/supporters/sponsors for my Ink Database - It already contains over 900 Inks but is still low on data about the inks except on the Inks I got myself or where I found nice data sheets. So Im looking for these: InkSamples mailed to me, Permissions to use InkReviews - preferable by people who have a lot of InkReviews online, InkReviews mailed to me so I can scan them, Sponsors that will help me to finance InkSamples, People willing to trade InkSamples (list of available Inks from me is available via PM request - please include available Inks)

• 2 years later...

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I figured it's nice to keep this information in one searchable place.

I've read reviews on two different types of Zebra G nib (regular and gold tone "titanium") and this thread, and some reviewers say that the titanium version is smoother, others say it's scratchier than the original. I'm not sure if it's just due to sample variation of the tip surface as well as some alignment issues. I'd like to get a box to use with a Jinhao X750 and don't need corrosion resistance; what I'm interested in is smoothness in writing, having just experienced a very scratchy vintage Copperplate nib which is *very* difficult to write with.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

FWIW Paper Ink Arts also sells gum Arabic powder. Item gumpow at $3.75 US

I have one example of a Zebr-G in titanium and I do seem to get a finer line than the standard but otherwise cannot tell a difference in "feel". Sadly, I have hands like Popeye and lack finesse. The titanium is easier to clean but rusting of nibs has never been a problem for me.

Edited by DipIt

While I have not used the Zebra G Titanium nib yet, I have every confidence that it will perform as advertised. That is, it will last four times as long as the regular G nib and will give better, smoother performance overall. Mostly I feel this way because I am familiar with titanium and how well it works. A noble metal, resistant to chemical action and harder than most metals. I have razor blades coated with TiN -- they last longer and perform better than that same brand's regular blades. Which, I might add, last quite well. John Neal, Bookseller (www.johnnealbooks.com) carries the Zebra G TiN nib for $4.50 each, that makes it well worth buying and trying.

Best of luck to you, enjoy,

Woah, you can get a box of 10 on amazon for under $20.

https://www.amazon.com/Zebra-Comic-Professional-Titanium-PG-7B-C-K/dp/B00LUD4DAY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502254555&sr=8-1&keywords=zebra+G+titanium

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I figured it's nice to keep this information in one searchable place.

I've read reviews on two different types of Zebra G nib (regular and gold tone "titanium") and this thread, and some reviewers say that the titanium version is smoother, others say it's scratchier than the original. I'm not sure if it's just due to sample variation of the tip surface as well as some alignment issues. I'd like to get a box to use with a Jinhao X750 and don't need corrosion resistance; what I'm interested in is smoothness in writing, having just experienced a very scratchy vintage Copperplate nib which is *very* difficult to write with.

I have not used the titaniums but I have two boxes of steels. They're very smooth, but after a couple months become a bit scratchy as they corrode - a quick smoothing on some micro mesh fixes it right up.

I don't suggest the X750 for this purpose. you will constantly need to be priming the feed. Get a noodlers ahab or Konrad. The feed on those pens can keep up.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)