Twsbi 580 Diamond Usa Fountain Pen Purchase

fountainpenlady

Well, I did it!

I have only moments ago purchased my first TWSBI.

Ordered the TWSBI 580 USA Fountain Pen version.It is the one with the American flag on the cap. It was almost an easy decision. It will be the first fountain pen I will try not to post; I am a pen poster usually. It will begin its journey to me tomorrow. Thanks to Vanness. I am so excited and can hardly wait. I am so excited!

Touted as the first of my several gifts to self for my birthday next month. I am going to try to not open it or the accompanying bottles of Iroshizuku inks until then, 36 days away. :gaah:

Can I do it? We shall see, we shall indeed see if I am up to the challenge; XF point nib of course.

Many years ago, spent time in the military, husband was a soldier, now residing near a base; it will be my wonderful sort of tribute, reminder, source of solidarity when I travel on base and write with my TWSBI 580. Showing my own version of Military Pride. What color ink will be filled in it first? :bunny01:

Edited by fountainpenlady

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainpenlady

• penviper

• canadian

• pearlfection

Top Posters In This Topic

I also got my first AL TWSBI 580 F-nib yesterday. I almost feel my IQ jump 20 points when I held it in my hands.

"But it is the same with humanity as with the tree. The more he seeks to rise into the height and light, the more vigorously do his roots struggle earthward, downward, into the dark and deep – into the evil." - Nietzsche, Friedrich Wilhelm. Thus Spoke Zarathustra.

I had this TWSBI too. I love Pelikan Edelstein Topaz in it. Matches almost the color of the blue parts.

Gleefully in anticipation, I am enjoying the thoughts of deciding what ink to sample when I receive the pen and some additional bottles of ink. The real challenge will be whether I can replace it, after testing and not use it again until my Birthday next month; it was my excuse to purchase it.

I too have been looking at the Pelikan Edelstein line, I would like to try either ruby or garnet. At this moment, which will probably change many times until the pen's arrival, I am thinking about making the virgin fill of my TWSBI one of the blues of Iroshizuku line. Literally, It will be the first time in years I have even thought of using blue ink. Hoping, I enjoy the experience, but not so much I do not repackage it and not use again until next month. :lticaptd:

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

I also got my first AL TWSBI 580 F-nib yesterday. I almost feel my IQ jump 20 points when I held it in my hands.

What nib choice did you decide? Vaguely, recall you had a question regarding your purchasing a TWSBI also. What nib did you decide to purchase? If you decided on a fine point or extra fine (XF is what I have ordered), do you like it? Is it what you expected? I like a really fine line, yet not as fine as the XF of a Pilot VP or Decimo. I find the Japanese line is really too thin for my taste. It makes my writing look like prehistoric pictographs. I just like something a tad bit wider than Japanese nibs offerings; their fine is a bit to wide in its delivery. How does it feel to you? What color ink did you fill it with first? I am someone who traditionally does not post my cap. All of my current pens in my collection permit me to post. Do you find it awkward to not post your cap when writing? I am afraid I'll lose it or leave it behind if I don't have a method in place to keep track of it when I am writing. Vicariously, I want to live the experience for an instant, through your recent experience. :lticaptd:

I got the American 580 and (this is how nuts I am) dedicated it to Bay State Blue! I am so glad I did that. The TWSBI lets me know how lubricating BSB is. That big broad juicy Taiwanese nib (really it's a Jowo) just loves skating across the paper on a trail of Bay State Blue. Yea, it was extravagant but I am still happy that I took the plunge.

I never post, though. If you love to post, next time consider the Mini. It has threads to keep the cap on securely. I have a rose gold and white Mini and like it. The nibs don't have the spring and feedback of the full sized pens but they are great nails. Hold a lot of ink as well.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

I got the American 580 and (this is how nuts I am) dedicated it to Bay State Blue! I am so glad I did that. The TWSBI lets me know how lubricating BSB is. That big broad juicy Taiwanese nib (really it's a Jowo) just loves skating across the paper on a trail of Bay State Blue. Yea, it was extravagant but I am still happy that I took the plunge.

I never post, though. If you love to post, next time consider the Mini. It has threads to keep the cap on securely. I have a rose gold and white Mini and like it. The nibs don't have the spring and feedback of the full sized pens but they are great nails. Hold a lot of ink as well.

Bay State Blue. I am going to put that on my quickly ever growing list of inks to sample.

It was such a difficult decision. If you knew how much research I conducted before selecting this model.... :lticaptd: This was more detailed in research than any other life choice I have had to make so far. Decided on this model, because I think the mini lacks length, unless you post. Kind of without thinking, I post, I really don't think about it. Yet, there is something about having to post intentionally in order to give pen the length needed, which I did not think I would be comfortable doing routinely. Pens in my collection are either ones which have height, like the Lamy, Pelikan M800, Bexley or like the M600, the circumference, overall feel and weight perfect. The M800 and Bexley America the Beautiful are the most similar in that they have circumference, and height, even if one were to choose to not post. I just have always posted. Honestly, and seriously, had not made a definite decision, until I was ordering the pen. It was then I decided to deal w/having one pen in my collection,which I do not post in pursuit of the amount of ink you can fill it with being 2ml, not 1ml. Also, it having the height even without posting it. After getting used to pens with height and I would say a medium circumference to large, don't want to really go any shorter or thinner in the pen's feel or girth.

Believe for the moment, I want to perhaps make it the primary pen for my using different inks I have fallen in love with recently. If I write the name one more time of those currently I enjoy, you and others are likely to think I work for company. I perhaps have immediately become spoiled with being comfortable using different colors other than red. Funny, how something becomes your pleasure, signature, comfort zone and then when you just try something new, find what others perhaps take for granted so fresh, new, adventurous, exciting. For me it is like waking up to finding out not only are there other colors of rose-colored glasses, they are kind of almost more exciting in which to view the world!

What nib choice did you decide? Vaguely, recall you had a question regarding your purchasing a TWSBI also. What nib did you decide to purchase? If you decided on a fine point or extra fine (XF is what I have ordered), do you like it? Is it what you expected? I like a really fine line, yet not as fine as the XF of a Pilot VP or Decimo. I find the Japanese line is really too thin for my taste. It makes my writing look like prehistoric pictographs. I just like something a tad bit wider than Japanese nibs offerings; their fine is a bit to wide in its delivery. How does it feel to you? What color ink did you fill it with first? I am someone who traditionally does not post my cap. All of my current pens in my collection permit me to post. Do you find it awkward to not post your cap when writing? I am afraid I'll lose it or leave it behind if I don't have a method in place to keep track of it when I am writing. Vicariously, I want to live the experience for an instant, through your recent experience. :lticaptd:

A fine gentleman like me only deserves a Fine nib. I also obtained a J. Herbin Lierre Sauvage bottle of ink (made in france to assist with my French courses, final exam is this week, and now I know for sure that I'll do well).

I don't post my pens generally. I like the feeling of the cap lying around, as if its a sign that things needs to be wrapped up when the writing is over. Its difficult for me to lose my pen's lids, even with cheap disposable BICs.

Anyway, this is an awesome pen. Even the owners of the pen store were marveling at the line. Infact the first line they uttered were "these pens are beautiful, I might take one for myself". They had VAC and a couple of different models of the 580. I told them that Neil Gaiman uses a TWSBI, and that maybe after buying this pen I too will become a famous writer, and they began to laugh.

The pen writes slightly smoother than my Lamy Safari, but the handling is what sets both pens apart. TWBSI is slightly heavier and holding it in hand is a totally different experience.

"But it is the same with humanity as with the tree. The more he seeks to rise into the height and light, the more vigorously do his roots struggle earthward, downward, into the dark and deep – into the evil." - Nietzsche, Friedrich Wilhelm. Thus Spoke Zarathustra.

m. Canadian,

Merci beaucoup !
vous ferez certainement bien sur vos examens de français cette semaine.
au revoir

I have the Taiwan version which is the same as the USA version except the cap finial design. I put in kon peki and it was super smooth with the B nib. Too wet for the 1.1

wonder how many of such usa or ROC logo twsbi did they release... wonder should I ink them?

Don't know, but what surprised me is that I thought there was only one version of the USA TWSBI. If you won't, when I receive mine, I surely will do so. There are two versions of the USA TWSBI apparently. One with the TWSBI logo on the finial. I am receiving mine from Vanness and Bob, believe that was his name, asked me which version I wanted to purchase. I looked at their site and only saw one. He directed me to the TWSBI site and sure enough there is one version with the TWSBI logo on cap top and one version with the American flag on the finial. I selected the one with the flag.

I hold the cap of my 530 in my left hand as I write with the right hand. That gives my left hand something to do. :D I am a poster, but some pens just can't be posted for various reasons; balance is the primary reason, the pen has to feel balanced in my hand, NOT tail heavy with a heavy cap posted.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I hold the cap of my 530 in my left hand as I write with the right hand. That gives my left hand something to do. :D I am a poster, but some pens just can't be posted for various reasons; balance is the primary reason, the pen has to feel balanced in my hand, NOT tail heavy with a heavy cap posted.

However, a left hander is working with a right brain. I'll have to figure that one out once it arrives. In terms of the cap, I will have to figure out something which works for me, since I am a creature of habit and if I do something different, I might leave the cap behind somewhere. Literally, I left my library card at the library because I failed to return it to its compartment where routinely kept. I will have to sort out a fool proof place, plan or I could be walking around with a TWSBI and no cap. :angry:

Don't know, but what surprised me is that I thought there was only one version of the USA TWSBI. If you won't, when I receive mine, I surely will do so. There are two versions of the USA TWSBI apparently. One with the TWSBI logo on the finial. I am receiving mine from Vanness and Bob, believe that was his name, asked me which version I wanted to purchase. I looked at their site and only saw one. He directed me to the TWSBI site and sure enough there is one version with the TWSBI logo on cap top and one version with the American flag on the finial. I selected the one with the flag.

https://fromthepencup.wordpress.com/2014/07/03/a-second-chance-the-twsbi-diamond-580rb/