Hello From The Frozen Wastes Of Upstate New York.

windweaver

Hi there pen lovers :)

My real name is Michelle, but I'm a sailing enthusiast so I had to pick a name that fit me and this was it.

The bad weather may have had something to do with my new fountain pen obsession. I was very sad 2 weeks ago when I lost my beloved medium point blue marbled Waterman Phileas fountain pen that I had for 6 years. (insert big crocodile tears here)

I then totally freaked out when I found out that new ones weren't available for under a hundred twenty five bucks!!!! I paid $40 for mine in staples. So I bought one of them there 125$ pens and although who I thought it would be a medium point, It turned out to be a fine. and it's a bit scratchy. :( And I don't love it nearly as much. This started a search for another pen which has proven to cause my fountain pen addiction. I not sure it has enriched my life but it is certainly a new chapter. I had no idea I cared so much about my pen until I lost it. It was so sad.

Anyway, two weeks later, I own 2 fountain pens and I am waiting for 3 more to come in the mail. I am fascinated by obtaining the perfect flexpen because I am an artist and I love to draw. I ordered a Waterman 52 from eBay, which probably needs all kind of help but I am sure is still beautiful and I am going to have to figure out how to restore it. luckily I am somewhat of an artisan jeweler too and shouldn't have too much trouble. (Yeah right!) At least I own most of the tools. I am also eagerly awaiting the arrival of a TWSBI and a nicely restored Wahl Oxford select O Matic with a medium flex nib...

but I still miss my Phileas...

It's a twisted passion.

hopefully I can breathe the -30% wind chills long enough to get to my mailbox and see what arrives today...

Edited by windweaver

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• windweaver

• FPgal

• Ron Z

• Misfit

Hi and welcome to FPN

Sorry to hear about your lost Phileas. And yes, a replacement often writes differently. Even if you would have gotten an M again it would probably have been different, as these nibs don't go by exact micrometer measurements.

Anyway, a great opportunity to explore strange new pen worlds... Why not try a Pilot Metropolitan?

Enjoy your (coming) pens, and our forum

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Is there something that I can do to make my fine point Phileas nib less scratchy? would gently sanding the tip with some Ultra fine Sandpaper help?

Welcome from a fellow North Country resident! You can try using a 12000 grit micro mesh sandpaper to smooth your nib, or it might just be misaligned tines, but I would recommend practicing on some cheap pens first.

Welcome from a fellow North Country resident! You can try using a 12000 grit micro mesh sandpaper to smooth your nib, or it might just be misaligned tines, but I would recommend practicing on some cheap pens first.

Ditto that. As an owner of one of those original $40 blue Phils (mine writes like a garden hose), I feel the OP's pain. Not to mention wind chills.

So be careful! Get a loupe or magnifying glass and first make sure the tines are aligned. Manicure nail buff sticks seem gentler than sandpaper and even the pros use 'em. Good luck and welcome aboard.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

So glad to have you part of the FPN Community. I am another owner of one of the original Phileas - given to me by a physician I worked for. Still have it and the original booklet in its original box. Once you find out if your tines are either aligned or misaligned, 12000 micromesh hjas worked to smooth several of my nibs. Just do not be too forceful if you have to use the micromesh. After a couple of circle 8s, check to see how it writes before preceding on. I have both 8000 & 12000 micromesh I keep on hand for such occasions. Never tried the manicure nail buff sticks, but it sounds like another option.

Welcome to the forums Michelle!

I used to live in the Finger Lakes region. I've sailed around Oswego and also Sackets Harbor a few times.

+++Respect for anyone who sails Ontario.

Maybe adjusting the flow on your new Phileas will help.

Welcome, from a former Upstate NY resident. I lived in Syracuse for 32 years before moving to western PA a little over a year ago. I will confess, I miss the antique shops and driving around NY and the Finger Lakes. I do not miss the snow. At all. Not a bit. Ever. Or the ridiculous cold.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Welcome, Windweaver !

The Waterman Phileas was discontinued over two year ago. My original blue cost $19 years ago.

The same pen two years ago (I wanted a spare.) cost $40. They are pretty to find at any price.

Some people are selling the Kultur as a Phileas. The Kultur is a cheaper cousin with steel or chrome

nib, clip, and accents.

Nib smoothing is an irreversible, surgical procedure. There is ONE correct way to do it, and 99 WRONG

ways. I suggest you "smooth" your nib by writing a lot. No harsh shortcuts, please.

The Phileas is a joy to use.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Welcome, Windweaver !

The Waterman Phileas was discontinued over two year ago. My original blue cost $19 years ago.

The same pen two years ago (I wanted a spare.) cost $40. They are pretty to find at any price.

Some people are selling the Kultur as a Phileas. The Kultur is a cheaper cousin with steel or chrome

nib, clip, and accents.

Nib smoothing is an irreversible, surgical procedure. There is ONE correct way to do it, and 99 WRONG

ways. I suggest you "smooth" your nib by writing a lot. No harsh shortcuts, please.

The Phileas is a joy to use.

I, too, have a Phileas, purchased at Office Depot for peanuts (compared to other pens in my collection). It's a nice writer, but I can't bring myself to pay such high prices as they now list for, compared to what I paid for the one.

The Kultur is pretty much the same thing as a Phileas - clear plastic, nickel trim, and all that yes, but the parts are interchangeable, and the nib quality pretty much the same. I had a bunch about 8 years ago, and was selling them for under $20. It's just missing the bling of the gold plated furniture and nib, and fancy plastic. You can still buy a Kultur on Amazon.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Welcome to FPN! :)

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

okay so I figured out what I bought both are in good condition. The first was a lady garland with an accountant nib. The nib is visible it could be a lady Patricia as well not sure which. That second pen right above is a Taperite Crusader I believe. I am sure they will need restoration and if I can successfully restore them both I will have a nice girl/ boys set of pens that are supposed to have fairly flexible nibs. Apparently it lets me put links in here but not pictures-must be my browser or something.

so yeah that thing I thought was a Waterman 52 turned out to be the lady Patricia. I'm fairly certain of this could be a lady Corinth. Or a lady Garland but they are all versions of pretty much exactly the same pen. As far as I can tell I hope I don't break them apart when I try to get them apart. I have read lots of stuff about this.

Edited by windweaver

Hi Windweaver,

Welcome to FPN! I've enjoyed reading your posts about your Phileas pen repair hopes. I have very similar feelings about my pair of Phileas pens and have currently put them into dry storage. In the meantime, I have also gone through a kind of pen buying binge, which has subsided for now, since the semester has started. I used to live in Albany, and I imagine it isn't easy to find a pen group or shop nearby in upstate NY. Or can you? Hope you are staying warm and dry this week, as it's been rough here in the Northeast.

Best wishes,

May

Hi May.

I live in Binghamton New York. As far as I know there's nothing fountain pen related as far as groups or anything around here that I am aware of. I would really be excited to get to know some people that do it personally because even though there's lots of videos on YouTube, its nothing like hanging out with someone. Its going to be hard to find someone who can disassemble a pen in front of me and show me how not to hurt it. I know the celluloid needs to be babied. I probably will have to make do with YouTube videos for now. I know it seems funny that I just got into fountain pens and I already want to take them apart and put them back together and make them better but I do have my masters degree in art, and I have a lot of the tools and things so it's not too bad. I'm going to buy a lot of cheap old lever fountain pens on eBay to practice on. I also want to look into purchasing the materials to restore them. Actually it would be really cool if someone could recommend me a book about fountain pen restoration because it might be handy to have a reference guide. Have they written Fountain Pen Restoration for Dummies yet? ;)

Edited by windweaver

Hi Michelle (I just looked at the initial post and realized you had given your name), if you decided to write Fountain Pen Restoration for Dummies, I would definitely buy it! -- May