Cross Spire Fountain Pen Leakage Problem.

Vic557

I just bought the Spire Golden Shimmer fountain pen last week directly from Cross, the pen started leaking around the cartridge from the start. Does anyone know what is the issue? I have tried 2 different cartridges, both leak. I am about to send it back but hate to pay the 10 dollar repair fee for a unit that has problems from the start. Help?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vic557

• Ravenmoon

• RMN

• Sammyo

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi and :W2FPN:

Are you new to Fountainpens? I am going to assume you are, for now.

1st: Are you using Cross brand cartridges? They came with the pen, or did you buy separately?

A Cross cartridge should look like a sort of 3-stage-rocket. Other cartridges will not fit or sit loose.

2nd if it is the Cross cart, did you push it in fully? Sometimes people don't push the cartridge fully home, which will result in leaking.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

They are the original cartridges, both went bad and leaked profusely inside the barrel. Unacceptable. I bought the pen new from Cross, and sent it back for a replacement, we'll see what happens.

I am not new to fountainpenland, I have been using them for 40 years and have had 20 to 30 over that period. Yes, I pushed the cartridge all the way, also noticed that the cartridges are narrower and the conventional ones will not work on these narrow body pens. My guess is that the male portion of the connecting shaft in the pen has a crack in it that I cannot see and therfore leading to a leakage path.

OK, I could not read from your post you have quite some experience...

Yes the Spire is a very narrow pen and needs the narrow cross cartridges. Actually I said it wrong, these are not the 3 stage rockets but the two stage ones....

Sending them to Cross is the best option, but you were worrying about the fee...

Cross' service reputation is very good, so I expect you will get a good functioning pen.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I recently put up a post for friend at work that was having the same issue with a Classic Century (also takes the narrow cartridges).

I never got a good answer or conclusion, other than recommending to send it back to Cross... which I am not sure that he did! If you have any luck or info regarding your return I would be very interested to hear what they said.

Sorry this is not an answer or helpful, but wanted to let you know that you are not alone in this issue.

Sam O

"A fountain pen with a bad nib is like a Ferrari with a flat tyre..." - Brian Gray, Edison pens

• 2 weeks later...

About 5 says I got a second Spire Golden Shimmer fountain pen same model as the last one after returning the first one to Cross. The second pen started leaking about 3 days later, same exact problem, seems to be exacerbated when I wear the pen and my body heat heats up the pen and causes accelerated leakage as compared to the pen sitting on the desktop cold. I wrote back to cross expressing my extreme displeasure and I'll see what happens. 2 pens with the same problem, this seems to me a design problem. I'll post the updates when I hear from Cross.

My new pen leaks through the barrel onto my finger as I hold the pen and write. I need to send it back unless I want black fingers. I have not dropped the pen and do not expect this leakage to be out of misuse nor incidental damage. My confidence in Cross is quickly going down!!

About 5 says I got a second Spire Golden Shimmer fountain pen same model as the last one after returning the first one to Cross. The second pen started leaking about 3 days later, same exact problem, seems to be exacerbated when I wear the pen and my body heat heats up the pen and causes accelerated leakage as compared to the pen sitting on the desktop cold. I wrote back to cross expressing my extreme displeasure and I'll see what happens. 2 pens with the same problem, this seems to me a design problem. I'll post the updates when I hear from Cross.

Thanks for the update, I am looking forward to hearing what Cross say.

Sam O

"A fountain pen with a bad nib is like a Ferrari with a flat tyre..." - Brian Gray, Edison pens

You guys are making me nervous.

I have a couple Spires in my collection, and now I think I need to ink them to test them.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Hope it goes well ac12. I have written to Cross about this issue a week ago, no response yet. I was surprised to not get a letter of apology after returning the first one. I am going to ask for my money back when I return the second one. This is ridiculous.

• 2 weeks later...

That is a shame! I have had fantastic experiences with other Cross pens (4, no, 5 Townsends). My Spire hasn't had this issue, but I haven't used it much. My only gripe is the lack of a converter. I'll have to spend some more time with mine and see if this happens....

• 2 weeks later...

I sent my second one to Cross, I'll see what happens when I get my third one.

When I bought mine, from Cross, in 2013 they were selling off the stock of a discontinued model. Hope they still have parts.

Also I thought you were going to ask for a refund?

Edited by Matlock

Peter

I'll give them one more chance. I do like the pen. I'm still waiting for my third one. Also I fill my own cartridges since there is no converter for this one. I cannot imagine that this could be the cause of the leakage, I have been doing this for 30 years and have had no problem with many other pens. I believe that the cartridges are more likely the problem and are not up to standard in these thin pens. Leaking through the barrel however is not excusable. That is a design problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone of you fountainpenners know if Cross discontinued the golden Shimmer Spire FP? . I cannot find it in their website by Model no. I have returned my second one due to leakage issues about a, month ago, I have no t heard from Cross yet. I wonder if I am stuck!

That is a shame! I have had fantastic experiences with other Cross pens (4, no, 5 Townsends). My Spire hasn't had this issue, but I haven't used it much. My only gripe is the lack of a converter. I'll have to spend some more time with mine and see if this happens....

R

You could try to make a bulb converter out of an empty ink cartridge.

Not as elegant as a screw piston converter, but better than nothing.

What I've read is:

- get an empty cartridge, stick in in the pen

- mark and cut if off about 3/8 inch out of the section. This is where you will cement on an ink sac.

- get an ink sac of a size a little smaller than the inside diameter of the barrel, to leave an air gap around the ink sac.

- determine the length of the sac that will fit, and cut.

- cement the sac to the stub of the ink cartridge with shellac

To use it, you stick the nib into ink, squeeze the ink sac to expel air, release the sac and wait a few seconds for the ink sac to expand and suck in the ink.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com