A Newbie With A Custom Pilot

AHopelessLiteratureMajor

I need some advice for a custom Pilot: it's been in my house for more than 20 years, and nobody has ever managed to make it work. Today I took a syringe and sprayed some lukewarm soapy water inside: a HUGE wave of ink came out of the nib, painting my sink -and my hands- a nice shade of dark blue.

Now the pen writes just fine. But sooner or later I'll have to refill it (obviously), and I can't figure out how to do it: inside the pen there's just a semicircular hole. Probably the pen came with some now lost device? Or do I have to pour ink right into it?

This Pilot is a true beauty: it's black with golden Kanji characters and a 18K nib (can't upload the pictures, sorry). Does any of you have any information about this pen? I think it was made by Pilot for its managers or something like that, and it seems to be an ultra rare piece, since I've never stumbled upon another like that.

Sorry for the silly questions, but I'm new to fountain pens! :huh:

Emma

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AHopelessLiteratureMajor

• lawrenceg

• JLS1

• Obyekt

20 years old Pilot! nice pen!

You should include the pen model (if you know) or some information about the pen. Pictures will help greatly so people know which pen you have to give you advice.

Edit: spray lukewarm soapy water ---> huge wave of ink comes out = it seems like the pen has been left without proper care so the ink dried out. Don't do this, fountain pens require the right kind of handling sometime.

Edited by Downcelot

Thank you very much, Downcelot!

I knew there was dried ink inside, but I didn't expect that massive amount!!! :yikes:

I looked up the model and the closest seems to be the Elite.

Here are the pictures, sorry for the bad quality!

post-120602-0-24420300-1423942198_thumb.jpgpost-120602-0-37404800-1423942224_thumb.jpgpost-120602-0-48684700-1423942250_thumb.jpg

Edited by AHopelessLiteratureMajor

Hi looking at the picture you have a seriously beautiful and rarer type of pen.

Much nicer than the elite.

It is Buddhist Hannya Sutra (i think). Have a look at this website for more information

http://ryojusen-pens.com/17.html

Whoever bought it has a good eye and good taste.

One to clean up, use, enjoy and keep.

Oh,yes! This is my pen!!!

Thank you very much, lawrenceg! I'm so happy to know that this gem actually has a name :) and to think I used it as a toy when I was a kid...

Do you maybe have any suggestions about refilling it? I read something about converters, or maybe Pilot cartridges work just fine?

I'm planning to use it a lot!

Thanks again :)

Oh,yes! This is my pen!!!

Thank you very much, lawrenceg! I'm so happy to know that this gem actually has a name :) and to think I used it as a toy when I was a kid...

Do you maybe have any suggestions about refilling it? I read something about converters, or maybe Pilot cartridges work just fine?

I'm planning to use it a lot!

Thanks again :)

Now why can't I find something like this laying around my house?

Pilot carts or a CON 20 will work just fine in your pen. Do not attempt to use it as an eyedropper.

Now why can't I find something like this laying around my house?

Pilot carts or a CON 20 will work just fine in your pen. Do not attempt to use it as an eyedropper.

My mom just reminded me that the pen came with a converter, but somebody (a 5-year-old me) broke it. She tried to hide it from me, but I always managed to put my hands on it (a monster child, that's what I was).

Thank you for your advice! :D

Hi,

me again, as someone else has suggested go and buy a convertor for the pen followed by some nicely coloured ink (try different colours and when the ink runs out, flushing through with water between each ink colour).

I would ask you mum how, who and why it is the family as this makes the pen even more interesting and personal for you (and to let your own family know about in the future).

Ask you mum if she has the box/ case that it came in, you might be lucky.

If you are going to use it and carry it around I would make sure you have a pen case to protect it on its travels.

Enjoy it, nice pen

That looks like a beautiful pen! It looks like it has a nice story to go with it to boot. Enjoy it.

Cheers!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"The only true wisdom is knowing that you know nothing"-Socrates

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My mom got this pen in the '80s from a friend of hers, who worked for Pilot and received it as a prize for his work: he gave it to her because she looked after his house and dogs while he was away for the Paris-Dakar competition.

So, quite an interesting backstory too :)

Unfortunately the original box went missing, but I can find another somewhere else to keep it safe (although it proved itself to be extremely resistant... that's real top quality!).

I was thinking about buying some shade of purple, burgundy red and green (along with a classic black) to go with the pen. Any suggestions about the best ink brands (for a maximum of 20 euros)?

Thanks a lot to everybody for commenting! :D

Edited by AHopelessLiteratureMajor

Beautiful pen. Have you considered purchasing a new converter? Not sure if the new converters would still fit that pen, though.

For inks I would recommend Herbin Perle Noire.

My mom got this pen in the '80s from a friend of hers, who worked for Pilot and received it as a prize for his work: he gave it to her because she looked after his house and dogs while he was away for the Paris-Dakar competition.

So, quite an interesting backstory too :)

Unfortunately the original box went missing, but I can find another somewhere else to keep it safe (although it proved itself to be extremely resistant... that's real top quality!).

I was thinking about buying some shade of purple, burgundy red and green (along with a classic black) to go with the pen. Any suggestions about the best ink brands (for a maximum of 20 euros)?

Thanks a lot to everybody for commenting! :D

Since you've got a nice Pilot pen, why not go for a bottle of Pilot's Iroshizuku ink? (Murasaki Shikibu is a nice purple)

Beautiful pen. Have you considered purchasing a new converter? Not sure if the new converters would still fit that pen, though.

For inks I would recommend Herbin Perle Noire.

I tried to find a converter, but apparently they have not reached this part of the country yet :huh: I'll probably get one through amazon or ebay as soon as I can. And I'll try to get Perle Noire as well!

Thanks for the advice! :)

Since you've got a nice Pilot pen, why not go for a bottle of Pilot's Iroshizuku ink? (Murasaki Shikibu is a nice purple)

I checked it, and it's exactly the shade of purple I had in mind!!! My wallet will soon take its own life, but nevermind :)

Thanks a lot!

You can pick up a CON20 converter for a few bucks on eBay. They are somewhat less fragile than the original converter (which didn't have the metal sheath around the sac), but the fitting is the same. Pilot cartridges will also work fine.

That's a very nice find. Best I can hope for from my family is a Bic stick.