Only Gama And Asa Ebonite Pens: Am I Missing Anything?

J_MM

The other thing regarding Deccan is, i find it overpriced. A similar Gama pen costs one third compared to Deccan.

I have only two ASA - Athlete & Genius & 7-8 Gamas, 2 Wality . In my opinion ASA has much better build quality & also normal pricing

I have a Guider which I bought because it was "rare" celluloid (@hari317 has a review of that). I can only say it is a horrible pen.

As to others, i don't have much opinion. These include Ranga, Ratnamson.

Ranga does have more color varieties & they sell outside India only. AFAIK they dont have any shop in India. At Indian rates Ranga is high price - similar to Deccan (or even more). They do have good models & quickly reply to emails.

Deccan is most customer unfrindly - perhaps unless one lands at their shop. They dont even pick up phones.

In comparison I have found ASA super easy to deal and super responsive.

These are based on my experiences.

Deccan pen prices in their shop also varies. I've noted on more than one occasion that on different days (or even different branches - Abids and Ameerpet branch ,for example) their asking price will vary.. not by much perhaps (100-150 rupees).

The newer advocate hourglass section is a tad uncomfortable, but one of my Advocates, a rounded end variant, has a hourglass section that is just perfect for long hours of writing.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• a_m

• hari317

• mhguda

• WDP4BAAZ

Dear Mr. Anup Sir,

Your information on Guru details for all the brands that you listed are not correct.

Yes. I'm a software Engineer.

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

I guess you mean "not all" are correct. - which may be very much possible.

I put my savings to test

Lamy & Pilot FPs the Best

No more I even think of the rest

(Preference Fine and Extra Fine Nibs)

Pen is meant for writing - not for looking :-)

Dear Mr. Anup Sir,

I was mean to say none of them are correct. But it is not an issue.

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

Oh. Ok - I live thousand miles off

& my only sources are chatters, rumors and hearsay :-)

Would love to know details if you write it. In Japan pens are names after the ones making the pen. Off-course yours definitely belongs to that tradition. But in case of other brands, its more like an ignored backend - more like a hush -hush affair. South India, I understand have "different schools" of pen making. - though this info is again part of the grapewine :-)

I put my savings to test

Dear Mr.Anup Sir,

I too could have definitely believed if i were you.

We need to get these info from the makers only.

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

Dear Mr.Anup Sir,

I too could have definitely believed if i were you.

We need to get these info from the makers only.

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

In India that is a very optimistic statement :-)

Thanks anyway..

As such, I count you as one of the best pen manufacturers of India. Only your price inhibits my buying your pens. Frankly, despite whatever is written about Deccan, Guider, Ratnamson etc - I rate Ranga brand a notch above all those brands.

And I must also comment, I have found you very responsive compared to all these brands.

Whatever @hari317 says, for ordinary pen users like us, those brands act as if they are kind of elites. They may be providing best services to @hari317 for his familiarity and knowledge and number of pens he may be buying from them.

But I rank customer service based on how a manufacturer / seller would deal with the anonymous first time buyer who is interested to buy one pen only. And in this I must say Ranga pens are very excellent.

Wish you my best :-)

I put my savings to test

FWIW, all these firms have treated me well from the start, which is why I continued to go back and am now a long time customer of most of them. Also many a times, the response is reciprocal. From the some other responses in this thread, I can see that these firms have been treating the other customers well too. There is no way a firm can last decades without good customer service.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Whatever my experience its based on new economy shopping and not old style visit to brick & mortar shop.

Yeah - even my local pen shop treats me very well & and he has never heard of FPN. He only sells Camlin & Parker & also gives me 10 to 15% discount

He displays no ambition to sell outside by post nationally or internationally nor does he aspire to become a known brand to be discussed on FPN. But he also does not have website or facebook pages soliciting sales.

HTH

Edited by anup

I put my savings to test

• 1 month later...

I have only had interaction with Mr Kandan (Ranga) and Mr Subbu (ASA).

And though I agree Ranga and Deccan are a bit overpriced, I can only say the communication and quick response of Mr Kandan are a pleasure. A very agreable, and available, person to deal with.

Same thing for Mr Subbu - who treats the order of a small price pen as if it was a pricy pen. I thank him for his delicat attention.

Edited by fountainpagan

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

To what I wrote previously of judging seller by first query for inexpensive FP, I would add a second criteria.

If you have been regularly buying from a seller, you should see if the seller does not consider as if you are in his pocket.

Also, I have found a slick sweet speaking seller would sell you lots of average FPs over period of time - the same money which you could have spent in buying few world class FPs. But instead of focusing on the product, we being humans get swayed by human interaction and end up unnecessarily losing focus by focussing on seller.

I put my savings to test

so J_MM what indian pens have you bought till now...

My wife would say too many! But to the answer: Gama Popular, Forever, Eyas, Hawk, Raja, Kuyil and Airbourne XL, ASA Athlete, I Can (2), Genius, Patriot and Sniper soon. From FPR I have a Triveni acrylic, Junior ebonite and a Guider Marala in the mail, and finally Ranga model 3. Also a handful of the larger Wality pens.

I'd like to get a Deccan Advocate if I could find it for a reasonable price.

What do you have?

Mesu has some new Advocates in. Contact her.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Mesu has some new Advocates in. Contact her.

Thanks mhguda. I saw her listing of $45 which seems a bit steep given I can get a very similar looking ASA I Can for $35. If the Canadian dollar was not so weak I might give it a try but for now I'll wait.

I like the I Can but I do think the Advocate is a superior product. I guess it's reflected in the price, too...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

• 1 month later...

My sincere request & concern to all respected members:

The fountain pen cost especially the ebonite pens in india is sky high...I'm not & dont want to compare with that of western or branded pen costs...But still too high for indian customer...specifically students who are fond of & the patrons, supporters & continuous users of fountain pens are STILL not able to afford the cost...

Is it possible to bringdown the cost to below 200 - 150???

The most affordable range is below 100...wherein one can see fountain pen boom again in india....

Regards

Yogeesha M R

Good quality acrylics like Airmail, Mohi and Click retail for 150-350 rupees. Even Chinese pens like J599 are in the 150-200 range. Sub 100 you get school pens and some Heros. Its a question of demand and supply. Today the market for FPs is small (niche even). This results in few suppliers and higher prices.

A lifelong FP user...

My sincere request & concern to all respected members:

The fountain pen cost especially the ebonite pens in india is sky high...I'm not & dont want to compare with that of western or branded pen costs...But still too high for indian customer...specifically students who are fond of & the patrons, supporters & continuous users of fountain pens are STILL not able to afford the cost...

Is it possible to bringdown the cost to below 200 - 150???

The most affordable range is below 100...wherein one can see fountain pen boom again in india....

Regards

Yogeesha M R

The Airmail ebonite pen costs 350. I recently bought a very good eyedropper for 35 bucks. You get Fellowship pens which write decently, you also get many Airmails for around 200 bucks.

Plus you have the Camlin Elegante, Trinity, 47.. All for 200 rupees and below.

Mohi/Astra from Aurangabad are most cost competative pens as per my opinion. Of course with unique design features

Mohi/Astra from Aurangabad are most cost competative pens as per my opinion. Of course with unique design features

Would you have some pictures of their design, please?

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo