Only Gama And Asa Ebonite Pens: Am I Missing Anything?

J_MM

This is a question for the veteran Indian ebonite pen users.

I've only used Gama and ASA ebonite pens so far. I have a few models and really like them. However, there are a number of other manufacturers such as Guider, Deccan, Ranga etc.

Am I missing anything better in the ebonite pen world by only using Gama and ASA? Should I diversify?

Comments welcome.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• a_m

• hari317

• mhguda

• WDP4BAAZ

Am I missing anything better in the ebonite pen world by only using Gama and ASA? Should I diversify?

Comments welcome.

In my view you are. you must try a Deccan. I rate them very high. YMMV.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

The other pens you mention - Guider, Ranga, Deccan, also Kim, and even Airmail/Wality has some ebonite pens out, can also be very nice. Deccan are of a very good quality, but don't discount the Guiders and Rangas. I like the range in models that Ranga and Guider offer, for example. if you google images, many from right here on FPN will pop up.

There is also the possibility of a custom-made pen, e.g. by FPN member manojd.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Gosh yes you're missing a lot!

Deccan, for me, are the Lamys of India - very stately, slightly austere pens such as their brushed finish black ebonites are standouts. Very high standards.

Guider - I have three oversize ebonites (brown ripple, green ripple and black), and they're great. Also some great looking acrylics. I haven't dealt with Guider directly, bought mine in the wholesale market in Mumbai.

Ranga - "bamboo" pens, some premium ebonite in fancy colours, very responsive to customer requirements. I've bought from them, and been happy with my choice. If Deccan, to me, are the Lamy 2000s, Ranga is more like a Lamy Safari - lots of really flagrant colour! (I'm not implying anything about price range, just colour)

Ratnam and Ratnamson also worthwhile as are Mohi/Astra from Aurangabad.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

My gripe with Deccan is it uses an hourglass section - which i find very uncomfortable. I have used their regular advocate and the mini advocate.

HTH

I put my savings to test

Lamy & Pilot FPs the Best

No more I even think of the rest

(Preference Fine and Extra Fine Nibs)

Pen is meant for writing - not for looking :-)

Ah but the Deccan hourglass sections are so beautiful! and I for myself do not find them uncomfortable at all, to the contrary, they make for a very comfortable writing grip. The only Deccan pen I have without the hourglass section is the Author. A wonderful pen.

^-^. Same here. The hourglass sections are wonderful for me and are also time tested, look at the vintage Montblancs for example, they are prized for being writer's pens. Deccan makes a variety of section shapes: from the straight cylindrical on the Masterpiece, to a wonderful long taper on the Ambassador to the hourglass on the Advocate to the seamless on the Caliph.

HTH

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I've never even heard of the Caliph - can you show a picture, or link to one? Thanks in advance...

ETA and by the way, I think those Asapens with their tapered/flaring sections do have hourglass sections - only the transition is not continuous, as in the Deccans, but discrete. At least the Genius and the I Can have that.

Edited by mhguda

The difference is clear

16260488351_252b694f65.jpg

Genius section compared to advocate section (bottom) and usual gama section (top)

Edited by anup

I put my savings to test

@hari: Thank you. Such beauty! I especially like the Sailor. In your pictures the body seems seamless, and it looks like an extremely comfortable pen to me. The nib shape is interesting too! And what I like best on the Caliph, I think, may be the shape of the clip. Too bad they are so difficult to find, as you say...

The other thing regarding Deccan is, i find it overpriced. A similar Gama pen costs one third compared to Deccan.

I have only two ASA - Athlete & Genius & 7-8 Gamas, 2 Wality . In my opinion ASA has much better build quality & also normal pricing

I have a Guider which I bought because it was "rare" celluloid (@hari317 has a review of that). I can only say it is a horrible pen.

As to others, i don't have much opinion. These include Ranga, Ratnamson.

Ranga does have more color varieties & they sell outside India only. AFAIK they dont have any shop in India. At Indian rates Ranga is high price - similar to Deccan (or even more). They do have good models & quickly reply to emails.

Deccan is most customer unfrindly - perhaps unless one lands at their shop. They dont even pick up phones.

In comparison I have found ASA super easy to deal and super responsive.

These are based on my experiences.

I put my savings to test

Deccan customer service is superb, very personal, warm and courteous.

Interaction with Ratnamson has been superb, it is a pleasure to speak to Dr KV Ramanamurthy when ever I place my order over the phone.

GL Rao of Guider is a gentleman, always nice and prompt and has indeed parted with some of his rare stuff to my collection. :)

Kandan of Ranga is a very nice guy, courteous and prompt.

Subbu of ASA is a Gem.

Pratap of Gem and Co. (Gama) is a thorough gentleman and pleasure to meet and talk to.

and then there are several others.

There are only a few sour grapes in this hobby, most are really pleasant and happy people.

This is based on nearly a decade of experience talking and buying pens from most of these firms.

HTH.

Edited by hari317

I am only a user of pens and no interest in promoting any brands.

But going beyond these brands and sale aspect, i know (though not fully) - The master craftsmen of Ranga, Guider, ASA & Kim are trained under same Guru Chokalingam.

The master craftsman of Ranga is father of MP Kandan. Mr. Kandan himself being a software engineer.

I put my savings to test

Agree with you hari. Have spoken with all of them multiples of times and have found them all to be nice people genuinely interested in meeting your requirement. Some particularly good experiences below:

Nirmal Mirchandani at Airmail was kind enough to spend 30 mins with me when I barged in without any prior appointment.

Laxman Rao called back to enquire whether a problem I had had got solved.

And the guys at Deccan have never once lost their cool when I was calling them repeatedly for a set of Advocates in black ebo.

A lifelong FP user...

Agree with you hari. Have spoken with all of them multiples of times and have found them all to be nice people genuinely interested in meeting your requirement. Some particularly good experiences below:

Nirmal Mirchandani at Airmail was kind enough to spend 30 mins with me when I barged in without any prior appointment.

Laxman Rao called back to enquire whether a problem I had had got solved.

And the guys at Deccan have never once lost their cool when I was calling them repeatedly for a set of Advocates in black ebo.

Yes,Nirmal and before him, his Father, the Late Raju bhai. wonderful people.

Dear Mr. Anup Sir,

Your information on Guru details for all the brands that you listed are not correct.

Yes. I'm a software Engineer.

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

Deccan customer service is superb, very personal, warm and courteous.

Interaction with Ratnamson has been superb, it is a pleasure to speak to Dr KV Ramanamurthy when ever I place my order over the phone.

GL Rao of Guider is a gentleman, always nice and prompt and has indeed parted with some of his rare stuff to my collection. :)

Kandan of Ranga is a very nice guy, courteous and prompt.

Subbu of ASA is a Gem.

Pratap of Gem and Co. (Gama) is a thorough gentleman and pleasure to meet and talk to.

and then there are several others.

There are only a few sour grapes in this hobby, most are really pleasant and happy people.

This is based on nearly a decade of experience talking and buying pens from most of these firms.

HTH.

So true...

I visited Deccan pen stores (Abids, Hyderabad) a month ago to check and see if the Advocate (round ends) were available. The elderly gentleman there (didn't get his name) was more than happy to show us lot of Deccan models and spoke at length about how each is made. I told him that his pens are well liked and get discussed a lot on FPN and he said this.. "There is a gentleman from Mumbai who orders a lot of custom made pens..." when I asked who that was, he said .. Mr. Hari :)

Mr. Subramaniam of ASA responds to all queries no matter how trivial or repetitive. He goes over and beyond what would be resonable to accommodate any requests :). A gem of a person. I see myself as a lifelong loyal ASA customer.