The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

This Pen Worth A Repair?

repair conway stewart 759 nib

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Smothier

Smothier

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:38

First time poster here, hopefully here to be for a long time.

i just purchased this lovely Conway Stewart 759 lever filler from eBay.

Known issues with the pen

1. The tines are slightly misaligned

2. The feed looks quite dirty and solidified from bits of ink towards the bottom of the feed.

3. The pen body (presumably casein) has faded and has given the pen a more of a gray/green color

4. The tip of the cap has lost its black color completely

5. The plastic that holds the feed has faded slightly, going towards a yellow-ish color.

6. Internally, the sac has solidified and requires replacement

7. The nib is missing a tip and has become quite scratchy

Edit: 8. There is a crack at the bottom part of the pen cap,visible in the album

The pen is a bit of a mess in all honesty and I'm a bit unsure as to whether or not to keep it. The images aren't exactly the best quality so I'll try to include as much detail as possible.

I was considering sending this pen for repairs, however I feel it might be too costly and end up spending more restoring it than its value.

What do you guys think?

Edited by Smothier, 12 February 2015 - 13:29.

Sponsored Content

#2 Beechwood

Beechwood

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:42

Had the nib been complete then I would have said repair it, it will cost you £25 and you will have a pen worth £50-60.

Without an emotional attachment it doesnt make sense financially if the nib is unservicable

One minute you are driving down the road, every window open, singing along to 'I dont want to miss a thing' at top volume, the next you are driving and turning down the volume on the radio to help you see better.

#3 Smothier

Smothier

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:46

This is my first experience buying a vintage pen and the nib differs from what you'd expect in a modern pen. Ofcourse, I'm only assuming there's no tipping but it could just be it has been refined from many years of use.

Edited by Smothier, 12 February 2015 - 12:49.

#4 mirosc

mirosc

I love the smell of ink in the morning

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,622 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:52

At the moment I don't remember anyone doing retipping in Europe (in the past Romillo did sometimes, but I'm not sure if anymore). So it's shipping overseas and back, plus retipping, which itself is about $80-$200 (depending on the point and the nibmeister...)

Edited by mirosc, 12 February 2015 - 12:56.

Greetings,
Michael

#5 Smothier

Smothier

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:54

Would you suggest it'd be wiser returning the pen to the seller on eBay. 

The pen has faded substantially and it's a huge turnaway for someone like me who is attracted to the right and vibrant color of a well kept conway stewart pen.

Edited by Smothier, 12 February 2015 - 13:27.

#6 Beechwood

Beechwood

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 13:35

I cannot see the fault in the nib that you describe but if you are accurate and the seller has described the nib as good then send it back. The rest of the pen, to me, would be acceptable.

I dont think that you paid too much for the pen and an FPNer looking at this thread with a spare CS5 nib, or something that would do, would be pleased to buy the pen and improve it.

One minute you are driving down the road, every window open, singing along to 'I dont want to miss a thing' at top volume, the next you are driving and turning down the volume on the radio to help you see better.

#7 Smothier

Smothier

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 February 2015 - 13:45

Well I have until the 3rd of March so if anyone would be interested in buying it off me, then just drop a point.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: repair, conway stewart, 759, nib

Sponsored Content

|