fountainpenlady

I can't believe how short a time it has taken for me to replenish my ink supply. Mainly, due to the smaller size of Iroshizuku now being available. Now, have a nice growing supply of inks, several empty Goulet Pen Company vials.

Question, where do you keep your inks? Nib tuning supplies? Empty Goulet Pen Company vials? So far, I have tried a plastic carriers, used for hobbiest; blue top, flaps on each side, carry handle on top. A smaller square one, clear top, rectangle flap which secures down on each end and carry handle. I don't cary my supply or inks outside, so mainly use them at home, where do you keep your inks? Where are your inks sitting right now, or when you decide to load your pens? If you have way more than one, less than a stationary store, how do you manage them in terms of space, until are ready to use?

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainpenlady

• amberleadavis

• inkstainedruth

• BetwixtTheLines

I keep my inks in Really Right Stuff bins. There are a few ink bottles that are too small for this and those are kept high on shelves out of the cats' reach (knock on wood!). I keep my Goulet samples in some old vial racks. I don't own any nib tuning stuff.

Smith Premier No. 4

I keep my inks in Really Right Stuff bins. There are a few ink bottles that are too small for this and those are kept high on shelves out of the cats' reach (knock on wood!). I keep my Goulet samples in some old vial racks. I don't own any nib tuning stuff.

Are they the student bins? I went to a site, Really Right Stuff and they have student bins and classroom bins. My tuning stuff is no big deal, emery board, a couple of items from Goulet Pen Company, mylar paper, brass little slivers, can't remember names of them all and they could fit in a sandwich ziploc bag all together. I like my fountain pens extra fine and kind of wet for the most part so I am just learning how to tinker. Thank goodness for Brian at Goulet pen and Youtube. Which bins?

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

I keep mine on my bookshelf.

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa346/SujiCorp12345/IMG_0737_zpszstqbpim.jpg

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

I wanted something that was easy to get in to and also looked fairly nice. I've picked up several collapsable cloth and palm leaf boxes from IKEA, and keep the boxes on some low (three shelf) bookcases from Pier1 that flank the small writing desk I bought a while back. I can fit two of the boxes (which are about 11" x 13" x 7") per shelf if they stick out slightly. The size is just right to hold four ink sample trays, stacked two high. I just bought two more last week, as my ink stash increases, so I can more or less sort by brand for the bottled inks, and one of the boxes contains duplicate and backup bottles. The brand name is Motorp.

I had trouble finding them last week, though, so they might be discontinued, according to someone in the store. :angry: But they are still listed on the IKEA USA website:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30116419/

I also have one larger one out in the hallway housing back volumes of my daily journals.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

All of my inks hang out in one of the shipping boxes Jetpens sent stuff in lined of bubble wrap. At the moment, it's full, so new inks are going to pose a problem.

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa346/SujiCorp12345/IMG_0737_zpszstqbpim.jpg

WoW! I mean WOW! A bibliophile and Inkophile's dream :thumbup:

All of my inks hang out in one of the shipping boxes Jetpens sent stuff in lined of bubble wrap. At the moment, it's full, so new inks are going to pose a problem.

You just gave me an idea, since I don't have anything in the container currently my inks are being kept to try to protect them from breaking whatsoever. I have a habit of keeping the boxes, bubble wrap, envelopes, etc. when items are shipped to me. I am going to take out all my ink bottle, etc. and line the container with some bubble wrap. I did not think of doing so before your mentioning, thanks, I could have had some accidents, which would have broken my heart along with ink bottles. Thanks. You will just have to buy more items from Jetpens to get a second shipping box started. :D

Edited by fountainpenlady

Apologies, trying to work a new Dell touchpad and it seems to have a hairline trigger. Here is how it looks with the Pay It Forward (PIF) Iroshizuku I just received. I can still put the cover on and click the sides securely.

laptop touchpad has a very light touch, apologies for the duplicate posts.

Having heard, (probably through this form) that exposure to sunlight is detrimental to ink over time, I keep mine safe in their original cardboard packaging inside a larger shipping box. I am sure that this is overreacting but it also takes me so long to get through a bottle of ink and the more colours I buy the less likely it is that I'll finish any of them?

No, don't think overacting at all in keeping them in their original cardboard packaging. Also, I can't remember where, but someone also said a little silicone grease on I believe the threads of the bottle will keep the top from getting stuck over time upon trying to open. I am going to add some to my next GouletPenCompany order. I have had the unpleasant experience of the top of my ink bottle being difficult to remove, if not impossible to open. I wonder whether you have to do anything to keep your inks fresh since you use them slowly?

I keep mine on my bookshelf too, and I'm always trying to think of ways to organize my ink vials (without caving in to buy an organizer...).

I am most likely not storing them the best way to keep them fresh but I only have a few bottles and a lot of vials so it's not something I am immediately worrying about just yet.

episkey, if you have more vials than bottles, have you thought about getting one of those vial racks?

I am developing quite a supply myself.

Mine are in their boxes inside photo boxes from the craft store (like this one, but in many different patterns) that are numbered and stacked up underneath my computer desk. I have a spreadsheet that tells me which ink is in which box. Sample vials and cartridges are in the same sort of boxes, too.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Potions_Cabinet/20141110_213640at.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Potions_Cabinet/20141110_210727a.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Mine are in their boxes inside photo boxes from the craft store (like this one, but in many different patterns) that are numbered and stacked up underneath my computer desk. I have a spreadsheet that tells me which ink is in which box. Sample vials and cartridges are in the same sort of boxes, too.

I like that idea. There is also a Michaels I can get to and they offer discount coupons.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Potions_Cabinet/20141113_153950a.jpg

Wow! Somewhere I saw your collection before, I drooled then and am drooling now. Glad this laptop still has its warranty alive :drool:

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Potions_Cabinet/20141110_210727a.jpg

Wow! What an impressive sample collection. If I don't watch myself, I could get one going as big.