The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pelikan M650 Review

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 danny

danny

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 17:04

user posted image
The Pelikan M650 with green striped barrel

The Pelikan M650 is a discontinued model from Pelikan's Souveran family of fountain pens. It has been out of production for a few years already but once in a while new old stock may be found on offer. Such was my good fortune when I stumbled across the green striped M650 on sale at one of the pen retailers in Singapore. I was doubly lucky to have purchased it at a very substantial discount.

First Impressions:

user posted image
From left to right: 1931 Yellow Gold LE, Tradition M100, Souveran M400, Souveran M650,Souveran M805,Souveran M1050

Being a member of the Souveran family, the M650 shares the same distinctive look which is the trademark of Pelikan's flagship range of fountain pens. As can be seen from the comparison photo above, the M650 is the midsize member of Pelikan's fountain pen range. It shares the same barrel size as the M600 pens and has the additional feature of a vermeil cap, ie gold plating over sterling silver.

Appearance and Finish:

user posted image
The vermeil cap; gold over silver (Ag925)

user posted image
The Pelikan logo on the cap

user posted image
The distinctive double band at the end of the barrel.

The M650 was originally offered in a variety of barrel designs. Mine came with the green and black stripes. The barrel itself is translucent, which allows the ink level to be seen easily when held against the light. At the end of the barrel is the piston fill knob which is decorated with the distinctive double gold band. The cap itself is vermeil finish, ie gold plating on top of sterling silver (Ag925 to be exact). The silver content is indicated by the the number 925 on the cap which means silver content of 92.5%. The clip itself bears the trademark Pelikan beak design, and the Pelikan logo has been embossed (silk screen?) on the top of the cap.

Design/Size/Weight:

user posted image

The pen has a total length of 134mm. It barrel is 103mm long while its cap has a length of 62mm. The barrel width is approximately 12mm. When posted the total length is approx 154mm. The pen weighs 22.5grams, slightly heavier than the M600 which tips the scale at approx 17.6grams. This is of course due to the heavier cap made of sterling silver. One of the hallmarks of Pelikan fountain pens is quadruple thread on the cap which allows the cap to be attached or removed with a single turn. A very convenient feature during daily use.

Nib design and performance:

user posted image
The finely engraved and beautiful two tone 18K nib.

As with other members of the Pelikan Souveran line, the M650 is designed to take on interchangeable nibs (ie the nib is interchangeable amongst the M600 range of pens). My pen came with the 18K solid gold fine nib. It is two toned and beautifully hand engraved. The nib writes very well, laying down a fine wet line with the smoothness which is typical of Pelikan nibs.

Filling System:

As can be expected the M650 is equipped with Pelikan's excellent differential piston fill system. The barrel itself acts as the ink reservoir and the pen is able to hold a substantial amount of ink.

Cost/Value:

The M650 comes with the exquisite vermeil cap, Pelikan's famous differential piston filling system, and the very fine 18K solid gold nib. At the price which I paid for this pen, it definitely represents excellent value for money.

Overall Opinion/Conclusion:

To summarise: Being a Pelikan, the M650 is a fountain pen with a distinguished pedigree, has a well proven design, quality construction and impeccable finish. That alone is a good enough reason to get the pen. The fact that the pen is now out of production makes it all the more collectible. If you are a fan of Pelikan fountain pens, then the M650 is certainly worth adding to the collection.

Sponsored Content

#2 bdngrd

bdngrd

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 21:54

Nice review- Thanks. I liked your photos as well. You have a nice collection of birds!
The Danitrio Fellowship

#3 danny

danny

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 01:20

QUOTE (bdngrd @ Mar 27 2007, 09:54 PM)
Nice review- Thanks. I liked your photos as well. You have a nice collection of birds!

Bdngrd,
I wrote this review because I just wanted to share my experience with the members of this wonderful forum. Glad you like the short write-up.

#4 bossy

bossy

Jesus is Lord

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 March 2007 - 01:47

That's a great review. Nice images too. I'd like to get one.
Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right
to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers,
and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.
Revelation 22:14-15

#5 Rique

Rique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:04

Nice review and photos! You have a fantastic collection of birds, by the way!
one question about the second pen from the left: is it really a Tradition 100? I thought there were only the 150 and the 200 in this line. Is there a 100 too??

regards,
Rique

#6 danny

danny

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 03:50

QUOTE (Rique @ Mar 28 2007, 02:04 AM)
Nice review and photos! You have a fantastic collection of birds, by the way!
one question about the second pen from the left: is it really a Tradition 100? I thought there were only the 150 and the 200 in this line. Is there a 100 too??

regards,
Rique

Good question Rique. Now you've got me wondering. It's one of the M100 pens. I was under the impression that it's the Tradition M100 when I bought the pen but I may be mistaken.

Maybe other members of the forum can shed some light on this matter.

#7 cmeisenzahl

cmeisenzahl

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 13:01

Fantastic review, thanks!

Sponsored Content

|