• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lallin

• boybacon

• BamaPen

• grahamtillotson

I'm doing my first ever "fountain" pen repair on an inkograph, I hope it goes well!

If anybody wants to buy a FPR triveni, a waterman's crusader with a modified barrel, or faber castell pitt brush pens I have one just for you!

jar, on 09 Feb 2015 - 19:42, said:jar, on 09 Feb 2015 - 19:42, said:jar, on 09 Feb 2015 - 19:42, said:

The pen on the far right in this picture is an Inkograph conventional nib fountain pen. Many folk don't realize they also made conventional pens.

Yes, it's a late 40s, early 50s semi-hooded nib Inkograph. Prior to that, Inkograph Co. made nib'ed pens only under the Wallace and Ink-D-Cator brands.

Sadly, there are Inkograph Franken-pens occasionally offered on eBay that have had their stylo-works replaced with sections and nibs. I fear that unsuspecting buyers may think the modified pens are original.

In the late 40s, early 50s Inkograph experimented with ways to rescue the business. In addition to the semi-hooded nibs there were also ballpoints that used the same pen barrel and cap as the stylo and semi-hooded pens. I even have a few ballpoints with levers.

fpn_1423581143__inkograph_-_the_final_ye

The extra long one is not a pen; it is a promotional magnet made for a steel company using a pen with a different section.

fpn_1423580978__inkograph_-_non-pen_-_pr

Edited by lallin

Way to go, Larry, on putting together that very nice specialized collection, especially the ephemera and the displays.

George Kovalenko.

:ninja:

rhrpen(at)gmail.com

rhr, on 17 Feb 2015 - 20:29, said:

Way to go, Larry, on putting together that very nice specialized collection, especially the ephemera and the displays.

George Kovalenko.

:ninja:

Thanks. I think I enjoy the ephemera, displays and history research as much (maybe more) than the actual pens. 8-) I'm working on how to display all the material I have collected; some will be framed and hung, other bits, being small or double-sided don't lend themselves to framing. I do have a very nice poster in French that will soon be framed and hang next to the original artwork used to illustrate a Pen World (V1N5) article.

• 5 months later...

Lallin,

Would you mind posting a photo of the aluminum capped pen nibs (the pen with the cap off)? I have an Inkography barrel and a cap in beautiful condition, but I'm pretty sure that the nib section is NOT original (frankenpenned). I wouldn't mind finding a "junker" pen with a good nib section, but I'm not quite sure what nib section I'm looking for.

The other Inkograph in my collection is a "banana" shaped pen from the 30's that belonged to my grandfather (he was killed in WWII, so the pen is special to the family). That one has the stylograph/inkograph nib section, but I'll never part it out :-)

--EB

Yes, it's a late 40s, early 50s semi-hooded nib Inkograph. Prior to that, Inkograph Co. made nib'ed pens only under the Wallace and Ink-D-Cator brands.

Sadly, there are Inkograph Franken-pens occasionally offered on eBay that have had their stylo-works replaced with sections and nibs. I fear that unsuspecting buyers may think the modified pens are original.

In the late 40s, early 50s Inkograph experimented with ways to rescue the business. In addition to the semi-hooded nibs there were also ballpoints that used the same pen barrel and cap as the stylo and semi-hooded pens. I even have a few ballpoints with levers.

The extra long one is not a pen; it is a promotional magnet made for a steel company using a pen with a different section.

As requested, the attached image is of a late Inkograph branded, pen with nib, rather than stylo. An earlier version, with a non-metallic cap, had a similar section but the nib was "hooded" - with about half as much nib visible as in the attached image. I say branded because Inkograph Co. manufactured, until sometime in 1947, a line of pens with nibs that was branded Ink-D-Cator.

During this period, the very-late-40s, early-50s, this cap and barrel design were fitted with stylographic, nibbed or ballpoint writing tips. I even have one that has a magnet in place of the writing point and was a promotional item for Edgecomb Steel Co.

I hope this information is helpful.

http://i59.tinypic.com/30jph8k.jpg

Thank you. That nib section looks almost exactly like what I have on mine. What is stamped on your nib? My nib section fits loose, which is why I thought it wasn't original. And the "clear" portion of the nib section is far more clear on mine. The line between the "clear" portion and the rest of the nib section looks to be the same, and the profile matches nicely. I think that I'll resac my nib section, and maybe shellac it in place and have a nice "user". It's definitely a smooth writer.

Most of the lettering on the nib is inside the section; only a couple of letters of each of three lines are visible:

Me

Ma

U

Presumably the 2nd and 3rd lines indicate Made in USA.

None of my examples have a "clear" portion; they are entirely black plastic.

By "clear", I mean the translucent portion near the line in the nib section. I'll attach a photo. I guess "clear" isn't very accurate.

post-120708-0-67821500-1437847554_thumb.jpg

post-120708-0-95001100-1437847557_thumb.jpg

post-120708-0-58603700-1437847559_thumb.jpg

post-120708-0-79098700-1437847560_thumb.jpg

The photos confirm what I suspected you meant by clear; the transparent portion is so you can view the ink level when it is getting low. Mine do not have that feature, though many other variants in my collection do.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a burgundy Inkograph hooded nib pen that resembles yours. It looks to me like the barrel, section, and nib are the same, but mine has a matching plastic cap. Both the clip and barrel imprint say Inkograph. I notice that my section does not have the clear ink view part, just plain black.

Mine is in very good condition and I have put a new ink sac in it and it writes nicely. I could be persuaded to part with it if it would add to someone's Inkograph collection.

fpn_1439341184__inkograph_hooded_nib_bur

The Moonwalk Pen - honoring Apollo lunar landings
4-x-2-advertisement-copy-reduced-size.jp

• 4 years later...

Came across this thread after picking up what I'm pretty sure is a Frankenpen version off of eBay. Curious part is that if so the mod must have been done a really long time ago. The shellac is old and brittle (and they used shellac to begin with), and the sac was close to breaking down. Also didn't see any file marks on the section to fit it into the barrel -- seems to be an identical size match for the standard Inkograph section. Can't believe this material was used though, the swirly type of plastic used on Noodler Ahab pens.

Graham

fpn_1585767374__img-0621.jpg

IMG-0620.jpg

Edited by grahamtillotson