The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

I Bought My First Flex Nib, But The Feed Is Extremely Inconsistent. Solutions?

flex nib

9 replies to this topic

#1 Cosmo_D

Cosmo_D

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 February 2015 - 22:39

So I bought a random NOS German button-filler fountain pen with a new sac from a seller on eBay. The nib is certainly flexible, but some of the time it railroads immediately. Occasionally it will write fairly consistently and I can produce multiple flexed lines. Other times it will skip and hard start just in normal use. The tines look like they are little far apart. I tried moving them closer together, but to no avail.  The pen is pretty old, but I have no idea if it has an ebonite or plastic feed. When the pen feels like writing it is quite wet.

Are there any solutions I can try at home with minimal chance of destroying the pen? I would rather not take it apart. I hope this is the right forum for this question.

Edited by Cosmo_D, 09 February 2015 - 22:40.

Sponsored Content

#2 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,342 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 23:09

What inks are you using?

Could be you are flexing your nib too much.

Please look up Mauricio in advanced search, he has a com, for flexible nibs.

http://www.vintagepe...-flex-nibs.html

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 09 February 2015 - 23:12.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#3 Cosmo_D

Cosmo_D

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 February 2015 - 23:27

What inks are you using?

Could be you are flexing your nib too much.

Please look up Mauricio in advanced search, he has a com, for flexible nibs.

http://www.vintagepe...-flex-nibs.html

I am using Sailor Oku-Yama, which is a pretty free flowing ink. The pen skips and hard starts with no flexing however. The pen is unusable as just a normal pen in its current state. I also tried adjusting my writing angle as per the site. It didn't seem to do anything.

Edited by Cosmo_D, 09 February 2015 - 23:49.

#4 mike.jane

mike.jane

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 February 2015 - 23:49

Are you storing your pen nib-down? If not, try that so that the feed may always be fully saturated with ink. I found this simple adjustment in behavior helped my FPR Triveni JR flex a good deal.

Even though you are an admirer of the ink, you could try another ink and see if that makes a difference. I'd start with a well-know, good quality 'baseline' ink like Pelikan, but whatever have you would be fine.

I wonder if trying to heat set your pen will be detrimental if the feed is plastic and not ebonite. It might not matter -read either it works, or nothing happens- but I'm not at all clear on this. So don't take my word on this please.

#5 Cosmo_D

Cosmo_D

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 February 2015 - 00:28

The heat setting may have slightly improved it or done nothing. I can't really tell. It hasn't made it worse I can say that much. I will try it with Diamine Oxblood, as it is the wettest ink I own. When the pen does deign to write it is quite wet. I may have to contact the seller.

#6 Cosmo_D

Cosmo_D

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 February 2015 - 00:55

I tried it with Diamine Oxblood. It is still inconsistent and skippy. It will write almost most of the time if I hold the pen at a 90 degree angle. It will also write upside down. Is the problem baby's bottom? I examined it under a loupe and the nib didn't appear terribly deformed. I however have never actually seen a nib in real life with baby's bottom, so I could very well be mistaken. 

Edited by Cosmo_D, 10 February 2015 - 04:23.

#7 Cosmo_D

Cosmo_D

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:24

I tried flushing the pen. It now skips only on downstrokes.

#8 Ste_S

Ste_S

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:34

I was initially going to suggest you've got a sprung nib.

However, If a flush makes things better, I'd start doing multiple flushes with a drop of washing up liquid and a sprinkle of ammonia added to the water. Flush with clean water after.

Sounds like there's some dried up ink crud in there restricting flow. Might be worth having a look at the state of the sac too.

#9 Cosmo_D

Cosmo_D

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2015 - 00:21

I was initially going to suggest you've got a sprung nib.

However, If a flush makes things better, I'd start doing multiple flushes with a drop of washing up liquid and a sprinkle of ammonia added to the water. Flush with clean water after.

Sounds like there's some dried up ink crud in there restricting flow. Might be worth having a look at the state of the sac too.

The pen is NOS and was never inked prior to me receiving it. It also had a new sac installed. I have sent it back to seller who is attempting to repair it. If he can't get it working he has graciously offered to replace the nib. 

#10 Berelleza

Berelleza

Master of Zero

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2015 - 00:26

Are you storing your pen nib-down? If not, try that so that the feed may always be fully saturated with ink. I found this simple adjustment in behavior helped my FPR Triveni JR flex a good deal.

Even though you are an admirer of the ink, you could try another ink and see if that makes a difference. I'd start with a well-know, good quality 'baseline' ink like Pelikan, but whatever have you would be fine.

I wonder if trying to heat set your pen will be detrimental if the feed is plastic and not ebonite. It might not matter -read either it works, or nothing happens- but I'm not at all clear on this. So don't take my word on this please.

Could you post a Triveni Jr sample writing?

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: flex nib

Sponsored Content

|