My First 4810

sannidh

Hello All,

Since it was quite difficult to resist a MB for long :puddle: , I got a pre-owned 146 for myself before buying a brand new one (which is intended for a gift :closedeyes:). I had reviewed it here.

Paid USD 319 for the pen and it turned out to a good piece with a few visible scratches (of use) in the grip section. The pen has a fine nib and it's performance is superlative with a wet ink flow. I am happily using pelikan 4001 black ink with the pen.

Still wondering on two questions:

1) On how to go about polishing the pen ? (might sound a bit crazy :doh: ) Do I get it serviced from an MB boutique?

2) How do I know the year of manufacture?

Grip Section:

http://s25.postimg.org/3ly2j18a7/DSC_1819_1.jpg

Complete Pen

http://s25.postimg.org/zc1sw7nlb/DSC_1819.jpg

Best,

Sonik

You have come to earth to entertain and to be entertained - P.Y

Some Pen & Paraphernalia Reviews

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sannidh

• Pravda

• FredRydr

• isaacrn

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations on a fine writing instrument :) Title was misleading, 4810 usually refers to Patron of the Arts POA limited edition series Montblancs.

MB would polish it for you but would charge you handsomely. Alternatively, you can go over to the repair section and see what other members have used to polish their resin pens successfully based on what is available in your country.

If it is nothing to loose sleep over, postpone polishing altogether until scratches get more pronounced with use and do it then.

... 4810 usually refers to Patron of the Arts POA limited edition series Montblancs.

"4810" is not a reference to any limited edition series. "4810" appears on most Montblanc fountain pen nibs, and refers to the height of the mountain in France, Mont Blanc: 4810 metres. It may seem silly, but there you are.

Fred

"4810" is not a reference to any limited edition series. "4810" appears on most Montblanc fountain pen nibs, and refers to the height of the mountain in France, Mont Blanc: 4810 metres. It may seem silly, but there you are.

Fred

Spot on!!

In order to appreciate the sweet, you must truly taste the bitter....

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Congratulations on a fine writing instrument :) Title was misleading, 4810 usually refers to Patron of the Arts POA limited edition series Montblancs.

MB would polish it for you but would charge you handsomely. Alternatively, you can go over to the repair section and see what other members have used to polish their resin pens successfully based on what is available in your country.

If it is nothing to loose sleep over, postpone polishing altogether until scratches get more pronounced with use and do it then.

Thank you, I will check that out.

The scratches are pretty light, so I do not want to over-do it.

Fred

Fred & isaacrn -

:thumbup: 4810 - was just a reference to the nib rather the 146 itself, since it's my first MB nib :) too.

Best,

Sonik

Edited by soniknitr

Every MB enthusiast knows what 4810 signifies. Thanks for pointing out the obvious :) But maybe it's just me I got accustomed to thinking in terms of series when I hear 4810, 888, 333 etc.

Congratulations on a great purchase ;-)

I know there is a guy on this forum who sells a Montblanc polish but I've never used it before. I've heard good reports though!

For me, I use a product called "Renaissance wax" which is a synthetic wax used by the British Museum and many other places to preserve historical artifacts. I found polishing my MBs (and other pens) with it reduced and mostly eliminated the light scratches and brought it up to a good shine. The scratches do come back with constant use however especially the ones around the ink window area where the cap rubs against the barrel. Bear in mind the wax does alter the feel of the pen in your hand slightly and you may not like that.

There are also several nibmeisters who will polish pens fairly reasonably...say $50 or less, but sometimes the wait can be weeks or even months. However, I recently used the services of a member here, Art's Nibs. I had him adjust some nibs for me, grind one into a stub, but more on topic, he polished my Bordeaux 146 for me. He did a great job. All of the minor scratches came out. The only things that remained was one I knew was too deep for a simple polish to remove. However, it looks much smaller now.

Look him up here, or his website is, I think, artsnibs dot com. I'm not at home, so I don't have the link handy. Google should do it. His charge was VERY reasonable and I had 4 pens back, including the custom ground stub, in just over 7 days. Great service and a great guy.

I enjoy MB 146 pens, Sailor, Pilot and Platinum pens as well. I have a strong attraction to dark red and muted green ink, colors I dislike for everything but FP ink. I also enjoy practicing my handwriting and attempting to improve it. I love the feel of quality paper under a gold nib.

Congratulations on a great purchase ;-)

I know there is a guy on this forum who sells a Montblanc polish but I've never used it before. I've heard good reports though!

For me, I use a product called "Renaissance wax" which is a synthetic wax used by the British Museum and many other places to preserve historical artifacts. I found polishing my MBs (and other pens) with it reduced and mostly eliminated the light scratches and brought it up to a good shine. The scratches do come back with constant use however especially the ones around the ink window area where the cap rubs against the barrel. Bear in mind the wax does alter the feel of the pen in your hand slightly and you may not like that.

Thank you. My regards for sharing both advantages & limitations of the "Renaissance wax" polish. Actually from what I heard from other fp collectors, it holds true for carnauba wax and other creams too from the perspective of feel of the pen. Some vintage fountain pen restorers here in India, use a generic polish (metal, wood everything) called min cream on resin/metal pens (again a 1930s GB product) . It's quite cheap (< 1 USD) for 100 g bottle, but it too changes the feel of objects. I used it on my table clock :) and yes it did remove the scratches and made it shine, but on a fp, I will never use it.

Best,

Sonik

There are also several nibmeisters who will polish pens fairly reasonably...say $50 or less, but sometimes the wait can be weeks or even months. However, I recently used the services of a member here, Art's Nibs. I had him adjust some nibs for me, grind one into a stub, but more on topic, he polished my Bordeaux 146 for me. He did a great job. All of the minor scratches came out. The only things that remained was one I knew was too deep for a simple polish to remove. However, it looks much smaller now.

Look him up here, or his website is, I think, artsnibs dot com. I'm not at home, so I don't have the link handy. Google should do it. His charge was VERY reasonable and I had 4 pens back, including the custom ground stub, in just over 7 days. Great service and a great guy.

Sure, thanks Jeff. I checked the link. I am actually a bit reluctant to send the pen outside India.

I also checked with MB store people here, let's see how much they quote. (they have to check the pen first !)

Best,

Sonik