The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Usa Today Article About The New Esterbrook Pens

esterbrook usa today

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Tasmith

Tasmith

Uff Da!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2015 - 14:46

Article about the new Esterbrrok pens in today's USA Today:

http://www.usatoday....story/22941265/

Sponsored Content

#2 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,622 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 17:11

Sadly, that very huge step down....ruins it.

All bling, no use.

Pretty pens though.

What can one expect from a ball point barbarian.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#3 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,483 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2015 - 18:28

Wonder what USA Today would think of the discussions that have been going on about the pens (and Mr. Rosenberg) on another thread....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#4 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2015 - 20:04

Two hundred million fountain pens per year.  Boy, they were busy !    :lticaptd:   

I would guess that Bryan Williams ran that ad, just before his helicopter was shot down.  

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

#5 Randal6393

Randal6393

Love italic handwriting.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2015 - 20:23

So if Mr. Rosenberg is as successful with Esterbrook as he was with Conklin, I might give his pens a try. Have a modern Conklin, the nib is great. And the c/c mechanism -- well, that always works out well for me. Reminds me of the Bexley pens I have, in many ways. Didn't like the modern Conklin Crescent, though. Mechanism was flimsy and didn't work well for me. Still have the nib, mounted in a Konrad. Love those # 6 italics.

Never liked the vintage Esterbrooks. Just didn't work out for me -- tried two, supposedly restored. Couldn't get nib units that I liked, the pen bodies leaked. But, a modern interpretation? Would be willing to try one out.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

#6 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,622 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 21:06

Can't see an Estie leaking unless you got a cracked section, twice.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#7 thatotherguy1

thatotherguy1

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 02:24

Sadly, that very huge step down....ruins it.

All bling, no use.

Pretty pens though.

What can one expect from a ball point barbarian.

That's pretty much how I felt too. I was hoping that Esterbrook would do something along the lines of the new Conklin (same reviver as Esterbrook might I add), meaning make replicas of their old flagship pens as well as modern pens that seem like they would have been made by the original company. In other words, just as Conklin revived the crescent filler, I was hoping that the new Esterbrook would remake its lever fill pens of the mid 20th century. The Dollar Pen, J, double jewel, etc. It would have been even better if they either used cellulose acetate celluloid (or acrylic) that mimicked the beautiful celluloids of the original Esterbrooks (nobody makes that gorgeous mottled luminescent green the same way to my knowledge) without as much of the fire hazard of the old cellulose nitrate. That's not to say that the new acrylics aren't pretty, I just think that a modern rendition of the lost celluloids would be great.

The design doesn't do anything for me. That step down kills any attraction I had to the pens to be honest. I would rather have a light pen with a non flush cap that I can comfortably write with for hours than a flush cigar shaped pen that looks good capped but isn't comfortable for long sessions. 

All IMHO and YMMV, as always.

Here to help when I know, learn when I don't, and pass on the information to anyone I can :)

#8 bulbboy

bulbboy

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2015 - 02:57

Did he not consult true fountain pen lovers to see what we want?

#9 spaceink

spaceink

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 03:01

Most people over in the Esties sub-forum find these Zombie Esterbrooks repulsive. See the thread below, which also discusses that recent article:

http://www.fountainp...-this-december/

Edited by spaceink, 07 February 2015 - 03:07.

#10 ScienceChick

ScienceChick

Talk Nerdy To Me

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 2,370 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2015 - 03:09

Did he not consult true fountain pen lovers to see what we want?

Nope.  Check out the thread on the Estie forum

photo 9a3c4b09-5684-4070-874c-d3e7313947e7.pngLife is too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

#11 pengoddess

pengoddess

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 05:17

This reads more like a press release than an article to me.  Don't let that 200 million figure fool you.  It refers to dip pen nibs which were called "pens" back in the day.  Those dip pen nibs are what originally put Esterbrook on the radar.  Fountain pens were added later.  

Regardless, it is always good to see an article about fountain pens in a major publication, even if it is USA Today - LOL.

Sam

Pendemonium
email: sam@pendemonium.com
Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

#12 Tasmith

Tasmith

Uff Da!

• Member - Gold

• 1,682 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2015 - 15:20

Regardless, it is always good to see an article about fountain pens in a major publication, even if it is USA Today - LOL.

Think of all the travellers reading the article in their hotel rooms.

Edited by Tasmith, 07 February 2015 - 15:21.

#13 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 February 2015 - 06:03

the nib looks good but the body... EEEE.... let's not talk about it

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: esterbrook, usa today

Sponsored Content

|