Pocket Yard O' Led And Bulbing It

rrrgcy

Just a quick comment - Recently received a new Yard O' Led Viceroy Barley Pocket in Fine, very little written on these (couple reviews).So I had to ditch the lil' cartridge by chopping it and bulbing it. It can be done - this was my first attempt to do so. The vendor supplied me with Pelikan mini's and I sourced various close-sized sacs w the shellac from one of the two or so vendors of that stuff. Sacs are sized by 64th" by the way. Id have to check the receipt/order but I think I ordered everything from 16-19/64th and the mini cartridge was 17/64" diameter. I may do so with other pocket's, too ! I haven't measured the capacity however by my real-world quantification it ought to work out to about the mini-cartridge''s fill and it worked for a good three+ office days of incidental and note taking writing.

The nib is different in feel than any other i've used (new or vintage of Parkers, Montblanc, Sheaffer, Bexley, Moore, etc) - having a sort of light texture feel to it when put on various paper. It is smooth but not a tooth more of a 'texture.' Can't really explain the feedback. Not a negative just a little different. It's a useful bugger w a touch of class, light enough to carry stowed into your shirt crossed/above your 2nd chest button from the collar down. I never place FP's in my shirt pocket (vertical) but always near horizontal into my chest, like as in behind the necktie.

I learned from the dealer the distributor in the USA has changed in the past year (I think I was told they're in TX) and as a result there is little in stock in the USA since they don't wish to keep stock on-hand. If the dealer doesn't have it in stock already, its become inventory ordered from overseas when an order is placed. I received what was from the distributor the only one unspoken-for of only four of these Pocket's in this version in Fine (you see some Med advertised in the net and on dealer sites). I ordered from a storied midwest pen brick-mortar dealer and also ordered a Deco pencil which is on delay until mid-Feb (ordered it over a month+ ago).

http://i57.tinypic.com/nb6on9.jpg

Edited by rrrgcy

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• como

• rrrgcy

• jar

• da vinci

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I learned from the dealer the distributor in the USA has changed in the past year (I think I was told they're in TX) and as a result there is little in stock in the USA since they don't wish to keep stock on-hand.

Tell me more. I was under the impression Filofax still owned YoL and was the distributor.

I didn't receive a name of the distributor or elaboration further, but it seems Filofax is HQ'd in TX so they must be the group!

They've owned Yard-0-Led for several tears and so far I've found them very helpful.

• 1 month later...

Nice mod - thanks for sharing.

"Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch" Orson Welles

• 4 years later...

rrrgcy: Just came across this post. Brilliant idea. May try it on small cartridge. I imagine that it would be easier than filling it with syringe. Thanks for sharing.

So how did you seal the bulb/sac to the cartridge? Shellac?

Did you retain a lot of the cartridge or just the bare minimum?

How is it working out?

Sorry for all the Qs. A very interesting idea!

That’s the idea: measure, cut, shellac. I have a Delta Dolcevita Mini that takes small cartridges. I will probably try to put a sac on the cartridge. Usually I just have one or two empty cartridges, to be filled with syringe. If I get to it, I will post a photo. Hope it works.

So how did you seal the bulb/sac to the cartridge? Shellac?

Did you retain a lot of the cartridge or just the bare minimum?

How is it working out?

Sorry for all the Qs. A very interesting idea!

Thats the idea: measure, cut, shellac. I have a Delta Dolcevita Mini that takes small cartridges. I will probably try to put a sac on the cartridge. Usually I just have one or two empty cartridges, to be filled with syringe. If I get to it, I will post a photo. Hope it works.

Me too, thanks :) although the kaweco idea sounds less messy :D

There was a time a couple of years ago when a goldish-copper coloured squeeze converter the size of an international cartridge was available. Got it through UK pen kit supplier 'fun-e-turnz' on E-Bay. It was like a smaller version of the old Parker squeezy cartridge converter. Unfortunately I cannot find one at the moment. I do feel it's a little safer to have the bladder enclosed.

Edited to add:

Found one at Indy-Pen-Dance: https://www.indy-pen-dance.com/Squeeze-Ink-Converter-Short.html

They also do mini piston converters too: https://www.indy-pen-dance.com/Converters/

Regards,

Richard

Hi

Filofax sold YOL four years ago and is now a stand alone company renamed Imperial Yard-O-Led.

I have no idea about there distribution network but understand it's all done from there now.

So I decided to go with small cartridge+sac option for my Delta Dolcevita Mini. Local shop doesn't carry Lilliput mini converter and I thought it would be fun to have a modern pen which I can squeeze the sac directly, which should make cleaning easier. For the Y-O-L Grand in barley pattern, thanks to other FPN members' suggestions from another thread, I put a Caran d'Ache converter and it works. Very happy with the converter solutions :)

post-145678-0-41661500-1556782103_thumb.jpg

post-145678-0-41055700-1556782124_thumb.jpg