19Th Century Handwriting & Penmanship

GClef

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/Tutuguans/HenrySweadnerpropertysale.jpg

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/Tutuguans/PETERSUMANWARRANTOFEXECUTION.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GClef

• D B Holtz

• BookCat

• kestrel

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/Tutuguans/SpencerianPensmanshipFinal_jpg_CROP_article920-large.jpg

Thank you for posting these. I really like the C in the second document--I will give that a try and see how well I can do it.

In the first, I'm wondering what an "undivided half of (a) washing machine" would be? Hmmm...

DB

In the first, I'm wondering what an "undivided half of (a) washing machine" would be? Hmmm...

I couldn't even read the second one. All I know, from the picture title, it's that is a "Warrant of execution", or something.

I couldn't even read the second one. All I know, from the picture title, it's that is a "Warrant of execution", or something.

It is a writ of execution for three men convicted of treason in Frederick County, Maryland in 1781. Included is a detailed and suitably gruesome description of the method of execution in explicit detail which I will not transcribe here. Suffice it to say it is not terribly different from what was done in England in that period.

Thanks for the wonderful resources on handwriting and the samples. I will try to find out about that washing machine.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I will try to find out about that washing machine.

It would've been neat if "pen and a bottle of ink" was on that list, and see what it would've been valued at.

i enjoyed reading these (and found some easier to read than some versions of the now-popular italic scripts.) Thank you for posting them and also for posting the included links.

A while back, I posted some photos of an old notebook from the mid-1800's that has come down in my family. They even wrote a table of contents page. https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/235173-the-history-of-composition-notebook/

I have spent the past 44 years researching land title documents (which necessarily entails also going into probate and other court records, as well as simply deed records) all over Texas. I can always tell when a county could afford to hire a deputy clerk with some business college training by the quality of the writing.

These posts are very interesting to me. Thanks!

Thank you for posting these. I really like the C in the second document--I will give that a try and see how well I can do it.

DB

I can more or less read this horrid document. If you point out which line the 'washing machine' is in (pun unintended) I'll try to translate.

It's the next to last (hey, here's a chance to use the word "penultimate") line of the first document, the first listing of the actual inventory. I can read it, and I even live in an adjoining county, but I'm not sure of what they are describing.

DB

It's the next to last (hey, here's a chance to use the word "penultimate") line of the first document, the first listing of the actual inventory. I can read it, and I even live in an adjoining county, but I'm not sure of what they are describing.

DB

Sorry, I thought you meant the hang (!) drawing and quartering document. I think the one you're refering to says "undivided half of washing machine" maybe meaning a whole washing machine, rather than 'not a quarter'. The items mentioned near to it are all things used in a 19th century 'utility room', so makes sense.... :wacko:

• 7 months later...