Onoto, The Way Forward?

Matlock

Sob! I had my heart set on a blue Onoto Magna Classic. They fleetingly, and tantalisingly, appeared on the Bespoke British Pens website, and have completely vanished from the Onoto site, so I guess I am thwarted.

The remaining Onoto pens on BBP start at around double my budget, so "I think David and Alistair were probably pushing for a mid market, more mainstream profile" might be a tad wide of the mark. Either that or I'm more of a pauper than I thought!

Cheers,

David.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alc3261

• kazoolaw

• billf

• Matlock

Sob! I had my heart set on a blue Onoto Magna Classic. They fleetingly, and tantalisingly, appeared on the Bespoke British Pens website, and have completely vanished from the Onoto site, so I guess I am thwarted.

The remaining Onoto pens on BBP start at around double my budget, so "I think David and Alistair were probably pushing for a mid market, more mainstream profile" might be a tad wide of the mark. Either that or I'm more of a pauper than I thought!

Cheers,

David.

Try Andy's Pens. I believe they have the Blue Classic in stock.

Peter

Try Andy's Pens. I believe they have the Blue Classic in stock.

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, I had the future in mind — my 60th b'day in 2 years. I had 'phoned Onoto a few weeks ago to ask how far through their production of 999 pens they were. I was told that, after 2 years of making them, they were into the two hundreds, so my sexagenarian ambition looked to be realistic.

I've got plenty of time to think of an alternative. I might just ask for a BiC biro instead — it should still be available.

I've got plenty of time to think of an alternative.

Why don't you consider gifting yourself with the original Onoto? Much better looking, quiet quality, and none of the drama.

gary

Cheers,

David.

Andy of Andy's Pens has one left.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

My Pen Wraps are for sale in my Etsy shop

Why don't you consider gifting yourself with the original Onoto? Much better looking, quiet quality, and none of the drama.

gary

Thanks, Gary,

Which original Onoto were you thinking of? Where would I look for one? Also, I'd be somewhat nervous about the skills needed to maintain a vintage pen. I'm OK with flushing out my modern pens with a bladder syringe fitted with a piece of rubber pipe whenever I change ink colour, but a classic oldy might not tolerate such lack of subtlety.

Cheers, David.

I think it might possibly be better to stop speculating and working ourselves into a panic, it really doesn't help. I am sure that in a month or so, things will settle down and we'll know more of what is going to happen.

[Now who's got a chased havanna Magna Classic in stock before they all go...?]

Regards,

Richard

I own 6 Onotos. Great pens. Had my eye on the Jade but website now looking as fractured as CS's was before they went belly-up. I think Onoto's gone that way. Anyone know anything?

Thanks, Gary,

Which original Onoto were you thinking of? Where would I look for one? Also, I'd be somewhat nervous about the skills needed to maintain a vintage pen. I'm OK with flushing out my modern pens with a bladder syringe fitted with a piece of rubber pipe whenever I change ink colour, but a classic oldy might not tolerate such lack of subtlety.

Cheers, David.

Well this week I have rebuilt three Onotos all of which are about 100 years old, and two more from the 1930s. They all work and they don't leak... One or two of them are not quite "there" yet but that's my fault, not that of the pens. With spares readily available, usually wonderful nibs, and people around who can fix them, you have nothing to worry about! And unless you want something very special or fancy they can be found for reasonable money.

In the immortal words of Blue Peter, here's one I did earlier:

fpn_1423263853__3000_paint_brush.jpg

Cob

Edited by Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

Which original Onoto were you thinking of?

Cheers, David.

I've always been partial to the original Magna, but I stumbled on one long, long ago.

Write Time we site has a selection of Onotos, and is a pleasure to deal with. There are other UK sites if you google vintage Onoto. Ebay is a good place to window shop, as the inventory changes, and you can see overlays on occasion too.

Cob's pens are an even earlier generation, special in their own way.

Enjoy the hunt.

gary

PS-don't let the Onoto ink bottle make you think I know more than anyone else. The photo is of a bottle I bought and the only photo I could figure out how to post.

I think it might possibly be better to stop speculating and working ourselves into a panic, it really doesn't help. I am sure that in a month or so, things will settle down and we'll know more of what is going to happen.

[Now who's got a chased havanna Magna Classic in stock before they all go...?]

Regards,

Richard

No breather holes. Bet the feeds are plastic.

Game over.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

No one I'm afraid and no Jade either!!

Actually, Vanness Pen Shop lists the "Onoto Magna Classic Jade with Silver & Chasing" for $595. Now, whether they actually have it in stock or that is just a catalog entry from before Onoto (presumably) went hoofies-up, I do not know.

Actually, Vanness Pen Shop lists the "Onoto Magna Classic Jade with Silver & Chasing" for $595. Now, whether they actually have it in stock or that is just a catalog entry from before Onoto (presumably) went hoofies-up, I do not know.

I'm in the UK.

I'm in the UK.

I had noted that, but I've found that UK vendors are very good in dealing with those of us in the colonies and would hope that colonial sellers would behave in like fashion toward those from the UK.

I had noted that, but I've found that UK vendors are very good in dealing with those of us in the colonies and would hope that colonial sellers would behave in like fashion toward those from the UK.

Generally not, shipping charges are usually astronomical and then there's Customs charges to consider......

Generally not, shipping charges are usually astronomical and then there's Customs charges to consider......

Hear hear, I'm afraid

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

We , as fountain pen lovers and those people who had all the confidence in Onoto , as the brand with high quality and great service , with lifetime guarantee, bla bla bla

I just feel like (bleep), sorry guys to say this.

It makes me think about stopping having interest in FPs after all

I think from now on , I will stick to My sailors , nakaya and Namiki

Shame on ....

I received today a Magna Classic Jade which I ordered from Onoto before they went silent. In fact, the shipment notice came from David Cooper just before the note that started this topic. I have no other Onoto pens so no basis for comparison, but this pen performed beautifully. It is pleasing to look at and, loaded with Diamine Eclipse, is one of the smoothest instruments I've used. If this is characteristic of the Onoto product, I certainly hope that the brand will re-emerge, retaining its quality.

Rats! Was saving for a Cambridge Alumni pen and they're down to the sterling silver and Vermeil. I was looking at the black version (265 or so pounds has a nicer ring to it than 1100+ pounds for the other versions!) about two weeks ago and failed to pull the trigger then... Oh well. I think I'd rather have a vintage example anyway - I find that my modern Watermans, Montblancs, and Pelikans get next to no use while the vintage Parkers, Conway Stewarts, and Sheaffers in my collection get a great deal of use. No idea why?

Edited by Huxley