Is It Sick To Love An Ink?

sidthecat

Used to hide behind a utlitarian approach. Having been a Librarian, School teacher in my former breaths, realizing many failed to value my passions; neither exquisite fountain pens or red ink, best to carry diversions, gel pen, some easily discarded disposable only lasting moments. Lest, I have to tell someone no, when asked, "can I see your pen?" Now, retired from society, reveling in my current position. All day long, enticing my fountain pens, inks, journal to all come out and play. :wub:

Edited by fountainpenlady

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• fountainpenlady

• Tessy Moon

• sidthecat

SeeksAdvice: I cannot argue with anything you said, your points are 100% valid and I agree with them entirely.

The only thing I can say is that most of the folks here are in it for the fun of it, the excitement, and joy of using an ink of which you enjoy the properties.

You want to share your enthusiasm with other like-minded folks, talk about what you enjoy about a particular ink, I guess using a term to describe your feeling as "love" could be a bit inaccurate, but maybe in this context, accuracy is a bit overrated.

Finding a cheaper more practical option is always nice. But I don't come here necessarily for that. If all we talked about in these discussions is practicality, then it would suck the joy right out of it.

I want to hear what people are passionate about instead. I hope you can see that.

Edited by pepsiplease69

After all, if we were practical, would we reallly be spending so much money, time and interest for what rest of the world views as writing tools to simply get the job done? :(

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

fountainpenlady: Switching gears a bit, I know you're into red inks. I am quite careful about red color personally, maybe because I'm a guy, I don't want to be caught by the police while scribbling with pinkish color.

So far I've steered very carefully into the more conservative reds, Sheaffer Skrip Red is my all-time dependable, straight, no-nonsense red color with no particular leanings. Red Dragon from Diamine is another bold red color which I like a lot.

The red that I'm totally crazy for is J. Herbin Rouge Hematite. I have both the old (sheen) formula and new (sparkly) formula and I "love" them both.

The one red which was a total disappointment for me was Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Red. It's (okay police, lock me away) very much NOT a red but rather in the pink zone. And I have a full bottle of the stuff which I don't know what to do with. Maybe for ink mixing I'll take it out and experiment.

The other red that probably sits pretty close to Skrip Red in the no-nonsense-red department is my De Atramentis Strawberry (mm yumm.. I could smell that ink all day and not get bored)...

I admit it.. I'm a floozie..

Pepsiplease69,

I have not tried the J. Herbin line and I will put it on my list for red sampling. Shaeffer Skrip, believe I tried that color early in my love for reds. I think it was not quite right. I tend to lean towards the blueish reds myself. The ones which scream red without apologies or pretense. So far, the two red inks which have disappointed me are Diamine Red Poppy and I agree the Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Red. What I tend to do though is mix red inks, when I find a hue which disappoints. Interesting to throw caution to the wind and see what develops from the mixture. After all, it will still be some variation of red. The Diamine Red Poppy I mixed with MontBlanc Corn Poppy. It is a wonderful shade of almost deep red, not burgandy, perfect edge of crimson. However, someone in the Classified is wanting two 2ml samples of the Diamine Poppy Red and must admit I have regrets about not having saved at least that much to offer. :(

For some reason, I tested ancient copper in my Bexley; although its color is not the hue of red in family I like, still could not stop writing with it and looking at the words. It has been the only color, which has so far left me not knowing what I really think about it; yet, I would not actually purchase it. I was using a gouletpen sample. Well, just finished the fill I had in my Bexley. All this talk, which began with Iroshizuku inks. I have just filled my pen with Yama-Budo. My pen is now doing a happy dance; gliding across pages, enjoying the change emitting from its nib. :wub:

Finding a cheaper more practical option is always nice. But I don't come here necessarily for that. If all we talked about in these discussions is practicality, then it would suck the joy right out of it.

I want to hear what people are passionate about instead. I hope you can see that.

Thank you for expressing this so excellently.

The reason many of us are here on FPN talking about pens, inks, papers, etc is because we enjoy it. We receive pleasure and satisfaction from sharing our passions, our likes and dislikes, the things that bring us an internal delight from using something that gives us a joy.

I find that joy and delight enhances and enriches life. I choose to find joy and delight in my everyday life, in the simple things, and that there is such loveliness in the world if we would choose to see it.

While speaking about what it really means to "love," I would say, no, I do not "love" any ink, or pen, or paper. Not Truly Love. I Truly Love God. I Truly Love my children, my husband, my family. I truly love people.

When I say (and I think this is true for many people) that, "I love Mont Blanc Lavender Purple ink!" What I am truly stating is, "I take great pleasure in this ink, I find it worthwhile, it adds something of value and delight in my life."

I Love my children more than my own life. There is nothing to me on this earth, in this universe that can compare to their worth and value to me. They are of the greatest worth in my heart, in my mind, in my value. I love them. I LOVE LOVE LOVE them. Forever. No matter what. Regardless of how they act or what happens in life, I love my daughter and I love my son. Forever. I give my life to teach them, raise them, pour into their hearts and their lives so that they would grow to become all they were made to be; the very best version of themselves. I love them. I look for their ultimate and best good in everything. THAT is love. Giving one self selflessly for the ultimate good of another. That is true love. (Now granted I do not love them perfectly as I am not nor can never be a perfect human being, I can not love perfectly; only God loves perfectly. His love is so much better than mine.) Despite my own failings and limitations as a person, I love my children more than anything.

And that includes all things. Pens, inks, papers, etc. I enjoy those things. I take delight in them. They give me pleasure. And I have even greater pleasure in sharing them with my children. Even though they are young, I am still trying to introduce them into this hobby, and they both are enthusiastic whenever I let them use "their" preppies. ;)

A thing enjoyed increases in it's pleasure when it is shared. There is more delight in something when we share the pleasure with another. That is why people naturally form groups or clubs, etc. We want to share our passions and delights with others because it increases the delight.

I don't mean to preach or anything of the sort. I am simply sharing my views and personal opinions. Some people will agree some will not, and that is okay.

I am very happy with my life. I find joy and beauty and love and life, and it is wonderful. I choose to be happy. And I like my choice.

If other people don't want to see beauty or joy in life and only see cynical practicality that is their choice. But I like my choice best for myself. ;)

7645e9b8b66bf887112adfaa92dfc119.jpg

Tessy Moon

My thoughts are filled with beautiful words for the King, and I will use my voice as a writer would use pen and ink. Psalm 45:1

Filling a pen with, oh, say Diamine Oxblood and appreciating the results is a very different from how I felt about my late husband. One should certainly realize what is truly important in life.

That said, I was pleased to note that the authentic Galileo letter that turned up on "Antiques Roadshow" was the same color as Yama-guri ink. I think it appeals to the forger in me.

Tessy, what I prescribed (well, the prescription I repeated, after hearing it from others -- "Love people and use things") is what you live, and have ably described how to live. And for that language, I thank you.

I have to say, Noodler's Blue ink is a delight for me, particularly flowing from my M400's slightly hook-nosed nib. (I negligently allowed it to slip from my lap board to a concrete sidewalk, which has moderated its previously excessive flow without increasing scratchiness.)

Arkanabar yes, your quote is exactly how I feel too. :) I am just a wee bit long winded, lol. I am a writer and am not known for being short and concise...in school my teachers sometimes complained my essays were too long, excellent, just too long, lol. ;)

I am glad your pen is still able to write well despite the mishap! It is a joy to have something continue to work after an accident like that. :)

Tessy Moon

My thoughts are filled with beautiful words for the King, and I will use my voice as a writer would use pen and ink. Psalm 45:1

The minute you wrote the first word,

I could tell you were an ink of distinction

A real big shader...

Hey, big shader, sheen a little sheen for me.

I love crooners.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY