The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

J. Herbin - Lie De Thé

j herbin j. herbin lie de the lie de thé brown

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jasonchickerson

jasonchickerson

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2015 - 20:20

lie de the 01.jpg

lie de the 04.jpg

lie de the 02.jpg

lie de the 03.jpg

Lie de Thé is one ink I was sure I was going to love. Like this ink will be forever married to my favorite pen kind of love. It didn't turn out that way. While Lie de Thé has great sketch behaviors (it washes well with an interesting color shift and leaves a sturdy, sepia line), it is a bit too saturated to be an solo act. It takes over the image. You see the color first, then the art. I think I'll try diluting it and see if that helps things. As is, it's not quite what I'm after.

Unfortunately, I find Lie de Thé to be downright ugly as a writing ink, but that is very subjective. Many, many people love this color, so you be the judge.

Written review on Rhodia Dotpad no. 16. Chocolate Cosmos sketch was done with Lie de Thé in a Stillman and Birn Gamma series book. The spectacular orange of the wash is dulled considerably by the compression on this forum's uploader, so you'll have to take my word for it. Care was taken to ensure color accuracy.

Edited by jasonchickerson, 01 February 2015 - 22:15.

Sponsored Content

#2 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2015 - 20:25

Stunning. One of my favourite inks ever.

#3 Tas

Tas

Graphophile . . .

• Member - Gold

• 4,797 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2015 - 20:59

You see the color first, then the art.

Unfortunately, I find Lie de Thé to be downright ugly as a writing ink, but that is very subjective. 

I completely agree with your colour comment, I don't use it for sketching anymore for the exact same reason. Unless you use it especially for it's saturation and bold splits, I think you're right the colour does take over. 

However, I really, really like it as a writing ink.  :unsure:

Thanks for another corking review!

#4 jasonchickerson

jasonchickerson

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2015 - 21:10

I completely agree with your colour comment, I don't use it for sketching anymore for the exact same reason. Unless you use it especially for it's saturation and bold splits, I think you're right the colour does take over. 

However, I really, really like it as a writing ink.  :unsure:

Thanks for another corking review!

Thanks, Tas. So where can we see these sketches of yours?

#5 Tas

Tas

Graphophile . . .

• Member - Gold

• 4,797 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2015 - 21:20

:blush: 

Oh, they pop up every now and then. They're just for fun and relaxation.

Nothing like as good as yours though.

Not been very productive with them recently, workload etc but I've been desperately trying to encourage my daughter to join in to boost her artistic confidence. A very difficult thing I'm finding . . .  :mellow:

#6 SenZen

SenZen

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 02:58

Wow, great review. I like Lie de Thé so much I'm eyeing the 100ml bottle even though I stil have some.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

#7 jasonchickerson

jasonchickerson

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2015 - 23:33

:blush:

Oh, they pop up every now and then. They're just for fun and relaxation.

Nothing like as good as yours though.

Not been very productive with them recently, workload etc but I've been desperately trying to encourage my daughter to join in to boost her artistic confidence. A very difficult thing I'm finding . . .  :mellow:

I'm sure you are too modest. I guess I'll have to go looking for them...

Wow, great review. I like Lie de Thé so much I'm eyeing the 100ml bottle even though I still have some.

Thanks, I'm glad you found it helpful. I will probably keep a bottle or at least a sample around. It certainly is unique.

#8 DaveBj

DaveBj

Viking Pen Wielder

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2015 - 16:32

I've got this ink in my Ahab.  It's the worst ink I have for show-thru and bleed-thru on my cheap paper; much better behaved on Rhodia.  I like it anyway :P

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick.  --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

#9 DaveBj

DaveBj

Viking Pen Wielder

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2015 - 18:04

I've got this ink in my Ahab.  It's the worst ink I have for show-thru and bleed-thru on my cheap paper; much better behaved on Rhodia.  I like it anyway :P

Sorry to self-refer, but LdT doesn't play well on Omoe River paper, either -- it doesn't dry.  I wrote a letter with the Ahab/LdT/OR combination last night, left the letter out overnight, and there were still wet spots this morning.  Oh well . . .

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

DaveBj

#10 Nibbler

Nibbler

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2015 - 21:30

Lovely review - thank you. I have a bottle of it which has not been opened for a year, I will crack it open again now! 

#11 rudyhou

rudyhou

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:24

that's an awesome sketch  :thumbup:

-rudy-

#12 DaveBj

DaveBj

Viking Pen Wielder

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2015 - 15:51

I wrote another letter with the Ahab/LdT combo on Hammermill copy paper, and the ink was very meek and well behaved.  No bleed-thru, and the beginning of a line was dry by the time I got to the end of it.  I think that this ink works best on a paper that has some absorbency, but not too much.

DaveBj

#13 jasonchickerson

jasonchickerson

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:09

Lovely review - thank you. I have a bottle of it which has not been opened for a year, I will crack it open again now! 

that's an awesome sketch  :thumbup:

Thank you both. I'm glad you found it helpful.

#14 CarpetDog

CarpetDog

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2015 - 20:47

I love brown inks. Your review made me love them even more. I have now purchased and wait patiently for the postman.

#15 Christina

Christina

A pink pen aficionado ❤

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 02:08

This is one I'm dying to try, as I am hoping to marry it to my white tortoise Pelikan m400. But since it's such a subjective color I may just get a sample instead of impulse purchasing a bottle, as have been so prone to doing.

- The poster formerly known as HollyGolightly

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: j herbin, j. herbin, lie de the, lie de thé, brown

Sponsored Content

|