The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Iron Gall Ink: Shake Or Not Before Filling

r&k salix separation

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Big Cheese

Big Cheese

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2015 - 17:10

I am wondering if anyone has any experience to share concerning iron gall inks, specifically R&K Salix.

Before filling my Safaris, is it better to

A. shake the bottle , to mix all ingredients / components up in case they had separated.

Or,

B. keep the bottle still, and leave anything that may have separated on the bottom of the bottle

I am using Salix in Lamy Safaris, so there is no huge financial risk, I just want to use the ink to its full potential.

Thanks in advance,

Laurens

"I will write you a long letter, for I do not have time to write a short one." (Blaise Pascal)

"To get the right answer, you have to ask the right question." (Big Cheese)

Sponsored Content

#2 graystranger

graystranger

Beware of someone with one pen, they probably know how to use it

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2015 - 17:42

I cannot imagine an ink that is intended to settle out before using. Really, picking up the bottle and moving it around stirs it up. I shake all my inks well before filling my pen. I some some of my inks in the wonderful TWSBI Diamond 50 glass ink wells, and to make sure the "filling cone" in the bottle is full, you have to tilt the bottle over. My philosophy: unless the manufacturer specifically states not to, I shake the bottle well. This applies to everything else. If not stated otherwise, it cannot hurt and may be needed.

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

#3 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Super Pinks member:

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,944 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2015 - 18:12

I don't personally. Although to take advantage of the inkwells in my Levenger bottles (one a Levenger ink, one not) I do tip them over before filling, but that is only to fill the inkwell. 

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

#4 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,497 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2015 - 18:44

Not sure about Salix in particular, but I would say in general it's probably better to not shake bottles of iron gall inks.  I think you have to worry about particles coming out of solution (part of the reason that IG inks are higher maintenance).

Certainly I got warned not to do that with KWZI IG Violet #3.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#5 Big Cheese

Big Cheese

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2015 - 21:37

Thank you, Graystranger, Runnin_Ute and InkstainedRuth for sharing your views.

I will go with not shaking.

If somewhere down the road I find that the properties have changed, I may give the bottle a good shake and see what happens.

All the best,

Laurens

"I will write you a long letter, for I do not have time to write a short one." (Blaise Pascal)

#6 Sakura FP Gallery

Sakura FP Gallery

Sakura FP Gallery

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:28

I checked with Rohrer & Klingner and none of their fountain pen inks must be shaken as they use dyes to color the inks. Dyes disolve in water. Even the iron gallic inks are not to be shaken.

On the other hand pigmented inks should be shaken before use.

Catherine Van Hove

www.sakurafountainpengallery.com

Koning Albertstraat 72b - 3290 DIest - Belgium

#7 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,902 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:55

Hi,

R&K Salix appears to have a very low concentration of iron-gall, so even though one might shake it and suffer no ill effects, there is no upside to shaking, and just in case there happens to be any sediment from the I-G component, that will not go back into solution, so may cause problems with flow from clogging.

For the large bore I-G inks, such as the document and registrars inks, quite often they throw a sediment, so should certainly not be shaken or agitated. At least one Member has described the ill effects of sediment being drawn into a pen. http://www.fountainp...-ink/?p=3215941  I have suggested that such inks be decanted off the sediment into separate glass bottles for storage and dispensing.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

#8 Big Cheese

Big Cheese

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2015 - 20:32

Catherine,

Thank you for checking with R&K; if anyone would know it would be them. Now I do not have to wonder the same thing about R&K alt goldgrun.

S1,

thank you for pointing out that any sediment would not be dissolved back into the ink, rendering shaking pointless at best (and possibly harmfull).

Take care,

Laurens

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: r&k salix, separation

Sponsored Content

|