New European Traveling Notebook

Tojusi

As the saying goes, time to put my money where my mouth is... See https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/283218-traveling-notebook-concept-why-so-rare/

I'm starting a new traveling notebook. Here are the main ideas:

• Myself and four others
  • Participants must have an address in Europe
  • Language is English
  • Do not commit to this notebook unless you can afford the time and money - time to write, money to send the notebook onwards
  • To participate, one must be committed to keeping the notebook moving. As a rule of thumb, there should be no more than two weekends between receipt and sending it on (yes yes, real life can intrude, but a rule of thumb)
  • There is no set theme - you can write about yourself, your day, your city, your dreams and aspirations, share poetry or short prose, make drawings. Perhaps even to add clippings or what not. The paper might not be suitable for water color like treatments though. Show off your handwriting, calligraphy, or inks, or all of them. The world is your oyster - you are effectively communicating with four strangers, do what you want.
  • You can write several entries before sending it on - of whatever length - within reason, of course, plus note the time table above.
  • If you have the possibility to scan the latest entries, good - but not a requirement (a precaution if the notebook goes missing). I will try to scan it when it comes back to me, before it goes to the next round.
  • In other words, let's try to do several rounds of this with the same participants.
  • Once the book is full, I will randomly determine which of the five of us gets to keep the physical notebook (all get the scans). If we still want to continue, let's start another notebook.

If the above sounds reasonable to you, sounds like fun, and you want to commit, please PM me. First four to firmly commit get in. The notebook will start moving within two weekends from this date!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tojusi

• sharonspens

• I.M.

• pmhudepo

Top Posters In This Topic

I've PMed you. I'm curious why you wish to limit this to just four participants though...

Actually, it's myself plus four so that makes five. The reason I am limiting attendance is that I would like to see the notebook move around the circle of participants at least one full round if not several - so that every participant gets to see what the others have added to the notebook; so that there is some sense of this being correspondence and exchange of ideas. My main idea on this is that with five participants, it is possible to complete a full circle in a reasonable amount of time.

I have set up one traveling notebook previously, it was 1+5 = six participants. That was two Europeans and four from US. The first full circle took five and a half months. The second full circle was not completed as the person who was to complete second circle by sending it back to me dropped out of contact.

Great idea.

I completely understand limiting participants to a handful: I was/am part of a circle letter in another forum that aimed for 20 people. I think I was 17th in the list, something like that. Anyway, its not made it to me yet and it started nearly a year ago

Scans are great, but much better to get the book back and see the entries first hand...

Edited by Stu L

Okay, that makes sense. And thinking about it I've just passed on one of the other traveling notebooks here, and as I sent it on its way to the next person I wished I had the chance to see what everybody else after me has entered. Snail mail can be incredibly slow sometimes, but I guess it just adds a little extra anticipation before checking your letter box every day.

A brief update - this thread has now been up from more than 72 hours, and so far there is myself + one committed participant + one maybe. So there is still room to get in.

A little nudge to keep this alive... Small circle and with a bit of luck the notebook will do a few rounds so you can see much of each other's contributions. Let's do this!

journaling / tinkering with pens / sailing / photography / software development

I do not have a European addy, so I cannot participate. I am simply chiming in to say that I like your list of clear rules for keeping this thing moving. I have also participated in several past groups in which notebook disappeared by the time the 4th or fifth person got it. It is also frustrating to wait months (or longer) for the list to roll around to your name.

Good luck; I hope you get your last couple of folks.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

move to Europe! :D

Hmmmmm. I hadn't considered that option - uproot my life, and that of my husband and dog, choose a new country across the pond, and make a new life, all in the quest of joining the traveling notebook crew? Yeah, I'll mention that to my people and see what they think.

hahahahaha

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

Hi Dom, you made it in, I change this to 1+5 participants.

The notebook is now full, sorry everyone. But you can always set up another notebook yourself! In fact, I would invite new notebooks being set up.

Hmmmmm. I hadn't considered that option - uproot my life, and that of my husband and dog, choose a new country across the pond, and make a new life, all in the quest of joining the traveling notebook crew? Yeah, I'll mention that to my people and see what they think.

hahahahaha

Sharon in Indiana

Hmmmmmm. Perhaps it might be easier to set up a similar notebook on your side of the pond instead :P

David in Berlin

Hmmmmmm. Perhaps it might be easier to set up a similar notebook on your side of the pond instead :P

David in Berlin

Quite right you are! hehehehe

Perhaps if somebody drops out...? (And no, I wasn't thinking I'll drop out, sorry :) )

Edited by I.M.