The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Sheaffer With An Odd Nib Tipping

sheaffer nib smooth

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Plusfoursmax

Plusfoursmax

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2015 - 00:51

Hi, I just got this pen off fleabay.

fpn_1422657581__aaaaaa.jpg

It is a very pretty pen, but it was a bit scratchy and balky unless the nib was wet. However, the line is smooth and very juicy! 

Under the loupe I could see the tines were misaligned, and a bit of baby's bottom

fpn_1422663646__img_5220.jpg

However, the it is just possible to see above that the slit on the nib was twisted and the edges of the top of the nib were also out of whack; this could have been if one side had been dropped, or a repair job. I am puzzled. There is no damage evident anywhere else. 

fpn_1422659712__img_5212.jpg

Anyhow, I got at the overlap with some 1200 grit wet and dry, followed by orange mylar and lastly a couple of passes of micromesh it is smooth as a babys bottom, butter smooth, a fat line and still lovely juicy feed. 

fpn_1422659964__img_5241.jpg

fpn_1422659981__img_5247.jpg

By the way, although I have a very nice camera with a macro bellows, these were taken with a modified fisheye adapter for my old iphone 3. It works pretty well

fpn_1422664876__img_5266.jpg

Oh, and for looking down pen barrels and into pen caps, this helps: It is a white LED wired to a little torch and heat shrinked to a copper wire. I can bite the battery to switch the light on with both hands free. Its it very handy!

fpn_1422660025__img_5264.jpg

Sponsored Content

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sheaffer, nib, smooth

Sponsored Content

|