Ron Zorn

jhataway

I would like to publicly thank Ron for advice, suggestions, techniques, etc. that he freely gave me to resolve a pen problem. Ron, you are a big plus in the pen world. Thanks again.

Jim Hataway

Edited by jhataway

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jhataway

• Ron Z

• Shaporama

• EBUCKTHORN

I would like to pubically thank Ron for advice, suggestions, techniques, etc. that he freely gave me to resolve a pen problem. Ron, you are a big plus in the pen world. Thanks again.

Jim Hataway

Plus 1 (if I ignore the typo on publicly)

"History Teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives." Abba Eban

In the immortal words of the Bard, "Ditto".

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Only guy I trusted with my gran's pen. :notworthy1: Not wildly valuable except in sentiment and it was in rough shape. Looks like it'll last another 50+ years and looks brand new again. :happycloud9:

Mr Zorn is first class - the Kullock orange P51 I bought from him is an EDC. Great person, great pens.

Edited by DrRoger

I have to agree with the plaudits; Ron has done amazing work on 1930s pens of mine that came back looking like new.

Words like ethical, reliable, professional come to mind.

The downside is the wait times for repairs; one person can only do so much in a day.

Thanks again Ron for the great work.

Glenn.

Ron is a constant presence on the Repair Forum and freely gives his professional opinion to many amateurs like me. I wish he lived nearby so I could buy him a drink or two.

Great customer service, and the results are definitely worth the wait - thank you!

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

I agree. I've asked for a lot of help in this forum (and will contiue to bug you) and received it. When Ron, Bruce, or FarmBoy, or Daniel talk, I listen. I appreciate all the help, but these guys are careful to be accurate and they know what they are talking about. Their advice is given generously and is often humorous. Thanks guys and thanks to all.

Looking for a black SJ Transitional Esterbrook Pen. (It's smaller than an sj)

And here I thought Ron is simply a very capable, honest, caring, compassionate intelligent person. And now I find out that he is a plus to the world of pens!

Someday I will have to meet this man, or at least, give him some real business - maybe at the next Commonwealth pen Show - Boston - (whenever that is).

BTW, great recommendation from people who know you and your work.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

I'll jump on the bandwagon. I've learned more from Ron, who was kind enough to talk with me as he was working on pens at the Ohio Pen Show, than any of the other sources of information I've collected. He's given some great advice offline, as well.

Here here... I currently have my grandfathers pen into Mr. Zorn for nib replacement/service. Having worked with Ron before I know I'm in very capable hands...

:happycloud9:

JC3

I have not yet sent a pen to Ron for repair, but I have purchased a fully restored pen from him (Sheaffer Lady Balance) that is a beauty and writes wonderfully; he put a custom stub grind on it for me, too. He has also offered me excellent advice on repairs for pens I repaired myself and his Pen Repairs: Cheap Tools articles on his site have been invaluable to me, and probably to many others as well. I only do very simple repairs; I would not hesitate to send a pen in need of expert repair/restoration to him, and most definitely hope to buy another vintage pen or three from him as well.

One of the "good 'uns" that we are lucky to have share in our hobby/obsession/addiction.

Holly

• 6 months later...

I had the good fortune to spend some time with Ron and Robyn during a recent trip they made back to their previous residence of Syracuse. They were extremely knowledgeable regarding an accumulation of pens I have and they were very gracious and amazingly generous with their time during a hectic visit. I was mightily impressed and am very appreciative!

Whew! When I first saw the heading of this post I thought we'd lost Ron! Not that he seemed in poor health when I last saw him (at the LI pen show in March), but because it seems that every couple of months we lose another fountain pen notable (my wife says the demographic is clearly skewed towards older males).

Anyway, thanks for all of your contributions Ron, and thanks for not dying (not for a long time anyway)!

Edited by Shaporama

Anyway, thanks for all of your contributions Ron, and thanks for not dying (not for a long time anyway)!

Thanks! My family agrees with you. ;) Lord willing, I have many years ahead of me.

But the sad news is that we have indeed lost many good friends. Sam Marshall, who at one time owned Snorkel Solutions passed away last week. I am reminded of Sam every time I repair a PFM, since I bought my PFM wrench from him the first time I showed up at a pen show doing repairs at DC in 2011. Always a gentleman, Sam will be missed.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.