Sailor Souten

Tessy Moon

Here is a quick review of Sailor Souten. I mainly wanted to show off its lovely sheen that I have been greatly enjoying on Tomoe River paper.

So far I have had great behavior with this ink in each pen, nib, and paper combo I have tired.

However, to get the fantastic sheen you really need Tomoe River to do it full justice!

feec75da4127caba9f2d2557847c8242.jpg

261450b2f6c1a9d51271c010927d7fdb.jpg

ba28ea110d29656f1f3c17d1d257738d.jpg

30975aeec4ee3a46217842c014ab64e8.jpg

e1f117e6b0f476b160b1e915e3ab89e5.jpg

3b8a93d837ae76db7fd741b0de9b7486.jpg

a888d6622e6494852d233af1b1cebbb6.jpg

888356a4edd367755c129d503a830017.jpg

Tessy Moon

My thoughts are filled with beautiful words for the King, and I will use my voice as a writer would use pen and ink. Psalm 45:1

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tessy Moon

• jasonchickerson

• amberleadavis

• Davros

Is Souten simply a renamed Sky High? They look identical from the posted photos. It also looks very similar to photos I've seen of the late Penman Sapphire...

I have not tried Sky High yet, but from the pictures it appears very similar to me. I am supposed to be getting a sample of Sky High sometime in the next week or two, and once I try it I can do a little comparison.

I was concerned that Souten wouldn't give me as much sheen as I wanted, but it has far exceeded and surpassed my hopes in its glorious pinkish purple sheen! :happycloud9:

One thing to note, is that sheen doesn't show up on many papers. You need a special paper like Tomoe River, or Onion Skin paper to be able to really see a lot of sheen. (At least in my experience and from what I have read.) Clairefontaine and Rhodia will give me some sheen, but nothing like Tomoe River.

Tessy Moon

My thoughts are filled with beautiful words for the King, and I will use my voice as a writer would use pen and ink. Psalm 45:1

I have Sky High and that's a little lighter and brighter than what I'm seeing in the photos here (more of a cerulean blue). This looks to be more of a royal blue, at least on my screen. But that might be because of the amount of sheen, giving it a purplish cast (more like a royal blue version of DC Supershow Blue -- think the color of Herbin Eclat de Saphir with the red sheen of DCSSB).

I have a sample of Souten, but haven't tried it yet. It will be interesting to see how it compares to Sky High, an ink I was sorry to see go away (even if it DID permanently stain a practically brand new pliglass sac on one of my 51s...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Edited because my monitor and the colors deceived me a little- and now I realize my comment is irrelevant!

It looks nice though! Great photos!

Edited by HollyGolightly

- The poster formerly known as HollyGolightly

I have Sky High and that's a little lighter and brighter than what I'm seeing in the photos here (more of a cerulean blue). This looks to be more of a royal blue, at least on my screen. But that might be because of the amount of sheen, giving it a purplish cast (more like a royal blue version of DC Supershow Blue -- think the color of Herbin Eclat de Saphir with the red sheen of DCSSB).

I have a sample of Souten, but haven't tried it yet. It will be interesting to see how it compares to Sky High, an ink I was sorry to see go away (even if it DID permanently stain a practically brand new pliglass sac on one of my 51s...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Souten is on the lighter end of the royal blue spectrum imo - but still very well saturated. I think I would've loved Sky High as I love cerulean and turquoise blues.

Still, I am very pleased with Souten and the sheen makes me so happy every time I write with this ink!

Tessy Moon

Edited because my monitor and the colors deceived me a little- and now I realize my comment is irrelevant!

It looks nice though! Great photos!

Breakfast at Tiffany's!!!!! Always makes me happy!!!

I totally love your name, avatar, etc. So awesome!!! ;)

Tessy Moon

@ Davros - Get it! I am sure you will like it! ;)

Tessy Moon

• 2 months later...

Is Souten simply a renamed Sky High? They look identical from the posted photos. It also looks very similar to photos I've seen of the late Penman Sapphire...

Somewhere in here there is a review/comparison of Souten VS Sky HIgh... Okuyama VS Grenada.. and TokinaMatsou VS Epinard.... I want to say SamCapote did them... but I am not 100% sure.

In summary.. there is a very practical reason Sailor discontinued Sky High, Grenada and Epinard.... They are too similar (if not identical at times with the right pen/paper). So to answer the question... It is NOT a renamed Sky High... but for any practical purposes, most people wouldn't tell the difference.

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Somewhere in here there is a review/comparison of Souten VS Sky HIgh... Okuyama VS Grenada.. and TokinaMatsou VS Epinard.... I want to say SamCapote did them... but I am not 100% sure.

In summary.. there is a very practical reason Sailor discontinued Sky High, Grenada and Epinard.... They are too similar (if not identical at times with the right pen/paper). So to answer the question... It is NOT a renamed Sky High... but for any practical purposes, most people wouldn't tell the difference.

C.

Interestingly, I just bought a bottle of Souten yesterday. Should arrive tomorrow. I believe I saw a chromatography comparison between Sky High and Souten, which showed them to be very closely related, if not identical. I know I saw chromatography for Grenade and Oku-yama and I believe they are the same. (Though the last time I made that claim, another FPNer got a bit worked up about it). :yikes:

Yeah, I agree. They aren't exactly identical, but they are so close that unless you are doing a VERY thorough comparison, you won't be able to tell a difference at all between Apricot/Kin-mokusei, Sky High/Souten, Grenade/Oku-yama. I do personally think that Epinard and Tokiwa-matsu were kind of different, more different that the other sets, but still not THAT different.

(Though the last time I made that claim, another FPNer got a bit worked up about it). :yikes:

Yeah.. some people get worked up about anything... :rolleyes: ... I avoid "stepping" on toes by starting absolute statements with IMHO... :lol:

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

C.

These are kind of my thoughts to, there are a lot of similarities in these inks, and well, those whom not have those to compare, can be seen as only a renamed version of the same ink.