Deleted - posted in error
Edited by migo984, 11 August 2015 - 04:10.
Jump to content
Posted 11 August 2015 - 04:07
Edited by migo984, 11 August 2015 - 04:10.
Posted 14 August 2015 - 03:05
Working on the A5 version.
Visualizing the covers.
Mounted on the coverboards
Pictured with the Slimline size
The Ostrich hide was not as supple as I wished it..
so i decided to glue all round the 4 edges, and leave the right-angled corners to a later stage.
Here you see the corners are left unglued , whilst the rest of the 4 edges are glued in place.
The rounded corners are manageable, so they were glued in the same operation,
one edge at a time , in a clockwise direction.
Starting with the spine edge first.
(There's a practical reason for doing the spine edge first , I learnt, but its so tedious to explain in words )
The right angled corners are left to a later operation , to allow the 4 edges to be worked on at an unhurried pace.
( If you attempt to do a difficult corner along with the routine straight edges, you will be pressured to ensure that BOTH corners and edges are properly done - at the same time - and it often doesnt work out well. Your attention is divided. The corners will take away your concentration on the other parts like the edges.
and then when the glue dries and everything sets, you discover to your shock that a flaw , defect has occurred in that part that you didnt had time to pay attention to.)
So one workaround, is to separate the operation into phases - to turn the operation into two stages or more.
Here is a closer view of the unglued corner.
AFTER you have ensured that the other straight edges are properly done and set in place,
go back to do the corners.
Open up the corners to give yourself working space - for your small glue brush to reach the tight corners.
Since the sides have been properly glued down and already fixed in place, you need not fear that working on the corners will affect or move the straight edges out of position.
If needed, peel back already glued portions to achieve working space.
At this stage, apply sticky glue - as sticky as possible (close to drying)
becos the leather will resist staying put in that folded position.
Then fold over.
Ensure that the corners remain right angled and not becoming rounded.
After doing one corner, you can clamp it lightly to make the folds stay put while you work on the other right angled corner.
Sorry forgot to take a pic.
When both right angled corners are done,
move on to 'serious' clamping on all the 4 corners.
3 ply of MDF boards , each 5mm thick.
Very great clamping force, so watch very carefully where exactly the jaws are positioned over the corners.
This time round , i clamped overnight
The morning after ..
The edges of the corners are not exactly straight and crisp becos the leather was not pared down evenly in that area under the coverboard.
( confession : I was lazy )
One solution is to wet the leather and press on a flat surface to correct this.
But I dont want to take the risk.
The SLIMLINE covers are the chest (below throat) part of the bird, hence you see coarser quill dots and coarser texture.
The larger A5 size is the under belly part - fine feathers, so you see finer quill dots and finer texture.
Tonality is also slightly different - exposed to sun - darker.
Hidden from sun - lighter tone.
Posted Yesterday, 06:05
Its that time of the year again ...
exploring some ideas ...
went back to this ...
Kinda like a pen scribbling out the "2015" ...
BTW, a kind friend actually concocted this ink out of Blue Pea flowers.
It started with making a tea out of it.
Then I enquired if it ever was possible to make an ink out of it.
She said never again ! Took her a LOT of flowers to make a just a small quantity concentrated enough solution that was passable as ink.
I am grateful.
The above was painted on.
Not bad, a pastel blue.
I haven't settled on any idea yet.
Black & White ?
Still making studies....
Posted Yesterday, 07:47
I love this part of the design process.
The Roman numerals are my favourite (second sketch from the bottom) - very different to previous Fountain Pen Day journals. If you used Roman numerals you could theme the colours e.g. Tyrian (Royal) purple, white and gold - the colours of the Roman Senate.
Si hortum in bibliotheca habes, nihil deerit.
Posted Yesterday, 12:16
I too like the second from bottom design - the way the V flows out of the slit of the nib, perfectly parallel...
I think if you go for that one, it will have to be a sketch - no way the emboss or deboss process is going to bring out all the subtlety of the design... but then, having just got two of your fab journals I'm going to give others a chance to get this...