How Do You Play With Your New Inks?

fountainpenlady

What I do now is I use Maruman Word Cards and a Rohrer and Klingner glass pen. I keep them organized by color.

On the card, I write the name of the ink, the name of the pen, and the date. All of this together gives me a writing sample. I also lay the glass pen on its side and make a nice huge swab up to the edge of the card. It's not a perfect system, but it gives me a good indication of color and it allows me to compare colors quickly.

Previously, I kept the samples in a notebook, but the trouble was that they were hard to compare and impossible to organize by color.

If I really like what I see with the ink, I will ink up a pen or two and write with it. Otherwise, no.

So, you keep a record of the ink and organize? You also mention you use a glass pen, a dip pen is the first to touch the ink?

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainpenlady

• amberleadavis

• Sailor Kenshin

• F104

I never play with my ink.

:lticaptd: :lticaptd: :lticaptd: :lticaptd: :lticaptd: :lticaptd:

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2015-Inklings/2015-Ink_0127.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2015-Inklings/2015-Ink_0128.jpg

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2015-Inklings/2015-Ink_0129.jpg

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2015-Inklings/2015-Ink_0130.jpg

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2015-Inklings/2015-Ink_0131.jpg

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2015-Pens/20150126_125437.jpg

Oh and this is me talking to my daughter about playing with her food ink.

Absolutely inspiring. :notworthy1: Most of this I can begin to do immediately. Still, I am going to write these tips down so that I can enjoy the process of sampling inks, as much as I enjoy writing with fountain pens. Not so detailed as to overwhelm, and not so simple as to cause me to forget what I am doing when I enjoy testing out new inks. I am not so good anymore at details. This was perfect for me :thumbup:

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

The original is in the mail to you.

Oh and this is me talking to my daughter about playing with her food ink.

Moticia and Wednesday, she is listening intently too. :lticaptd:

The original is in the mail to you.

Thank you so much. I am glad I have not really begun to test the new inks received and can start over again using your technique. I will probably have to improvise some of it, but it is doable. :)

So, you keep a record of the ink and organize? You also mention you use a glass pen, a dip pen is the first to touch the ink?

I keep a record because I may later buy a full bottle of the ink sample. I look back at the record sometimes a year or two later. Organization is by color family and then I alphabetize. The cards are easily rearranged.

Yes, I try the ink first with a glass dip pen. It may not look the same as it does in a fountain pen, but the dip pen gives me a good indication of the color.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

I'm going to embarrass myself here, but when I get a new ink, I load it up into a flex pen (usually an Ahab), and....

I defile a Moleskine.

That's right. I said it. When I want to see how an ink does, I put it on bad paper, flex around a little, and see how it feels, how it looks on the page, etc. Moleskine dries fairly quickly, and it's basically my "junk journal" (as opposed to my actual written journal). I can get as big and as swooshy as I like, with no fear of wasting good or expensive paper. I doodle, I swoop, I enjoy (or, in one or two cases, despise) the ink, and then I go from there. I have a Quo Vadis notebook that serves a similar purpose, but that also contains ink reviews. I try not to waste pages in the QV book (as much), but it's a hard temptation to resist.

Girl Sam

(It used to be Sammi with a heart drawn over the I, but I stopped because absolutely everyone was doing it)

I'm going to embarrass myself here, but when I get a new ink, I load it up into a flex pen (usually an Ahab), and....

I defile a Moleskine.

That's right. I said it. When I want to see how an ink does, I put it on bad paper, flex around a little, and see how it feels, how it looks on the page, etc. Moleskine dries fairly quickly, and it's basically my "junk journal" (as opposed to my actual written journal). I can get as big and as swooshy as I like, with no fear of wasting good or expensive paper. I doodle, I swoop, I enjoy (or, in one or two cases, despise) the ink, and then I go from there. I have a Quo Vadis notebook that serves a similar purpose, but that also contains ink reviews. I try not to waste pages in the QV book (as much), but it's a hard temptation to resist.

I defile a Moleskine.

That's right. I said it. When I want to see how an ink does, I put it on bad paper, flex around a little, and see how it feels, how it looks on the page, etc. Moleskine dries fairly quickly, and it's basically my "junk journal" (as opposed to my actual written journal). I can get as big and as swooshy as I like, with no fear of wasting good or expensive paper. I doodle, I swoop, I enjoy (or, in one or two cases, despise) the ink, and then I go from there. I have a Quo Vadis notebook that serves a similar purpose, but that also contains ink reviews. I try not to waste pages in the QV book (as much), but it's a hard temptation to resist.Oh

Oh My! I think I have one somewhere around here :blush:

Edited by fountainpenlady

I (almost) always sample an ink before purchasing a bottle. Part of this is just economy. Part is because I like to try several different inks that are very similar to each other and choose the one I like the most. Part is because I am an ink addict and I like having a hundred ink sample vials in my desk drawer. ;)

When I have decided to make a commitment to buy a bottle of ink, I am always filled with anticipation. I select a specific pen or two, clean it out and get it all ready for my new ink.

When my ink arrives I take time to admire the bottle, then ink up one pen about half way. I have an ink journal where I draw a little rectangle and fill it in to display the color of the ink, then I write the ink brand and name, then the pen and nib I used.

After this I test it out on lots of different papers. I have test papers that I keep around for specific colors and papers for whatever inks I am using that week. I compare the ink on the different papers, and if I love it (which if I bought a bottle I am already sure of a growing affection), then I ink it up with another pen. I always look for the perfect ink + pen + nib combination. I like to know how an ink will look in my different pens and find just the right match.

I prefer stub nibs or the Ahab flex pens because I can see more of the ink; shading, flow, the depth, saturation, hidden qualities and hues are easier seen in big wet nibs. I also just really love stub nibs.

After testing on different papers, I will use it until the half fill runs out. I write in my journal daily, I write a lot of letters, I write in my devotion time, etc. I am a writer so obviously when I am working on one of my books I can use it then too (although I usually prefer an ink that corresponds with the mood of whatever I am writing).

I like to compare the inks I have with one another to see the themes and stories they tell. I lean towards similar inks in a variety of ranges - most of my inks are purple, pink or turquoise; but I have other colors as well. I like to draw flowers and get a feel for how the ink works in a picture. (Although I am not an artist at all and my drawings are pretty sad looking, it is simply for my own amusement.)

One thing I just started trying is seeing how the inks work with painting and color washes. I am having so much fun with this new experiment. It is fascinating to see how inks perform and transform when interacting with a paint brush and water! (Be sure to use good paper if you do this. Thick watercolor paper is great. I've been using Tomoe River a little too, just don't get it too wet.)

Most of the time I want to use several different inks in different pens every day. I like variety. But there are a couple inks I almost always have inked up in a pen. I suppose it really depends on how many pens you have and how often you are willing to clean them out, lol. Most of the time I won't do a full fill on my pens. I know I will want to switch around the inks I use.

I hope you enjoy playing and having fun just writing with your inks & pens! There are so many lovely choices available! :)

Tessy Moon

My thoughts are filled with beautiful words for the King, and I will use my voice as a writer would use pen and ink. Psalm 45:1

I (almost) always sample an ink before purchasing a bottle. Part of this is just economy. Part is because I like to try several different inks that are very similar to each other and choose the one I like the most. Part is because I am an ink addict and I like having a hundred ink sample vials in my desk drawer. ;)

When I have decided to make a commitment to buy a bottle of ink, I am always filled with anticipation. I select a specific pen or two, clean it out and get it all ready for my new ink.

When my ink arrives I take time to admire the bottle, then ink up one pen about half way. I have an ink journal where I draw a little rectangle and fill it in to display the color of the ink, then I write the ink brand and name, then the pen and nib I used.

After this I test it out on lots of different papers. I have test papers that I keep around for specific colors and papers for whatever inks I am using that week. I compare the ink on the different papers, and if I love it (which if I bought a bottle I am already sure of a growing affection), then I ink it up with another pen. I always look for the perfect ink + pen + nib combination. I like to know how an ink will look in my different pens and find just the right match.

I prefer stub nibs or the Ahab flex pens because I can see more of the ink; shading, flow, the depth, saturation, hidden qualities and hues are easier seen in big wet nibs. I also just really love stub nibs.

After testing on different papers, I will use it until the half fill runs out. I write in my journal daily, I write a lot of letters, I write in my devotion time, etc. I am a writer so obviously when I am working on one of my books I can use it then too (although I usually prefer an ink that corresponds with the mood of whatever I am writing).

I like to compare the inks I have with one another to see the themes and stories they tell. I lean towards similar inks in a variety of ranges - most of my inks are purple, pink or turquoise; but I have other colors as well. I like to draw flowers and get a feel for how the ink works in a picture. (Although I am not an artist at all and my drawings are pretty sad looking, it is simply for my own amusement.)

One thing I just started trying is seeing how the inks work with painting and color washes. I am having so much fun with this new experiment. It is fascinating to see how inks perform and transform when interacting with a paint brush and water! (Be sure to use good paper if you do this. Thick watercolor paper is great. I've been using Tomoe River a little too, just don't get it too wet.)

Most of the time I want to use several different inks in different pens every day. I like variety. But there are a couple inks I almost always have inked up in a pen. I suppose it really depends on how many pens you have and how often you are willing to clean them out, lol. Most of the time I won't do a full fill on my pens. I know I will want to switch around the inks I use.

I hope you enjoy playing and having fun just writing with your inks & pens! There are so many lovely choices available! :)

I was wondering whether you have tried or will you be trying an ink called Caran A'Che. It is expensive, but GouletPenCompany does have samples of it for $2.50. People were talking about Iroshizuku inks being high in cost, this one and I believe Organics (?) have them beat, in my opinion. :yikes:

I was gifted a sample of Caran D'Ache Divine Pink, but it isn't my type of pink; too orange for me.

I think Caran D'Ache is the most expensive that I know about (at least that are commonly sold in the States; I know some foreign inks are really expensive, but that's mostly due to shipping, customs, etc.)

Organics Studio wasn't expensive in my opinion; I have 4 bottles. I think I paid around $12-$14 for a 55 ml bottle. Now that they have stopped making inks they may be more expensive because they are harder to find. I believe there are some for sale in the marketplace though. My favorite O.S. inks are Jane Austen (a lovely soft purple) and Emily Dickinson (a purple leaning bright pink).

Caran D'Ache and Iroshizuku are definitely two of the higher priced inks that I am aware of (considering not only cost but also cost + how much ink you get). But there are other inks that are higher cost too; Mont Blanc (especially the 30 ml special limited editions), Pelikan Edelistein and the 1670 J Herbin inks are ones that come to my mind immediately (perhaps because I have purchased (or considering to purchase) all of those within the last few months they are on the top of mind? lol)

I think that it is important to weigh in your mind what is this worth to you? Because value in this sort of thing is relative in the sense that one person may value a $30 or $40 bottle of ink where as another person is happy with a $12 bottle. You have to find what is right for you, for your budget, your tastes and life style.

Making wise spending choices is important to me, and I am hesitant to spend money on anything before I have weighed in my mind what it is worth to me personally and if I will enjoy this item in the long run. I try my best to refrain from impulse purchases. If I impulse buy I am 90% likely to have buyer's remorse. I try to avoid that as much as possible. Sometimes I will contemplate purchasing something for months before making the purchase. I want to be sure I will really enjoy it and that it will be something that is either useful, delightful, or somehow adding something of value to my life or the lives of others.

Yes, I do over think things. A lot. Sometimes way too much. But on the other hand, I hold absolutely no reserve in my utter enjoyment and delight of something. So I think it all balances out quite well. ;)

Tessy Moon

My thoughts are filled with beautiful words for the King, and I will use my voice as a writer would use pen and ink. Psalm 45:1