How Do You Play With Your New Inks?

fountainpenlady

I am collecting my writing paper along the way now. I have a Rhodia tablet, I like unlined/blank pages. I also just found some sheet of paper which are a nice texture and can use them to write short letters with my new inks. I will have to stick to the fountain pens I write with in rotation and love. All of them are extra fine nibs, but they all do not write with the same line, in my opinion. If I can manage to not spill any of the ink, I will be doing well and having fun indeed. Still shaking my head about dropping most of a sample in of Fuyu-gaki on my bed! Yes, a beautiful shade of orange which never made it to any of my fountain pens. :gaah:

Awww...that was a NICE color. I was group-testing it this month.

If you want to try a couple of paper samples, let me know.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainpenlady

• amberleadavis

• Sailor Kenshin

• F104

You use up the entire bottle before going to another color? You don't ever change your ink until you have thoroughly and completely used the ink? Suppose you get bored? Do you ever get bored of using one ink? Even my love for red allows me to be able to use different shades of red in different pens in rotation. I also have bottled inks, inks I fill in my Lamys with a syringe and cartridge to only use perhaps that one filling before trying a new color.

Well. I grew up with Grandparents, Aunts and Uncles who were born in the latter half of the 19th century {that dates me!} before the fountain pen became a reality. So I view pen and ink as tools for a purpose. I write 3-4 letters to friends and relatives every week so my choice of ink color is mainly the ones I'm familiar with. I'm in the habit of using up a bottle of ink, and I was astonished at the proliferation of ink colors now available. However I do limit my choice. At the moment my two favorite colors are J Herbin Poussiere de Lune and Diamine Sherwood Green.

However, it is a joy to look up these forums and see so much enthusiasm in this century, keeping pen and inks alive.

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

:)

All together, I have seven new inks coming soon. I have four fountain pens. I intend to do just what you say, just wondering how others enjoy testing new inks with their writing instruments. Innocent question, but I will add that some inks don't necessarily agree with certain pens and although it may be just ink, it could be costly to one of our fountain pens if the ink does not agree with the pen. :yikes:

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

Well. I grew up with Grandparents, Aunts and Uncles who were born in the latter half of the 19th century {that dates me!} before the fountain pen became a reality. So I view pen and ink as tools for a purpose. I write 3-4 letters to friends and relatives every week so my choice of ink color is mainly the ones I'm familiar with. I'm in the habit of using up a bottle of ink, and I was astonished at the proliferation of ink colors now available. However I do limit my choice. At the moment my two favorite colors are J Herbin Poussiere de Lune and Diamine Sherwood Green.

However, it is a joy to look up these forums and see so much enthusiasm in this century, keeping pen and inks alive.

How interesting. I reside in a small southern town near a military base. Still, I get the most amazed reactions at times when I write with my fountain pen; the reaction comes from both adults and students. I have written with my fountain pen almost exclusively for years. I am perhaps a renaissance woman. I enjoy and for several years exclusively used red inks. You are right, I could not believe how many variations of red inks alone there are available. Well, I have had to replenish my ink supply. I have decided to take this time to see what other colors are available and add some variety in terms of my ink collection. One purchase of a myriad of inks before I settle down again and like you, mainly using ones for which I am familar. I don't write letters, but I constantly make lists, journal write and sometimes send cards to friends. Trying to keep alive the practice and joy of personal communication, using what your grandparents, aunts and uncles regarded as tools. It is quite good to be dated by the way, means you are still on this side of the ground and that is a good thing.

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

I bet the Safari will do just fine. Got a bulb syringe?

Indeed, I do. I have two, in fact.

Furthermore, I can now confirm that, at least in the first hour or so, Stormy Grey works very well in an Al-Star with a broad nib.(Took me a while to find the nib; I was going to put it on a Safari, but it was in the Al-Star when I found it, so....) I haven't used the broad in a while, so I don't recall clearly how it was last time I sued it, but either because of the ink, or the nib--or perhaps the two in combination--that is one wet writer right now.

I think the ink choices I am enjoying after a 40 year break when I cleaned & filled my Parent's & my old pens after clearing out several desks they had used was equal in pleasure to the pens I have been buying. I really didn't KNOW there WAS such a variety! I had only known black & the "blues family." AND I have clearly come "full circle" from avoiding blues for the new available colors ( oranges, greens, browns & purples) to now trying out blues & their cousins the "blue/blacks." I definitely think I enjoy the ink choices EQUALLY to the pen selection. I still avoid black pens & probably won't be trying to discover the joy of same ink when I am so happy with the myriad of browns & "is it black?" choices such as OS Walt Whitman, Noodler's Zhivago, Cult Pen's Deep/Dark series & PR's Black "series." BUT "never say never" someday I may be squealing about Aurora's Black just as I have heard others!

Recently, I kind of went a little overboard inks. Coming to me soon, several inks, including several from Pilot Iroshizuku line. Well, I am a true red bottled ink lover to my heart. Other than mixing hues of red ink and filling up my favorite fountain pen, I am not really experienced in actually testing inks for use. Do you simply fill up one fountain pen and use ink until no longer in the fountain pen, then change to another color? Do you just put enough to slightly give you some sense of the ink, maybe write with it a couple of lines, then discard? How do you play when you have a new batch of more than one ink and want to simply play by using in one or more sittings different hues of newly acquired inks? All suggestions welcome, I know if I am feeling giddy now, won't know where to begin when inks arrive. :lol:

Simple, you have to have as many pens as you have ink, or as many inks as you have pens. Each ink goes in a different pen. Every so often switch things around.

I think the ink choices I am enjoying after a 40 year break when I cleaned & filled my Parent's & my old pens after clearing out several desks they had used was equal in pleasure to the pens I have been buying. I really didn't KNOW there WAS such a variety! I had only known black & the "blues family." AND I have clearly come "full circle" from avoiding blues for the new available colors ( oranges, greens, browns & purples) to now trying out blues & their cousins the "blue/blacks." I definitely think I enjoy the ink choices EQUALLY to the pen selection. I still avoid black pens & probably won't be trying to discover the joy of same ink when I am so happy with the myriad of browns & "is it black?" choices such as OS Walt Whitman, Noodler's Zhivago, Cult Pen's Deep/Dark series & PR's Black "series." BUT "never say never" someday I may be squealing about Aurora's Black just as I have heard others!

Have you tried the peacock blues and sky blues yet? I have a peacock blue coming. I also have a green/yellow. Believe I wrote with blue mostly many years ago. I never liked black, guess it is because it is always the main staple for everything, signing documents, etc. Even the blue family has so many variations now. I am beginning to enjoy the inks as much as my pens. I am still relatively not through the different ink companies, and believe I have a long way to go; it will be fun. Now, I am intrigued and interested in experimenting with a couple of colors from the Pilot Iroshizuku line. Before, I liked Montblanc. I have tried Levenger. Noodler's sound interesting. Aurora Black, sounds intriguing, but there is something about simply filling my fountain pen and writing with black; there are so many colors from which to choose.

I don't own a pen that isn't inked. Right now I have just shy of 20 pens. If I count my wife's pens, more. I don't absolutely match ink color to pen color, but I do try to find an ink I have that compliments the pen. Some pens scream, to me, to be color matched. Others make no difference.

Black pens are easiest to use any color in. I have several brown pens that get mainly brown or other earth tone inks. Often the ink I have in mind for a pen doesn't work, so I compromise. If I have an ink I really like, I may have it in several different pens. Right now green, red and brown are my favorite colors. Love Diamine Red Dragon and Oxblood. Love Iroshizuku Horsetail and MB Toffee Brown. Love MB Jonathan Swift Seaweed Green, Daniel Defoe Palm Green and Sailor Epinard. I've finally found my blue in Diamine Regency Blue. Those inks dominate my pens right now. That will change as I discover new inks.

I guess I go completely by feel. If it feels right to me in the pen, I go with it. What feels right to me, other may abhor. That's what makes this hobby so great.

Edited by Jeff_H

I enjoy MB 146 pens, Sailor, Pilot and Platinum pens as well. I have a strong attraction to dark red and muted green ink, colors I dislike for everything but FP ink. I also enjoy practicing my handwriting and attempting to improve it. I love the feel of quality paper under a gold nib.

I use a dip pen to test new inks. I write a paragraph in a Clairefontaine notebook (my ink journal), and fill out an index card, using a Q-tip for capturing a swab of color. The dip pen is super-easy to clean, so I can try out a half-dozen ink samples in no time.

Google "ranga ebonite dip pen" to see what I'm using.

Then I wait for the right pen to free up to load with ink. I do color-match inks to pens--if not a match, then the ink color must complement the pen somehow. White, clear, and silver pens are neutral and can be loaded with any color.

I'd post how I play with new inks, but it'd probably get me banned ;P

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

:yikes: :blush:

Oooolll this I'd love to hear.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

:)

Simple, you have to have as many pens as you have ink, or as many inks as you have pens. Each ink goes in a different pen. Every so often switch things around.

You have definitely inspired me...to purchase more pens. I am thinking about a Pelikan M605 and my first TWSBI! :D

Oooolll this I'd love to hear.

No, we might need a visual. :yikes:

I don't own a pen that isn't inked. Right now I have just shy of 20 pens. If I count my wife's pens, more. I don't absolutely match ink color to pen color, but I do try to find an ink I have that compliments the pen. Some pens scream, to me, to be color matched. Others make no difference.

Black pens are easiest to use any color in. I have several brown pens that get mainly brown or other earth tone inks. Often the ink I have in mind for a pen doesn't work, so I compromise. If I have an ink I really like, I may have it in several different pens. Right now green, red and brown are my favorite colors. Love Diamine Red Dragon and Oxblood. Love Iroshizuku Horsetail and MB Toffee Brown. Love MB Jonathan Swift Seaweed Green, Daniel Defoe Palm Green and Sailor Epinard. I've finally found my blue in Diamine Regency Blue. Those inks dominate my pens right now. That will change as I discover new inks.

I guess I go completely by feel. If it feels right to me in the pen, I go with it. What feels right to me, other may abhor. That's what makes this hobby so great.

I agree with you. I had a small impressive collection of pens. Went through some tough times and had to sell several of my writing babies. It was very, very tough. Now, I have a very tiny few; nothing anyone would want I imagine. I have again started to enjoy them again. I have only recently begun loving inks. Right now, Iroshizuku. Also, I am daring to sample colors other than red. Only very recently have I returned to the Network, it also feels good. :)

What I do now is I use Maruman Word Cards and a Rohrer and Klingner glass pen. I keep them organized by color.

On the card, I write the name of the ink, the name of the pen, and the date. All of this together gives me a writing sample. I also lay the glass pen on its side and make a nice huge swab up to the edge of the card. It's not a perfect system, but it gives me a good indication of color and it allows me to compare colors quickly.

Previously, I kept the samples in a notebook, but the trouble was that they were hard to compare and impossible to organize by color.

If I really like what I see with the ink, I will ink up a pen or two and write with it. Otherwise, no.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!