Washington Dc Super Show 2015?

inky dinky

Thanks very much for this info. I will be staying at the hotel and will be there Thursday and Friday, so I hope to get to know some people before the big crowds hit. Looking forward to seeing lots of folks there. Anyone who's coming, be sure to post in this thread.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmccarty3

• StrawberryJam

• inkstainedruth

• vannesspen

This will be my first pen show. I plan to be there for the entire show.

What is the protocol for buying things? Do most vendors accept credit cards? Or should I bring a stash of cash?

I think that someone has mentioned that there would be several nibmeisters doing simple repairs. I suppose that they fill up rather quickly

What is the protocol for buying things? Do most vendors accept credit cards? Or should I bring a stash of cash?

I can only comment on my experiences at one show (Triangle Pen Show 2015), but there most (not all, but most) dealers took credit cards. In this day of ubiquitous smartphones and services like Square, there's not much excuse for not taking them IMO, but some dealers still only take cash. Said dealers always seem to know the location of the nearest ATM, which is helpful. ;)

MrThoth

Scribe, Master of Mystic Lore, Young Curmudgeon

Thanks very much for this info. I will be staying at the hotel and will be there Thursday and Friday, so I hope to get to know some people before the big crowds hit. Looking forward to seeing lots of folks there. Anyone who's coming, be sure to post in this thread.

There will be a pen addict meet up Friday evening; a great opportunity to spend time visiting with vendors and with peers!

vanness1938@sbcglobal.net

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae327/VintagePen/vanness.jpg
Selling fountain pens, ink, paper & related items since 1938

Yea, the PR work going into the DC show has been minimal in recent years. I want to know if Mike Masuyama is going to be there, so I guess I'll just email him myself.

Dave

yes he will. Texted with him last week.

I just finished making my plans to attend the show. I've never been to a pen show before. I'm really looking forward to this.

Wear comfy shoes! You picked THE big show. Have a list of what you want AND make sure you let your credit card company know- last year numerous folks had to call the credit cards ( fraud protection?)

Its a full weekend of pen fun- day and night

Yay, GClef! I'll be there Friday to Sunday!

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/Gibberish/0716150730-1.jpg

Sadly it looks like I can't make it now. My foster kitties are still here and still need a fair amount of supervision. Hopefully next year a pregnant mom cat WILL NOT show up on my doorstep and give birth in my basement during the summer, and I'll be free to go to the DC show. <sigh!>

There will be a pen addict meet up Friday evening; a great opportunity to spend time visiting with vendors and with peers!

Yay! How do we find out more details about the meeting, and is it open to everyone/anyone?

yes he will. Texted with him last week.

Thanks for the confirmation on Mike-It-Work.

(Also, sorry for my repeated orders of various Sailor Bungbox inks this week. I simply could not wait until the DC pen show to have them. :( )

Current Wishlist:

Visconti, Visconti, and...more Visconti! (And some ST Duponts too). (Ok fine, getting on the Omas and Montblanc trains now too. Toot toot.) (And maybe on the Montegrappa one too, but only for the Miyas.)

Still rooms available at the Sheraton at the show rate as of July 17 - just booked mine for Fri and Sat. Last year's DC Supershow was my first pen show; loads of fun, if more than a little overwhelming for the first few hours. As others have noted, the website was a mess in 2014, but it didn't seem to affect the show itself.

I'm booked for Thursday/Friday. Plan to get there Thursday evening and spend all of Friday there.

Do you need to get a special weekend pass for access on Friday? I really wish the website would get updated faster, it's really difficult to get any information about the schedule of events. Their facebook page is equally as unhelpful.

Current Wishlist:

Visconti, Visconti, and...more Visconti! (And some ST Duponts too). (Ok fine, getting on the Omas and Montblanc trains now too. Toot toot.) (And maybe on the Montegrappa one too, but only for the Miyas.)

I'm booked for Thursday/Friday. Plan to get there Thursday evening and spend all of Friday there.

Do you need to get a special weekend pass for access on Friday? I really wish the website would get updated faster, it's really difficult to get any information about the schedule of events. Their facebook page is equally as unhelpful.

Go to this page:

http://pencentral.com/2015_exhibitorweekend_trader_registration

and send the form in to be a weekend trader. I think this includes admission on Saturday and Sunday. The web site is slowly getting updated.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Go to this page:

and send the form in to be a weekend trader. I think this includes admission on Saturday and Sunday. The web site is slowly getting updated.

The show is open to the public Saturday and Sunday, so if you want to attend before these days, you will need the weekend trader pass.

The show is open to the public Saturday and Sunday, so if you want to attend before these days, you will need the weekend trader pass.

So, if I want to go to the show on Friday, I need to send in $45 for the weekend trader pass? Is there anything on thursday?

Yay! How do we find out more details about the meeting, and is it open to everyone/anyone?

I would also like to know that. There's a possibility of me getting in on Friday (my regular rider can't make it this year and I'm trying to talk the philistine (er, darling husband) into going down with me (partly with the promise of the very nice hotel pool). He's even game on paying the day rate on Saturday and wandering in for an hour or so. I figure that if he meets a few people in a more controlled setting (as opposed to the crush on Saturday and Sunday) I can maybe coax him into being sociable.... And understanding.... (And since I just found out that the FPH special LE Pelicans are sold out, appreciative of my frugalness.... :lol:)

Mostly, though, it's that he doesn't want to have to get up at zero dark thirty to be on the road by 5 AM....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Go to this page:

I saw that, but it also says that traders get 1/2 a table. I don't need a table, I just want access on Friday. I'm assuming I can pay at the door, but it's not entirely clear how the process works.

Current Wishlist:

Yes, you can pay for a trader pass on Thursday or Friday at the door - no problem. I've done it before.

BTW, the hotel pool is very nice too - just don't drop some ink into it! :)

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

So, if I want to go to the show on Friday, I need to send in $45 for the weekend trader pass? Is there anything on thursday?

I actually have not been there on a Thursday but I understand the vendors are setting up and it's mellow, which gives you a chance to speak to them!

Yes, you can pay for a trader pass on Thursday or Friday at the door - no problem. I've done it before.

BTW, the hotel pool is very nice too - just don't drop some ink into it! :)

Erick

Good to know about getting the pass at the door! I didn't know we could. I went ahead and emailed with Bob Johnson.