• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmccarty3

• StrawberryJam

• inkstainedruth

• vannesspen

I got tired of waiting for the web site to be updated, and there's no news on the Facebook page, so I went ahead and sent in a check and an application to be a trader on Thursday and Friday. The application on the web site is dated 2011!

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

http://www.pencentral.com

Try the above site

That's the site I'm referring to. All the info after the 1st paragraph refers to previous years. The notice that the site will be updated "soon" has been there for months.

The website is, frankly, a disgrace. It makes me question my decision to attend the show, since it makes me wonder if an organization (or even individual) that can't even put up a website with basic information about a convention is capable of running that convention efficiently.

I certainly understand that people and groups can get swamped, especially this close to a show, but there are certain basic standards in the modern world, and a basic website with basic information is one of them. If they can't do it, I'm sure if they ask for help here (or on other FP boards) they could get some volunteers to help out. That would include me if they can't find anyone else and are willing to let me use SquareSpace to do it, but I'm sure there are plenty of people on FPN with web skills which exceed my own. ;)

MrThoth

Scribe, Master of Mystic Lore, Young Curmudgeon

Yea, the PR work going into the DC show has been minimal in recent years. I want to know if Mike Masuyama is going to be there, so I guess I'll just email him myself.

Dave

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

http://www.the-highw..._questions.html

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/blopplop/fpn-verm.jpg

Don't know about John Mottishaw, but I'm pretty sure Pendleton Brown was there the last two years. I think Mike-It-Work was there last year -- and I know he was there the year before because I had him work on an Estie nib (one that three other nib-repair people told me to just chuck out and replace).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Mike M was definitely there last year because he ground a BB Visconti nib I had into stubbed perfection !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This year I've a got a BB Pilot 823 nib I want to put into his hands to work his wonders with.

Man, does that guy know how to work on a nib. I Hope he's there.

Dave

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

http://www.the-highw..._questions.html

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/blopplop/fpn-verm.jpg

What I'd really like to know is which companies and dealers are planning to have tables/booths in the dealer's room.

MrThoth

I just finished making my plans to attend the show. I've never been to a pen show before. I'm really looking forward to this.

Looking forward to seeing you there. I'm going to put my FPN name on my name tag in hopes that people will recognize me, and I suggest that other FPNers will do the same.

Looking forward to seeing you there. I'm going to put my FPN name on my name tag in hopes that people will recognize me, and I suggest that other FPNers will do the same.

That's my plan as well. Also I wear my Thoth ring, which tends to be a good conversation starter if nothing else. ;)

MrThoth

Is that a Thoth ring, or are you just glad to see me? :lticaptd:

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

I think the name tags are only for people who are there for the entire weekend and/or have tables. Sadly, some of us can't be there for that long. I was actually kinda disappointed the first year I went and *didn't* get a name tag. Also, that I had to pay the day pass rate separately for Saturday and Sunday, rather than just paying for both days all at once.

When I went to Ohio Pen Show, I mostly only can go for Friday (last year I did Friday and then Saturday morning). At OPS, I did get name tags....

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

If there are any shows when FPN is going to have a table or some other kind of presence, here is an idea. Get some of those stick on tags, but have them say: MY FPN NAME IS. Then it would be very easy for us to recognize each other.

I sent the organizer a check for my weekend trader registration--we are supposed to get half a table Thursday and Friday. It has not been acknowledged and my check hasn't been cashed. I'm beginning to wonder if this show is actually going to take place.

If there are any shows when FPN is going to have a table or some other kind of presence, here is an idea. Get some of those stick on tags, but have them say: MY FPN NAME IS. Then it would be very easy for us to recognize each other.

I sent the organizer a check for my weekend trader registration--we are supposed to get half a table Thursday and Friday. It has not been acknowledged and my check hasn't been cashed. I'm beginning to wonder if this show is actually going to take place.

It might just take a while for the check to clear. I belong to an organization that has events pretty much every weekend, somewhere in the region where I live (and sometimes more than one). I almost never see checks clear until a month after they technically should. But I would drop a line to the organizers just the same to be sure.

I would really be bummed if DCSS doesn't happen -- this is likely one of the few times I will ever have it not partially conflict with my vacation schedule.

*Love* the idea of the "My FPN name is" tags.... Hey -- maybe they could be sold in the FPN store. I would particularly like something that would be reusable from show to show. :thumbup:

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

*Love* the idea of the "My FPN name is" tags.... Hey -- maybe they could be sold in the FPN store. I would particularly like something that would be reusable from show to show. :thumbup:

Now that is a really good idea! Perhaps an administrator will pass it along to Wim.

Bob usually does not cash the checks until the week of the show. (based on past few years experience)

Each year it feels like a total jumbled mess and then all falls into place just like every year before. Most everyone has the same table locations year after year and they all know what to do, where to be, and when to do it.

There will be about a dozen different people there that work on nibs and do repair work.

Advise to new attendees:

Plan for extra time. There really is more to see and do than one can reasonably do in a day.

Expect a big crowd and be patient. Sometimes walking down an isle can be grueling. Enjoy the slower pace and take in what is around you.

Ask questions and talk to the vendors. This is as much about education as it is about buying and selling. Even those of us with our heads down working on a client's pen will be happy to respond to you if you talk to us. We may have to keep our heads down but we certainly enjoy the questions and talking with new people.

A bottle of water can be a good idea to bring too. It can get hot in there with all the crowd and getting to the water fountains can take some time during peak hours.

Sometime parking can be a bear. I have seen years where you have to park a few blocks away.

Most important is to take it in and enjoy yourself.