Washington Dc Super Show 2015?

inky dinky

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any information about the Washington DC super show 2015 . Any official news yet?

-When? (official dates)

-Where? (what hotel/location)

Thanks,

Inky

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmccarty3

• StrawberryJam

• inkstainedruth

• vannesspen

• 2 weeks later...

No postcard in the mail as yet from the organizers. This is an anniversary event as I recollect.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

The dates are pretty locked at 6 - 9 Aug.

I heard somewhere he was looking at other venues, I assume for a little more space since its a little crowded.

I think if I had waited for the postcard last year, I wouldn't have gotten a hotel room in time. :( I think it came while I was on vacation (from which I went home a day early to pack for DCSS). The year before, I just squeaked in at the last minute for a hotel room at the show rate.

I'd love to be able to go for the entire weekend, but that's probably never going to happen -- the place I go camping has dates pretty much locked in as well, and I have to juggle my schedule a bit. And a lot of other shows I have similar types of scheduling conflicts with: for example, the odds of me ever getting to Long Island are "slim" and "none".

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 2 months later...

The dates are pretty locked at 6 - 9 Aug.

I heard somewhere he was looking at other venues, I assume for a little more space since its a little crowded.

The Show is the 13-16 of August. They are not looking for another venue, at least not this year. Bob runs the show and handed out fliers at the Atlanta show. I just booked our rooms at the show rate. Vanness will be there with lots of ink.

vanness1938@sbcglobal.net

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae327/VintagePen/vanness.jpg
Selling fountain pens, ink, paper & related items since 1938

• 3 weeks later...

I will be there! Who else is signed up already?

Current Wishlist:

Visconti, Visconti, and...more Visconti! (And some ST Duponts too). (Ok fine, getting on the Omas and Montblanc trains now too. Toot toot.) (And maybe on the Montegrappa one too, but only for the Miyas.)

I can't believe I didn't get into fountain pens until after I moved from the DC area.

Hello missed opportunity with the Baltimore, Philly, and DC show.

:(

Does anyone know which nibmeisters are normally at the DC show? I know Richard and Linda and Mike are pretty much a sure bet, and I am pretty sure Tim will be there as well (from when I talked to him at Baltimore). I know in the past, Mike-it-work and the guy from Sailor has been present (although I'm not sure if the Sailor guy was a one-time thing for 2014). Do Pendleton Brown and John Mottishaw usually attend as well?

(Trying to pre-plan my list early. And convince my husband that we need to maybe take Friday off work. Maybe.)

Current Wishlist:

Visconti, Visconti, and...more Visconti! (And some ST Duponts too). (Ok fine, getting on the Omas and Montblanc trains now too. Toot toot.) (And maybe on the Montegrappa one too, but only for the Miyas.)

Does anyone know which nibmeisters are normally at the DC show? I know Richard and Linda and Mike are pretty much a sure bet, and I am pretty sure Tim will be there as well (from when I talked to him at Baltimore). I know in the past, Mike-it-work and the guy from Sailor has been present (although I'm not sure if the Sailor guy was a one-time thing for 2014). Do Pendleton Brown and John Mottishaw usually attend as well?

(Trying to pre-plan my list early. And convince my husband that we need to maybe take Friday off work. Maybe.)

Don't know about John Mottishaw, but I'm pretty sure Pendleton Brown was there the last two years. I think Mike-It-Work was there last year -- and I know he was there the year before because I had him work on an Estie nib (one that three other nib-repair people told me to just chuck out and replace).

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I am trying to convince my dear husband that we need to be in DC.at that time this year.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Don't know about John Mottishaw, but I'm pretty sure Pendleton Brown was there the last two years. I think Mike-It-Work was there last year -- and I know he was there the year before because I had him work on an Estie nib (one that three other nib-repair people told me to just chuck out and replace).

I know Pendleton has stopped appearing at pen shows to work on nibs. He was not there last year and I was disappointed. He made an appearance at the Atlanta pen show this year, but it looked like it was just to say hello!

I don't believe John Mottishaw comes to the east coast, but last year Classic Fountain Pens did have a table with Nakayas and Sailors for testing.

Last year, I had a Sailor pen worked on by Mr Nagahara. Quite a treat! I don't know if they will be there again this year.

Edited by penultress

John Mottishaw attended the DC Show once in the last five, six years, but I think that he won't be attending since they seem to have hit on a format that works for them: have a few people present the pens at the show, and have John work on the nibs and ship out pens at the LA shop so that you can order a pen at the Show and it will be on its way to you. I think that's the way they "attended" both DC and the SF show last year.

Looking for an Omas Arco Verde...the one that got away.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to be there from Thursday afternoon on, but wish the organizers would come up with a schedule so I can plan other activities in the area. My son and his wife live very close by and I want to spend some time with them.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I'm definitely considering going, since for once it doesn't conflict with GenCon. I wish the website had more information, though. The show's three months away and the website tells you almost nothing aside from the dates, not even a way to register in advance online AFAICT. :(

I'd particularly like to see a schedule of events and dealer's room hours, since I have a lot of friends in the area and want to see as many of them as possible while I'm there. Probably also a few museums. ;)

Edited by MrThoth

MrThoth

Scribe, Master of Mystic Lore, Young Curmudgeon

I'd particularly like to see a schedule of events and dealer's room hours, since I have a lot of friends in the area and want to see as many of them as possible while I'm there. Probably also a few museums. ;)

Easy - just make your friends come to the pen show to see you. Then get them hooked on pens. :D

Current Wishlist:

• 2 weeks later...

There still is no detailed information on this year's show on the web site. I have emailed the organizer without any response.

Anyone know whether reservations have to be made for functions on Thursday and Friday? Or do you just show up and pay? It seems like the show is set up for those who buy tables, and for those who come for a day on Saturday or Sunday. I appear to fall in the middle, just wanting to do a small amount of selling or trading before the main show. I'd appreciate the advice to those who are experienced with this show.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

There still is no detailed information on this year's show on the web site. I have emailed the organizer without any response.

Anyone know whether reservations have to be made for functions on Thursday and Friday? Or do you just show up and pay? It seems like the show is set up for those who buy tables, and for those who come for a day on Saturday or Sunday. I appear to fall in the middle, just wanting to do a small amount of selling or trading before the main show. I'd appreciate the advice to those who are experienced with this show.

Sorry, no clue. I go down on Saturday morning and pay the day pass price for Saturday and Sunday. I was a little irritated the first year I went and couldn't pay for both days at the same time (it was my first pen show ever): I had to pay for Saturday on Saturday, but couldn't pay for Sunday at the same time.

Not being a vendor, I don't get access to all the get-togethers and such. Which reminds me, I really need to see about getting hotel reservations in relatively soon....