New "caiso" Bulkfiller Revealed !

fountainbel

Here's my question. I hope you still make the regular version of the Conid. I'm anxiously waiting for my slimline for an upcoming Journey. If I get into an airplane or in bad seas my thought was that I could leave aitken in the resivoir shut the ink off and not have an issue. Or I could drain it completely and (bleep) off the valve. While the auto shutoff is nice, as soon as it gets uncapped, if it's the wrong time won't you have the same pressure differential issues? I think this would be an awesome system if you could also manually seal it. From the pictures it doesn't look like that is an option. I don't have my pen just yet, but on my quest to find the "perfect" pen I think it's in the mail, the Conid ! Your obviously an engineering genious and the CAISO is a masterpiece of design I think it needs a pressure equalizing system to really complete the idea. Maybe in the cap or breather like the Parker 51 Aerometric. I love you guys, Werner gets my vote for man of the year, what a fantastic guy !

Shawn

I was actually using my Bulkfiller today and experienced exactly what you wrote. My daughter carried my cap off to the other side of the room and it was such a relief to just drain the secondary reservoir and close the valve without having to worry about clogging or spills. Open valve, hold pen nib down, and it was ready to write again... Edited by mongrelnomad

Too many pens; too little writing.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainbel

• glassjaw003

• Tojusi

• mongrelnomad

In any case, I'm so excited about my new bulk filler. Please watch the classifieds for some really nice pens for sale....... Can't wait to take it in my upcoming adventure. When I was in school I had ants in my pants, now termed ADHD, I found having a fountain pen gave me something mechanical tactile and interesting to focus on instead of just being bored to tears. I think the bulk filler design is over the top cool.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your friendly comments, much appreciated !

Given the responses CONID obtained, the CAISO kingsize L.E.will be made in natural transparent acrylic

Francis

Thank you all for your friendly comments, much appreciated !

Given the responses CONID obtained, the CAISO kingsize L.E.will be made in natural transparent acrylic

Francis

Woo hoo!

Francis: how will this be differentiated from the innevitable series production (non-LE) demonstrator Caiso?

Also, as asked above: will the Caiso have some valve shutoff override (for instance, if the pen should remain uncapped for a longer period)?

Edited by mongrelnomad

Woo hoo!

Francis: how will this be differentiated from the innevitable series production (non-LE) demonstrator Caiso?

Also, as asked above: will the Caiso have some valve shutoff override (for instance, if the pen should remain uncapped for a longer period)?

Hi mongrelnomad,

Given the higher manufacturing costs, the CAISO system will exclusively be installed on LE versions.

The FPR series Caiso will be engraved a such, so even if CONID should decide in a later stage to make another Caiso LE demonstrator, it will never be engraved and numbered as a being a "First Production Run".

Sorry, but I don't understand your second question, could you please clarify more detailed what you mean?

Francis

I was just wondering if there was a way to shut off the valve independently of the cap? I find the possibility of doing so on my Conids very useful...

I was just wondering if there was a way to shut off the valve independently of the cap? I find the possibility of doing so on my Conids very useful...

Hi Mongrel nomad,

I don't see a valuable reason to install two ink shut-off systems, but it could be done….

Drawback of the complementary filling knob actuated ink shut-off ( on a CAISO equipped pen ) being that you would still have to open the filling knob for longer writing sessions.

But the pen will not leak during air travel, even if you would forget to close the filling knob.

Francis

Francis

Hi fountain pen friends !
As promised in one of my earlier postings, below a few pictures of the new "CAISO" Kingsize Bulkfiller. (CAISO patent pending)
"CAISO" stands for Cap Actuated Ink Shut Off, meaning the main ink reservoir is completely closed when mounting the cap and opens automatically when removing the cap.
Benefit in comparison with a normal Bulk filler is that one does not open the filling knob for long writing sessions, nor close it afterwards before traveling.
This system will only be offered on the Kingsize Bulk filler, pen dimensions remain completely identical to a normal Kingsize;
I've tested my prototype intensively for 6 months, made gradually a few improvements, and now I'm fully convinced it will work perfectly.
This idea is basically not new ,Wahl Eversharp has made the first version of an ink closing valve activated by the mounting of the cap in1936.

Unfortunately this system proved not to be very efficient, as the folded closing cone seat easily deformed
Avoiding this problem and eliminating any bending moment I've provided a guiding bore for the closing plunger centrally in the feed, making the closing force purely axially.
The CAISO system will firstly be installed on a new LE Kingsize, which will be made in a series of 50 numbered pens in occasion of the publication centenary of "Einsteins general relativity theory" in 1915
Conid plans availability as from July 2015
Shortly later the CAISO system will also become available on on the normal Kingsize versions, including on a demonstrator.
And yes, the Bulk Filler...... a never ending story !
Kind regards, Francis

Francis and Werner, this will be a most welcome addition and continues your leap forward in technology! I can only hope that you will have the kingsize demonstrator first :)

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

I think both systems have their merits depending on what you do. It's like choosing a manual or automatic. Both good in their own ways. I hope they just offer it both ways.

Hi mongrelnomad,

Given the higher manufacturing costs, the CAISO system will exclusively be installed on LE versions.

The FPR series Caiso will be engraved a such, so even if CONID should decide in a later stage to make another Caiso LE demonstrator, it will never be engraved and numbered as a being a "First Production Run".

Sorry, but I don't understand your second question, could you please clarify more detailed what you mean?

Francis

Does this mean that Conid has abandoned the earlier plans to have it available as an upgrade on the regular production Kingsize Bulkfillers after the Limited Edition pen is sold out?

Hi Francis

I too would welcome some clarification on what the possibilities are for a CAISO Kingsize Bulkfiller in 2015.

So far you have recently suggested that CAISO will be reserved for LE Kingsize Bulkfillers. Is that right, CAISO will be reserved for LEs only?

You have also mentioned two LEs in 2015:

- The FPR in clear acrylic

- The LE to commemorate Einstein's General Relativity papers

Are these two different LEs or one and the same?

I ask because I am interested in a CAISO Kingsize Bulkfiller, but I would not get one in clear acrylic (I just don't like that material). So I am wondering whether I will have to wait until 2016.

Thank you for any light you can shed on this.

David.

I would love to get a CAISO Kingsize in that green striated ebonite that you posted in the recent prototype thread. That'd make a killer LE, in my opinion.

Hi Francis

I too would welcome some clarification on what the possibilities are for a CAISO Kingsize Bulkfiller in 2015.

So far you have recently suggested that CAISO will be reserved for LE Kingsize Bulkfillers. Is that right, CAISO will be reserved for LEs only?

You have also mentioned two LEs in 2015:

- The FPR in clear acrylic

- The LE to commemorate Einstein's General Relativity papers

Are these two different LEs or one and the same?

I ask because I am interested in a CAISO Kingsize Bulkfiller, but I would not get one in clear acrylic (I just don't like that material). So I am wondering whether I will have to wait until 2016.

Thank you for any light you can shed on this.

David.

In addition to the questions posed by David - when will the purchase period start, and when will the pricing be revealed?

Hi all,

Thanks for your reactions and rightful questions,

I've contacted Werner and copied him your questions.

Note Werner also runs a machine design office and a machine shop - KOMEC - with 55 workers

Knowing Werner is extremely busy since several meetings with his major machine building customers are coming on.

I'll post his reply as soon as I have his reaction.

FYI, attached a link of the KOMEC company : http://www.komec.be

Francis

IMHO, it would be shame to hide such an ingenious mechanism behind opaque to even transluscent meterial, however beautiful it is. A full fledged long lasting (hard to scratch) brillantly transperant barrel for me please. A super duper unobtainum Conid would be a barrel made of artificial Sapphire :wub: that hopefully my next generation can still use and appriciate the innovative-mechanism. This is from a guy who loves his Stainless Steel lamy to death :P :rolleyes: so take it with a pinch of salt. But if some day this is made in brushed Stainless Steel and an O3B or a xxf-3B-flex, count me in; my Lamy needs company.

On another note, again IMHO an LE is bit of an antithesis to an pen/company that I look up to as an innovation pioneer, you guys don't need LEs or have to wax eloquent about tradition, history, exotic materials, diamonds and gold and other non-functional embellishments. I see conid's selling themself on the pillars of innovation, technology and engineering! I don't have a LE hammer nor a LE microscope, so no sitting-pretty-in-the-box-LE pens for me. I know, I know... I'll get my coat -_- . BTW Einstein's GTR is'nt LE either ;) . Reminds of a famous German pen company who made an super expensive LE pen and dedicated it to "Mahatma Gandhi" the irony couldn't be starker.

(And if some space can be found for us tactile aesthetes with our love of beauty and exquisite materials, all the better. 😉)

Hi Danceoflight,

Thanks for your kind reaction, much appreciated !

I understand your point on LE versions, on most top-line brands LE's all mechanical aspects of the pen remain identical to the basic version.

The shape of the pen is mostly changed, exclusive material's are used, gold furniture is added and even precious stones are installed.

This makes these pen look "jewel like" and attractive to people who like exclusive "eye catching" pens.

The CAISO however will not offer any extra "bling bling" features, but - compared to the basic Kingsize version - offers technical advantages and user comfort

The only reason why Conid decided to restrict the CAISO on the Kingsize L.E's is the fact the precision system is not easy to make, hence ....expensive.

Fabrication cost for a CAISO Kingsize Bulkfiller will surely be 40% higher compared to a normal Kingsize.

This means the basic price for an acrylic or HR CAISO Kingsize would end in the $ 1000 range - nib not included - and when exclusive materials such as celluloid are used, price will logically be higher.

This is a serious additional cost, which only a minority of people will be prepared to pay , so offering it only as an LE version looks an appropriate approach.

Conid’s prices are material and manufacturing cost related and will be communicated after FPR production on their website www.conidpen.com .

Note CONID will not offer the pen in an expensive luxury box, but use their exclusive standard "home made" black anodized aluminum box.

Hope this answers your rightful questions.

Francis

IMHO, it would be shame to hide such an ingenious mechanism behind opaque to even transluscent meterial, however beautiful it is. A full fledged long lasting (hard to scratch) brillantly transperant barrel for me please. A super duper unobtainum Conid would be a barrel made of artificial Sapphire :wub: that hopefully my next generation can still use and appriciate the innovative-mechanism. This is from a guy who loves his Stainless Steel lamy to death :P :rolleyes: so take it with a pinch of salt. But if some day this is made in brushed Stainless Steel and an O3B or a xxf-3B-flex, count me in; my Lamy needs company.

On another note, again IMHO an LE is bit of an antithesis to an pen/company that I look up to as an innovation pioneer, you guys don't need LEs or have to wax eloquent about tradition, history, exotic materials, diamonds and gold and other non-functional embellishments. I see conid's selling themself on the pillars of innovation, technology and engineering! I don't have a LE hammer nor a LE microscope, so no sitting-pretty-in-the-box-LE pens for me. I know, I know... I'll get my coat -_- . BTW Einstein's GTR is'nt LE either ;) . Reminds of a famous German pen company who made an super expensive LE pen and dedicated it to "Mahatma Gandhi" the irony couldn't be starker.