New "caiso" Bulkfiller Revealed !

fountainbel

Yes they are shipping now. The pair below got shipped today! Very anxiously awaiting arrival!

fpn_1470086997__caiso.jpg

In use today: MB LeGrand Pettit Prince and Aviator, Pelikan M100N, Conid First Production Run demonstrator.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainbel

• glassjaw003

• Tojusi

• mongrelnomad

Yes they are shipping now. The pair below got shipped today! Very anxiously awaiting arrival!

fpn_1470086997__caiso.jpg

Are those pen stands the gift that is being sent with the CAISO? If so, they look very cool

Are those pen stands the gift that is being sent with the CAISO? If so, they look very cool

Yes, thanking you all for your patience, CONID effectively included the pen stands as a gift !

Francis the

Yeah!!!

I received a Streamline CAISO Bulkfiller today in the mail!! I spent a lot of time going over all the pieces that accompany the pen, as well as experimenting with the way the pen works. The packaging is very modern and useful. The machining of the parts is great; I can see why everyone that reviews Conid pens comments warmly about the fit and finish. The engraving on the titanium is precise and very sharp looking.

One item of interest that I haven't heard mentioned: If you leave the piston at the front of the barrel and put the cap on, and then pull the piston back to lock it in place, it will be pulled forward to the front because of the seal created and the vacuum as you pull the piston. That speaks volumes to the fit of all the parts and the way the pen seals for traveling!

I hope to get a review done this weekend, if not sooner!

Great job Werner, Francis and team! The pen stand is a great bonus and works very well with the pen!

I have created that vacuum twice by accident when filling the pen, I don't know how really. The only way to get rid of the vacuum is to cap the pen.

For what it's worth, my pen currently has the "not finalized, not perfected feed" from May 2016 and not the feed that is shipping now.

Yeah!!!

I received a Streamline CAISO Bulkfiller today in the mail!! I spent a lot of time going over all the pieces that accompany the pen, as well as experimenting with the way the pen works. The packaging is very modern and useful. The machining of the parts is great; I can see why everyone that reviews Conid pens comments warmly about the fit and finish. The engraving on the titanium is precise and very sharp looking.

One item of interest that I haven't heard mentioned: If you leave the piston at the front of the barrel and put the cap on, and then pull the piston back to lock it in place, it will be pulled forward to the front because of the seal created and the vacuum as you pull the piston. That speaks volumes to the fit of all the parts and the way the pen seals for traveling!

I hope to get a review done this weekend, if not sooner!

Great job Werner, Francis and team! The pen stand is a great bonus and works very well with the pen!

Hi Brad,

Glad reading you are happy with your CAISO !

The test you did : leaving the piston at the front, capping the pen and then pulling the rod out is in fact the test CONID performs to check the sealing efficiency .

And just as you've experienced : the vacuum created should pull the piston and rod back in, proving the cap actuated ink shut off works perfectly.

Wishing you lots of writing pleasure with your CAISO Bulkfiller !

Francis

I have created that vacuum twice by accident when filling the pen, I don't know how really. The only way to get rid of the vacuum is to cap the pen.

For what it's worth, my pen currently has the "not finalized, not perfected feed" from May 2016 and not the feed that is shipping now.

Hi Toni,

You have one of the "beta tester" pens on which - as we experienced - the vacuum created during filling may occasionally pull the shut-off plunger on its closure seat. In this situation one can't fill the pen properly.

Johan is already aware of your problem, he will contact you shortly and send you the necessary replacement parts.

Sorry for the inconvenience we caused…..

francis

Hi fountain pen friends !
Just received the following message from Conid :
Although a few pre-series CAISO Kingsize Bulkfillers will be presented at the London pen show, the CAISO Bulkfillers will not be available for sale at the show.
The CAISO Kingsize Bulkfiller demonstrator will only become available mid October 2015.
Francis

Thanks for the update, Francis.

That is quite disappointing, though of course understandable. Still, at least I'll be able to hold one and get a feel for it in person.

Edited to add: will you be taking orders and payment at the show, for subsequent delivery?

Edited by stephanos

Thanks for the update, Francis.

That is quite disappointing, though of course understandable. Still, at least I'll be able to hold one and get a feel for it in person.

Hi Stephanos,

It looks your are referring to a posting of mine dating from September 30 2015 !

I do expect the FPR CAISO Kingsize demonstrator will be available at the London pen show 2016, at least if the pens are not all sold in the meantime !

Francis

Just found out I will have to be in Greece during the London show. I was so looking forward to seeing the CAISO in person...

Too many pens; too little writing.

Hi Stephanos,

It looks your are referring to a posting of mine dating from September 30 2015 !

I do expect the FPR CAISO Kingsize demonstrator will be available at the London pen show 2016, at least if the pens are not all sold in the meantime !

Francis

Ah! So much the better.

Thanks, Francis

Hi Stephanos,

Francis

So looking forward to seeing your pens again this year. I am determined to make a CONID purchase this year (I bought non CONIDs the last 2 times!).

I recently took delivery of a Minimalistica and a Kingsize Demonstrator, Caiso version.

The first is excellent, the latter is, I think, as good as it can get.

They are expensive, but offer as close to perfection as seems possible.

I am more than delighted, and would be surprised if you thought otherwise!

Over the years I have purchased a larger number of pens than was probably sensible, these

are the only two I have no regrets about.

When I want to remove the cap from my Caiso pen, I pull and twist simultaneously. I am grateful for my pen and I enjoy writing with it. I wonder how other Caiso owners remove the caps from their pens ?

Edited by Blorgy

When I want to remove the cap from my Caiso pen, I pull and twist simultaneously. I am grateful for my pen and I enjoy writing with it. I wonder how other Caiso owners remove the caps from their pens ?

Hi Blorgy,

Glad to read you are happy with your FPR Kingsize CAISO demonstrator!

As for uncapping : Simply unscrew and once unscrewed just pull the cap off.

Francis

I received my CAISO pen today and it looks great but there are some issues. The piston mechanism was hard to actuate and was giving a lot of feedback so I figured that it needed some silicon grease (something FPGeeks touched on in their old Bulkfiller review). I started to use the Conid key to unscrew the piston (as per the sbrebrown disassembly video) but found that it was hard to turn. Not wanting to force anything I wondered if unscrewing the section first would allow the piston to be unscrewed more easily...

I removed the section and was instantly hit in the face with the very heavy smell of whisky (whiskey? another topic maybe.) and some caramel colored gunk on the threads on the nib section. This is correlated with an amber color that I can see on the threads that connect the "neck" of the barrel with the main body of the barrel. Those I haven't attempted to remove for cleaning yet. I don't exactly know how to approach this, the piston still is really tight and I don't want to force it to open and damage anything with the metal Conid key. I can post pictures if anyone is interested but this is a first for me. The cap band also had some black stuff in the crevices around it but that cleaned up easily.

This is my first time spending more than $250 on a pen so maybe I was expecting super high standards but this situation seems a little odd. The smell of whisky is strong enough that I think I can safely compare it to a Noodler's pen right out of the box. Has anyone else seen anything similar?

EDIT: I have been cleaning it from the nib section threads because the nib section wasn't smoothly screwing back on while the brownish crud was on there. Maybe Conid used some sort of shellac or something on the threads of the pen that I was unaware about? I am going to send them an email with pictures asking about it.

Edited by DGH_Nomad

I received my CAISO pen today and it looks great but there are some issues. The piston mechanism was hard to actuate and was giving a lot of feedback so I figured that it needed some silicon grease (something FPGeeks touched on in their old Bulkfiller review). I started to use the Conid key to unscrew the piston (as per the sbrebrown disassembly video) but found that it was hard to turn. Not wanting to force anything I wondered if unscrewing the section first would allow the piston to be unscrewed more easily...

I removed the section and was instantly hit in the face with the very heavy smell of whisky (whiskey? another topic maybe.) and some caramel colored gunk on the threads on the nib section. This is correlated with an amber color that I can see on the threads that connect the "neck" of the barrel with the main body of the barrel. Those I haven't attempted to remove for cleaning yet. I don't exactly know how to approach this, the piston still is really tight and I don't want to force it to open and damage anything with the metal Conid key. I can post pictures if anyone is interested but this is a first for me. The cap band also had some black stuff in the crevices around it but that cleaned up easily.

This is my first time spending more than $250 on a pen so maybe I was expecting super high standards but this situation seems a little odd. The smell of whisky is strong enough that I think I can safely compare it to a Noodler's pen right out of the box. Has anyone else seen anything similar?

EDIT: I have been cleaning it from the nib section threads because the nib section wasn't smoothly screwing back on while the brownish crud was on there. Maybe Conid used some sort of shellac or something on the threads of the pen that I was unaware about? I am going to send them an email with pictures asking about it.

Hi Mongrelnomad,

Sorry reading of the problem with the stiff moving piston you've encountered.

The section is effectively sealed on the ink window with shellack, which is also used for sealing the ink window threads in the barrel. This implies applying some heat is recommended before disassembling these.

But normally there is no need at all to disassemble these shellack sealed joints.

Shellack being a solution of shellack flakes an denatured alcohol, the "whiskey like" smell is kind of normal .

As for the hard moving piston mechanism, the only way to access the piston is by unscrewing the piston unit act the back of the barrel.

The thread fit of the barrel enclosure flange is not sealed but only screwed down firmly and should screw out easily - turning counterclockwise - after applying the neccessary loosening "break away" torque.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Francis

I think Francis touched on this a bit, but I think I could input a little more.

You seemed to have skipped over the part of the pen that can come apart, and instead went for the part that cannot. Unlike the previous Conid pens, the section of this pen should not be unscrewed. It was shellacked into place. I am actually not sure how you took yours apart without breaking anything. The smell you got is probably of the shellack.

Please do post pictures.

Also, it should be safe to remove the bulkfiller mechanism from the pen. Just make sure you are unscrew it the right way, otherwise it will feel like it is taking a lot of force (because you are actually tightening it). The reason why the mechanism is not smooth is most likely due to the time since the mechanism was last used (they pens have been fully assembled, besides the feed, for a while) or climate changes during shipping.

Edited by glassjaw003

I live in the greatest country in the world....Texas