What Is Your Best Frankenpen?

beboy

This one. Of course, it's the only Frankenpen I have. Dubbed the Mysterioso Pen (brownie points for anyone who gets the reference), it's an unknown shell, fitted with an Esterbrook section, and then further adapted with a Jowo #5 nib (off a Newton Pen) in the feed and collar. It's one of my favorite pens, writes wonderfully smooth, and is nicely balanced.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b170/gweimer/Mysterioso_Pen_1_zps828c6d53.jpg

The punk band, the comicbook character - I have the action figure - the WWF wrestler, the piece of music or the cigar?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• beboy

• Bklyn

• bui501

• Cob

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The punk band, the comicbook character - I have the action figure - the WWF wrestler, the piece of music or the cigar?

None of the above.... but music is part of it.

My two favorites that get a lot of use are a Noodler's Nib Creaper in Truk Lagoon with a vintage 14k gold #2 wet-noodle nib, and my everyday pen that's a combination of all Parker parts--black Challenger barrel and cap, Vacumatic EF nib, blue/silver/black Striped Duofold blind cap. The only (mostly) black pen that I will ever love. ;)

When I feel like doing some calligraphy or drawing, I bust out my modified Noodler's Ahab with a Zebra G dip nib.

...I just might be a tinkerer.

Brian Gray made me an Edison Morgan using a Sheaffer Tucky Triumph nib section just over two years ago. I showed it off in this thread.

It is a great pen. It has been in rotation (as it is currently) more often than it hasn't, but it started to bug me that I couldn't easily tell which end was the cap and which the barrel. Therefore, recently, I glued a tiny doorknob plate (in its previous life, a dangly earring) to the cap, so now it's easy to discern the cap and the tiny doorknob acts as a rolling stopper. I've been intending to upload a photo, and eventually I'll get around to it.

Also recently, I started referring to it as an EdiSheafferson (instead of Edison Morgan Triumph, which left out the Sheaffer part).

Currently, it's inked with KWZ etherX Blue (aka Blue #3), a perfect match.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I have just built a new Frankenpen. Frustrated because I have a pile of Blackbird bits and can never find the right clip, I built this one: it's 100% Mabie Todd (apart from the silicone sac) I am very pleased with it. Ink is Diamine's Sherwood Green.

Cob

fpn_1423434914__frankenpen.jpg

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

Three way tie? I have a pair of Sheaffer 14k inlaid stubs, one of which was bought as section only, the other as a desk pen sans base. Both occupy Ranga/PSP 4CS ebonite bodies. The third is a stub from Greg Minuskin sold as a 51. The filler shows it as a Special with a Special cap, but the cap jewel has been replaced by a standard grey 51 jewel &, of course, what was most likely an Octanium nib has been replaced by the gold stub.

I have two ´best´ frankenpens, and each one is great for a different reason.

The top one is my 1943 Vac Major, which originally had a fine nail nib. I put a feed and section from a Duovac and a twotone medium semiflex nib from a 1940? Vac desk pen in it, and now it never leaves the house. I can see myself writing checks with lots of zeroes on them every time I pick it up. ;)

The second pen is a Southern Pen Co. combo pen from the late 1930´s, with a fresh resac, a new 1.1mm pencil lead and a fine Sheaffer #3 nib replacing the original broken nib.

I couldn´t help it... it was literally going into a garbage can at a local antique store when I got it and in a way I sorta felt sorry for it. Besides, I have a weakness for ¨Monday morning¨ pens, and it´s great for quick notes too.

ken

post-94322-0-36461300-1423540979_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This one was not cheap, but it is my favorite in my collection: An unbranded Tibaldi Impero body fitted with a vintage Omas 557 nib and ebonite feed -- a deliciously wet and flexible combination.

post-62481-0-75602500-1424808376_thumb.jpg

post-62481-0-58029200-1424808389_thumb.jpg

post-62481-0-40222300-1424808397_thumb.jpg

If anybody out there has heard of Tom Westerich of Penboard.de, he is a kind man -- generous with his time and knowledge. I spent a day learning from him to repair some of my pens. Near the end of the day, he showed me a collection of unbranded Tibaldi Impero bodies that he had come across years earlier. I fell in love with the celluloid, so he fitted one of my 1940's Omas nibs on the body for me. I later changed the vintage nib to another Omas nib -- this one a two-tone, 14K nib from a 557. Very flexible, but much more controllable than the wet noodle Tom had originally fit on the pen for me.

Although not a wet noodle, the nib is very flexible. It took a body with as huge an ink capacity as this Tibaldi Impero body to keep up with the nib and ebonite feed combination: I have to refill it once a week just to keep up with it. Here's a short writing sample:

post-62481-0-85413500-1424809679_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vinh

Sent from my Cray; drafted with my vintage 1950s Omas Extra.

This one was not cheap, but it is my favorite in my collection: An unbranded Tibaldi Impero body fitted with a vintage Omas 557 nib and ebonite feed -- a deliciously wet and flexible combination.

attachicon.gifTibaldi Impero 1.JPG

attachicon.gifTibaldi Impero 2.JPG

attachicon.gifTibaldi Impero 3.JPG

If anybody out there has heard of Tom Westerich of Penboard.de, he is a kind man -- generous with his time and knowledge. I spent a day learning from him to repair some of my pens. Near the end of the day, he showed me a collection of unbranded Tibaldi Impero bodies that he had come across years earlier. I fell in love with the celluloid, so he fitted one of my 1940's Omas nibs on the body for me. I later changed the vintage nib to another Omas nib -- this one a two-tone, 14K nib from a 557. Very flexible, but much more controllable than the wet noodle Tom had originally fit on the pen for me.

Although not a wet noodle, the nib is very flexible. It took a body with as huge an ink capacity as this Tibaldi Impero body to keep up with the nib and ebonite feed combination: I have to refill it once a week just to keep up with it. Here's a short writing sample:

attachicon.gifTibaldi Impero 4.JPG

Omas nibs are just so gorgeous. I wonder if they would fit on Parker's models; they would really fit with that arrow.

Omas nibs are just so gorgeous. I wonder if they would fit on Parker's models; they would really fit with that arrow.

Omas made nibs in several sizes -- the one that I put on the Tibaldi was from their largest pen at the time it was manufactured. (The pen it came from was over 14cm long capped and almost 1.5cm in diameter.) But I also have some of their vintage nibs from "dama" size pens (11 cm and smaller) and medium size pens (around 13 to 13.5 cm).

I'm a big fan of their nibs -- the older ones are a joy to write with.

Brian Gray made me an Edison Morgan using a Sheaffer Tucky Triumph nib section just over two years ago. I showed it off in this thread.

It is a great pen. It has been in rotation (as it is currently) more often than it hasn't, but it started to bug me that I couldn't easily tell which end was the cap and which the barrel. Therefore, recently, I glued a tiny doorknob plate (in its previous life, a dangly earring) to the cap, so now it's easy to discern the cap and the tiny doorknob acts as a rolling stopper. I've been intending to upload a photo, and eventually I'll get around to it.

Also recently, I started referring to it as an EdiSheafferson (instead of Edison Morgan Triumph, which left out the Sheaffer part).

Currently, it's inked with KWZ etherX Blue (aka Blue #3), a perfect match.

Ooh... Now you've got me looking at Edison Pens... I have some vintage omas nibs that are waiting for worthy bodies to go with them...

A Pilot "best in the world" flexible nib attached to an old platignum pen. I either bought it broken for the nib a couple of years back, or I broke the section trying to get it out, probably the latter :P

I have a new Frankenpen that I put together yesterday. Parker 51 demi aero with a Forest Green hood and a Navy Grey barrel. The cap was taken from a P.O.S. fake Hero 616 (yes, a fake of an existing clone.. go figure), which fit perfectly.You can even feel it give that nice snug "semi-click that isn't a click" over the clutch ring. Quite lucky I had it laying around! The nib I suspect is a gold plated Hero 616 nib, but the listing on eBay merely called it a #H51 nib.

Someday I will get it a legitimate Parker nib and cap. But it's been fun to build and writes a smooth fine line.

I've got a m600 nib on a 400nn body when I need to scribble notes! Huge ink capacity with the smoothness from the modern nib.