In Search Of Red....

Alexcat

Im in search of red which looks as red as it is when you see a drop on a tissue....just tried Momiji Irshizuku; it looked perfect on a tissue, but disappointed when writing. I want one which looks like fresh blood( I know hat a horrible description tht is, but it's the only way I can think to describe it: a dep, blood red, but without the blue crimson overtones. I've got several reds but have yet to find the shade I want. id prefer nt to start trying to mix anything, as I get messy enough just filling....and am still looking.....any suggestions?

Thanks

Alex

"As many nights endure Without a moon or star So will we endure When one is gone and far "Leonard Cohen, of blessed memory(21/09/1934-7/11/2016)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alexcat

• senzen

• HalloweenHJB

• sidthecat

Im in search of red which looks as red as it is when you see a drop on a tissue....just tried Momiji Irshizuku; it looked perfect on a tissue, but disappointed when writing. I want one which looks like fresh blood( I know hat a horrible description tht is, but it's the only way I can think to describe it: a dep, blood red, but without the blue crimson overtones. I've got several reds but have yet to find the shade I want. id prefer nt to start trying to mix anything, as I get messy enough just filling....and am still looking.....any suggestions?

Thanks

Alex

Interesting. One ink that I tested, Red Cashmere, does seem to have the color you describe. Another, from the Netherlands, Akkerman "Rood Haags Pluche" might be close:

fpn_1420393075__rood_haags_pluche-hjb.jp

I like the old Waterman Red (haven't tried the newer stuff, I was stocked up on the old.) The next closest I even used was Noodler's Nakita. Nice deep, bloody (wet bloody) red.

Fair winds and following seas.

I was also going to suggest Rood Haags Pluche. It's the closest thing I have to what I would call a "true" red (many going either pinkish or orangish, or are dark enough to be considered burgundy).

Another one to have a look at is Diamine Matador -- it's a little darker than the Akkerman (I don't have the other other Akkerman reds, so I can't compare) and possibly the "bright blood red" you're looking for.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Have you looked at Diamine Red Dragon? I consider it to best mimic well oxygenated blood streaming from a fresh cut. And it seems to retain that color. You'll want Oxblood for the dried version similar to the drops on the floor around the place of injury an hour or so later.

Lots of lovely suggestions.....many thanks to all....

Alex

"As many nights endure Without a moon or star So will we endure When one is gone and far "Leonard Cohen, of blessed memory(21/09/1934-7/11/2016)

These Noodlers colours look so much like the shade I want(though Widow Maker is a bit of a wince-inducing name....I was widowed last May)....are there any UK sources?

Alex

Just noticed....I am not only Mint, but also Gold :)

When/how do these things happen? I was rather fond of 'new old stock'....it had a certain something to it...

Alex

1. Montblanc Cornpoppy Red (and it's easy to clean out, too)

2. Sheaffer Skrip Red (Slovenia) is good on color, but I don't think it's as lubricious.

J. Herbin 1670 Rouge Hematite has a superb red base, but it isn't just red. When it dries there is a brownish sheen that comes out to varying degrees. As a pure red, I think it would be a disappointment. As a complex ink with a true red base, it's fantastic.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

Lubricious....definitely word of the day.....thanks for the suggestions. There was a mention of 'red cashmere' but I think this was a personal or private mix?

Alex

Cashmere red is actually Susemai, the SUper SEcret MAnufacturer of Ink.. Susemai is actually blackstone, and Cashmere was their third iteration of powdered ink forwarded to Amberlea Davis for test marketing. The first iteration was Amber, the second Balls, the fourth iteration Diamond, and the fifth will be Elegant.

As for Noodler's, there are several threads here discussing UK suppliers. I don't pay a lot of attention because it isn't an issue for me.

As for the title and membership level, those changed with the number of posts. You can edit your profile back to NOS if you like.

Edited by Arkanabar

Try the Noodler's by all means. Habanero, Cayenne, and Antietam are my choices for what you are asking.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Just got a bunch of samples (including Widow maker) from a chap Ive bought from before. So, Im happy with that :)

Thanks for all the suggestions. You are a lovely bunch.

Alex

+1 to Red Dragon.

Trust me. I'm a doctor. :lol:

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.