The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

"blue Merle" - Organics Studio Masters Of Writing Volume No. 9 Ernest's Vintage Writing Fluid

organics studio blue merle

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Michael R.

Michael R.

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,377 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:52

P1240999a.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Blue Merle is a recreation of a vintage Carter's ink. The color is somewhere in between a dark grey and dark blue. It has more blue tones compared to a typical gray ink but also it is less blue compared to most blue-black inks. So far this ink has proven to write very well with good ink flow and has a nice antique look.

BlueMerle.jpg

Blue Merle shows a little bit of shading, depending on the ink flow of the used pen. Since there is no true look-alike ink available this unique ink could become a highly sought after ink - especially after Tyler Thompson announced to stop producing ink for the moment in September 2014. Luckily another announcement was made in January 2015 that production of few selected inks might continue.

BlueBlack.jpg

Edited by Michael R., 25 January 2015 - 10:56.

Sponsored Content

#2 Tas

Tas

Graphophile . . .

• Member - Gold

• 4,950 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 January 2015 - 12:06

A beautiful ink, one of my faves. Must be one of yours too judging from the three boxes.

I'm delighted that it's being made again so I won't be wasting any more ink on trying to mix up a match to replace it's absence  :mellow:

Your comparison page is art to my eyes, gorgeous colours.

Thank you.

#3 Michael R.

Michael R.

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,377 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 January 2015 - 12:25

Thanks for your kind words!

I was able to get one bottle at the end of last year; the "three" boxes is just the the result of my scanner and photoshop :P

Have you been able to find one for yourself?

Cheers

Michael

Edited by Michael R., 25 January 2015 - 12:29.

#4 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 January 2015 - 12:42

I'm a big fan of your reviews. Thank you for this one!

Yesterday I was cleaning some of my pens and discovered that after five months the ink (Blue Merle) evaporated and created some kind of nib crud.

kcUsyQ.jpg

I believe though that after such a long time it's acceptable. I remember the flow was great and I really liked this ink. 

#5 PS104

PS104

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 05:33

Thanks for starting off your review with that beautiful snowscape. It set just the right tone. And for the comparison with other inks. I always appreciate some comparisons of other inks in the same color range.

I was fortunate to get a bottle of it before OS went defunct. Wish I had gotten more. Me and several hundred fans

#6 EclecticCollector

EclecticCollector

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:17

I was fortunate to get a bottle of it before OS went defunct. Wish I had gotten more. Me and several hundred fans

You will be pleased to hear that Tyler is expecting to restart OS in a limited capacity soon, and that Blue Merle will be one of the few inks returning to production. :)

#7 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,391 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:56

You will be pleased to hear that Tyler is expecting to restart OS in a limited capacity soon, and that Blue Merle will be one of the few inks returning to production. :)

That's very good news.  I had tried some of the OS inks about a year and a half ago, and Blue Merle was just a lovely color.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#8 Davros

Davros

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 15:29

I really liked my sample, but was trying to cut back on ink, and waited just a bit too long. I'll be happy to see it again.

Edited by Davros, 27 January 2015 - 15:30.

#9 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,730 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2015 - 15:01

I received a bottle of Blue Merle ink from an Australian ink supplier who'd been considering stocking some of the Organics Studio range, before production ceased.  

[For context: I ordered a different ink from this supplier's website, which he didn't have in stock.  Instead of refunding the money, he kindly sent me this and some other ink that he no longer had a use for!]

This review made me suspicious that 'Blue Merle' was a bit of a misnomer - I know the box says it's a "medium saturation blue-black ink", but in the above scans it really didn't look very blue to me!  Having just inked up my Pilot Vanishing Point from my bottle and had a bit of a scribble, what I'm seeing looks much more grey to me than blue-black.  In fact, I'm struggling to see any blue in it at all!   :unsure:

I'm happy to give the ink a run, and see if the colour grows on me - it certainly seems to flow very nicely, just curious whether this is the experience of others who've tried it?

#10 white_lotus

white_lotus

Caution: Absinthe Distiller with Ink

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 2,644 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2015 - 15:36

Blue Merle is the name for a kind of dog. The ink is a perfect match for that color.

#11 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,730 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2015 - 22:31

Thanks, that makes more sense! According to the Google search I did, a blue merle dog has grey splotches of fur (the merle), and black spots. Just a little odd, then, that it's described on the box as blue-black! Never mind, still a decent colour, definitely has a place in my collection - might even whack up a review on FPN if I get the time...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: organics studio, blue merle

Sponsored Content

|