The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

New Pocket Clip For Old Push Pencil

esterbrook repair pencil

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Autopoint

Autopoint

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:24

PPdonesm1.jpg

Now after an hour’s pleasant and satisfying effort I have a completely correct - appearance wise, fully functional dark green “Fourth Generation Type J Transitional Push Pencil” that uses .046" lead.  It’s no belle of the ball since it does have a few deep teeth marks, but I covered up most of those by judiciously positioning the pocket clip.  It now clips firmly to my shirt, and I’ll certainly enjoy carrying it.  I inserted just one stick of very soft .046" lead (so it won’t get jammed again), and the lead is so soft that it feels like you’re “painting” the page as you write.

- - - Jim

Collector of Autopoint + Realite + Realpoint, and Esterbrook accumulator

Sponsored Content

#22 Autopoint

Autopoint

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:25

Comment: For “click click” pencils, I don’t utilize the lead reservoir as designed, nor the automatic feed from the reservoir feature of these type pencils.  Too many times the lead either fails to feed at all, or jams in the exit passage of the lead reservoir.  I’ve found that a better way to guarantee proper functioning is to seal the bottom end/exit of the lead reservoir with a piece of tape or some kleenex, so that the lead in the reservoir can’t travel down into the “click click” mechanism.  When necessary to refill the pencil with lead, I simply remove the eraser, take a piece of lead out of the reservoir, and manually push it up into the writing tip, while compressing the tip mechanism to allow the lead to enter the tip of the pencil.  Works every time, and virtually precludes the usual lead jams experienced with “click click” mechanical pencils.

- - - Jim

#23 Autopoint

Autopoint

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:26

I hope this “how to” will help you better enjoy your wounded Esterbrook push pencils.  After all, a mortally wounded SJ Esterbrook fountain pen has a lot less utility than a properly functioning, even if not cosmetically perfect, Esterbrook push pencil.

- - - Jim                ©James R. Stauffer 2015.01.24               

#24 Autopoint

Autopoint

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:28

Ultimately I'll post a pdf file of this set of postings, on my vintageautopoint.com website, so if you want to save this how-to it'll be a lot easier to do.

- - - Jim

Edited by Autopoint, 25 January 2015 - 01:50.

#25 Autopoint

Autopoint

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:37

The pdf file containing all of the above postings is located on my vintageautopoint website.  This link will get you there.  Have fun.

- - - Jim

Edited by Autopoint, 25 January 2015 - 01:37.

#26 Bill M

Bill M

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 January 2015 - 14:16

Thanks for this info. This is very helpful and answered a lot of questions I have had.

#27 spaceink

spaceink

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 16:34

Oh wow. Thanks for the detailed postings.

#28 Tom Heath

Tom Heath

Collectors Item

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 January 2015 - 18:02

Good work   Jim

hope you write 100,000 miles with your new pencil.

penfancier1915@hotmail.com

Tom Heath

Peace be with you .   Hug your loved ones today

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: esterbrook, repair, pencil

Sponsored Content

|