The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

How To Fix The Piston On My Ahab

ahab repair piston

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ChickenScratch

ChickenScratch

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 January 2015 - 22:24

Recently my Noodler's Ahab fountain pen developed a leak, and I found out it's because the piston piece is not screwed tightly onto the part of the barrel that holds the nib and feed.  When I try to screw it on tightly, the piston piece just skips over the spot on the screw thread where it's supposed to stop and just keeps on turning.  Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?  There is an O-ring at this junction, so would changing that out or adding more O-rings help keep a tight seal?

Don't sweat the small stuff....and it's all small stuff.

Sponsored Content

#2 GAtkins

GAtkins

Collectors Item

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:17

If the clear piston housing is not cracked, the easiest solution might be to just shellac it on.

Or, for $20 bucks replace the whole thing.

Glenn

#3 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,726 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 January 2015 - 04:46

wait this is confusing is this the konrad or the ahab? is the ahab the syringe converter has nothing else except the threads but the male thread has an o-ring if it is still loose probably plumber's tape will help seal it up

#4 ChickenScratch

ChickenScratch

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 January 2015 - 16:31

Thanks for the suggestions!  The piston piece doesn't have any cracks on it that I can see.  I'll try the shellac tip first (that would look a lot better than plumber's tape!).

Don't sweat the small stuff....and it's all small stuff.

#5 Scribblesoften

Scribblesoften

Retrogrouch

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 January 2015 - 17:45

I believe the threads are made of resin. Sometimes they get stripped. I have also seen it on resin Konrads where the piston unit keeps popping out of the body.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ahab, repair, piston

Sponsored Content

|