Montblanc, Not Just Writing Instruments?

Jonathan V

Hello!

What does everyone think about Montblanc introducing new products outside the category of writing instruments to the market? e.g. leather goods, watches, eye wear etc...

Are you happy that an iconic brand you admire is offering a wider range of products for you to experience? Or do you feel the brand is becoming less exclusive, and that more products are diluting the brands powerful reputation as a well-established writing instrument manufacturer?

Do you like the new products that are on offer?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dneal

• ______Zaphod_Beeblebrox

• s5blitzer

• Blade Runner

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't see Montblanc as much of an iconic pen brand anymore but that has been pretty clear since it became part of Richemont. Today Montblanc is a marketeer of high end goods and fountain pens will by necessity be more an afterthought than brand icon. But I cannot quite imagine buying new Montblanc products although they did offer one pen in the last few years I found interesting. Montblanc leather goods, eyeglass frames, fragrances, watches, none of those would excite me.

BUT...if Montblanc is to continue to exist it will be by selling all those other things and in spite of selling fountain pens.

My Website

I don't go into the boutiques looking for anything other than writing instruments but have bought a couple of the leather items that have caught my eye. I purchased one of the MB leather key fobs about a year ago. I also recently purchased a leather business card holder that was on clearance and at about 50% of standard price. Otherwise I leave that stuff alone. Buying MB pens is damaging enough to my budget. No reason to go looking for more trouble.

Lamb South

True Beauty is when a kindly word encourages and brings an unexpected smile.

Montblanc is being an innovative company by doing things outside of their comfort zone and thinking out of the box. I don't think they will survive just on just writing instruments and inks as they are too expensive for the average person.

I don't agree with all of their non writing instruments product line but I have to admit I do own most of the limited PoA/WE cufflinks to go along with my FPs, cufflinks and button studs for my tux, a few fragrances and a couple of leather goods. All of which I have no regrets as it complements my respect for the brand. Not sure about their timepieces although they have a stellar manufacturing facility in Switzerland in what used to be a residential villa per comments that came from a boutique manager who toured the facility. I have too many watches already and buying a Montblanc watch is not high on my priority although they do have some nice looking tourbillon I would buy if I had unlimited cash.They are soon coming out with a TimeWalker with a wearable tech e-strap as part of their Extreme leather collection -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u49L2u-JV4

I also own the Extreme case for my Samsung Note 4 phone which in turn led to my first StarWalker pen with the e-refill to write on my Note 4. Not sure why MB would want to get into the wearable tech market as it is already saturated with other competitors. Been wearing my Polar Loop and UP24 at the same time for a couple of months to research on which one is more accurate and will buy the UP3 once it is available from Jawbone. Again, not sure why but I am sure MB will find out whether it is successful in due time.

I guess it is a matter of personal preference on what is worth to spend our the hard earned money but I am pretty sure MB's corporate goal is make us spend as much as possible on their brand. Lastly, I am somewhat glad my local boutique was closed last year and my limited contact from the Chicago boutique is very "budget" welcoming.

Edited by thebanker

Many businesses have had to reinvent themselves to stay relevant. Look at BIC. They started out as a pen/pencil manufacturer. They noticed that the market for their product was changing and they were losing share. They retooled and started making disposable lighters, which was way outside the box for them. It proved very successful and now they are one of the leading manufacturers of disposable plastic products. They stopped thinking of themselves as a writing instruments company and changed to be a plastics company, which opened up many more markets for them. Montblanc is moving along the same lines and looking for new markets to expand into. It was clear they were not going to continuing to exist as merely a fine writing instruments company. Who knows what other areas we might see the Montblanc star on...how about high end coffee?

Lamb South

True Beauty is when a kindly word encourages and brings an unexpected smile.

Who knows what other areas we might see the Montblanc star on...how about high end coffee?

Coffee - Ugh! :D I know you were kidding but a rebranded coffee will be crossing the lines for me. Too many great US regional brands.

Your BIC example in your previous post is perfect.

Edited by thebanker

They are doing this for a long time now and I doubt that they mind if I mind... So I don't care as long as the customer care for the pens is still as good as it is.

The more money they make with other products the more money they have for developing interesting pens.

Greetings,

Michael

They are doing this for a long time now and I doubt that they mind if I mind... So I don't care as long as the customer care for the pens is still as good as it is.

The more money they make with other products the more money they have for developing interesting pens.

Amen to that! +1

It baffles me. Richemont owns Cartier. Why in the world would someone buy Montblanc branded jewelry? If someone is already shopping in the "luxury" market, they're well aware of Cartier. My wife would punch me in the jimmies if I said "let's pass up that Cartier store and head to a Montblanc boutique and shop for a necklace for you. Also, it's not like a $4500 Montblanc ladies' diamond ring is a add-on purchase when you're shopping for a pen. Who knows though, maybe wives get drug into a MB boutique and tell their husband "oooh, look at this" and do in fact "add on" the purchase of some sparkly thing...

The same goes for watches. Richemont owns Vacheron Constatin, Jaeger-LeColture, Baume & Mercier, Lange & Sohne, etc... That's a pretty wide spread of price points for watches. I'm sure that makes it easy to produce a watch with a MB logo, but why?

Seems like they're just eating into their own markets.

Edited by dneal

This is nothing new is it? Montblanc has been offering other things besides pens for years!

Pens, inks, leather goods, paper, glasses, jewelry, watches, etc.

I really would like to get a Montblanc Watch myself.

Most brands branch out to things related to their field.

Edited by Zaphod_Beeblebrox

I think that if branching out means that they will be able to offer fine pens, I am fine with that. I have not branched out into wallets or fragrance but I did buy a 3 pen case that is very nice. I also find some of their watches very tempting.

Edited by orfew

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

This is nothing new is it? Montblanc has been offering other things besides pens for years!

Pens, inks, leather goods, paper, glasses, jewelry, watches, etc.

I really would like to get a Montblanc Watch myself.

Most brands branch out to things related to their field.

How long they've been doing it isn't necessarily the issue raised by the OP. Cases and whatnot makes sense, and those have always been offered. Watches? I'll pass and buy a more "established" brand.

Edited by dneal

The problem with some of the "established" watch companies is that their watches are dated. Yes, I know, you do not necessary buy things solely on aesthetic appeal but it is a huge factor. I never cared to spend a lot of money on a watch before because most of them have not changed the look of their watches in years. Of course there is always exceptions to the rule, but I am talking about the typical lines companies offer and not limited or special editions. Montblanc Was the first watch that cost more than a grand that I have been seriously interested in. Sometimes it takes a new guy, so to speak, to shake things up and inject new things into an old craft.

My answer to the OP, no it does not make it less exclusive, if anything it can make it more exclusive. It seems like everybody has a Rollex, Omega, etc but not a Montblanc. So yes I like the products.

Edited by Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Okay, what's up with the fact that I cannot make a post with the word Rollex?

Took me forever to figure out why it would not post!

The problem with some of the "established" watch companies is that their watches are dated. Yes, I know, you do not necessary buy things solely on aesthetic appeal but it is a huge factor. I never cared to spend a lot of money on a watch before because most of them have not changed the look of their watches in years. Of course there is always exceptions to the rule, but I am talking about the typical lines companies offer and not limited or special editions. Montblanc Was the first watch that cost more than a grand that I have been seriously interested in. Sometimes it takes a new guy, so to speak, to shake things up and inject new things into an old craft.

My answer to the OP, no it does not make it less exclusive, if anything it can make it more exclusive. It seems like everybody has a Rollex, Omega, etc but not a Montblanc. So yes I like the products.

I don't really get this line of thinking. You like MB watches because they don't look dated? The Meisterstuck line is about as dated as you're going to get (I like the term "traditional", and I'm ok with that for watches and pens). Anyway, most of the MB watch models are as traditional as you're going to get. Vacheron Constantin and Jaeger LeCoultre have some seriously clever movements and avant-garde designs. IWC is getting there, but they've always been a "traditional" company (like Lange and Sohne) that make workhorses.

I guess the other thing that bugs me is that it's not like there are Montblanc watchmakers working away at the factory in Hamburg. I'm not a fan of rebranding (and I wonder who is making the MB watches).

When you think "Cartier", you think fine jewelry. "Vacheron Constantin" (like the "Rol" word that the forum doesn't like) conjures images of watches. Likewise, Montblanc makes you think of a black, gold trimmed writing instrument. I just don't see the need (or the sense in) deviating. The numbers don't support their plan so far, but in fairness it's too early to tell and they've spent a lot of money opening boutiques.

I think a "Richemont" boutique would make just as much (if not more) sense, selling the classic products their labels make (although I'd make an exception for Cartier and leave that brand and its stores as is).

Edited by dneal

No difference even within the same brand, there are differences in opinion - Day-Date (President) watch vs Day-Date II vs Daytona solid gold vs Daytona stainless steel, etc., etc., etc.

Successful companies is able to make delineations within a vertical product line (e.g. timepieces) to attract different buyers with different tastes and budgets.

The fact that Montblanc sells leather goods, timepieces, jewelry, eyeglasses frames, etc. does not dilute the brand. If I did not own MB pens,MB inks, and MB pen cases, I would not have crossed over to buy fragrances, many sets of cufflinks and now an Extreme leather phone case for my Note 4. If I had the cash, I would have spend $3,500 for that MB pen chest from 2-3 years ago.

I personally have there cuff links, watches, wallets, and belts and I believe they are very high quality items that would compare with cartier and other high end brands. I attached a picture of one of my watches.

post-113524-0-47201700-1422048099_thumb.jpg

Hello!

What does everyone think about Montblanc introducing new products outside the category of writing instruments to the market? e.g. leather goods, watches, eye wear etc...

Are you happy that an iconic brand you admire is offering a wider range of products for you to experience? Or do you feel the brand is becoming less exclusive, and that more products are diluting the brands powerful reputation as a well-established writing instrument manufacturer?

Do you like the new products that are on offer?

Yeah! I love almost every MB product. I currently own several pens, leather pouches and a wallet, and I'd really love to have a MB briefcase and a watch, at least.

I personally have there cuff links, watches, wallets, and belts and I believe they are very high quality items that would compare with cartier and other high end brands. I attached a picture of one of my watches.

Amazing watch! :thumbup: