Black N' Red A5 Hardcover Notebook For $3 On Amazon

flatline

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Red-Casebound-Notebook-E66857/dp/B000JCPP9A/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1422018787&sr=8-4&keywords=black+n%27+red+notebook

Awesome value at this price.

Bn'R notebooks are probably my favorite general purpose journals since they play nicely with fountain pens AND pencils (unlike Rhodia which is too smooth to give pencils much purchase). My only complaint is that the lines are 8mm apart (I prefer 7mm or less).

--flatline

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• flatline

• pepsiplease69

• HollyGolightly

• bbycrts

This is a great deal - but it is an add-on deal from Amazon - you have to purchase at least $25 worth of stuff in order to get it. Put them in your shopping cart and then when you have something to buy that totals $25 check out - don't use one-click! You have to go through the shopping cart for the add-on items to be shipped as well.

Fortunately I had something else to order, so I have four of the Black 'n' Red notebooks coming, too.

All of the Oxford paper is ideal for fountain pens!

This is the same paper, just softback, and a great deal:

Oxford Campus A5 Notebook - Purple (Pack of 5) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IGWY05U/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_UvLWub0RD4MD8

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IGWY05U/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_UvLWub0RD4MD8

How do you know it's the same paper?

--flatline

The $25 requirement isn't much of an issue for me. As we identify things we need for the kids, we add them to our wishlist. It's pretty trivial for me to throw things we need into the cart and then snag whatever add-on items I have my eye on and be well clear of the $25 minimum.

--flatline

Nice find - the oxford paper is just perfect. I like that there's so little show through I can use boh sides, even with a big nib

Black'n Red is easily my favorite paper in terms of price / performance. It's less ink-repellent than Rhodia, so it dries a bit faster with no compromise in feathering or bleedthrough (of which there is none). And it's just as smooth.

I prefer their wirebound notebooks at work (they are more expensive :( but I have limited desk space ... I can't possible lay a full size one out flat), but for journals at home I use this same one you linked.

I actually picked up a bunch of these with another order a couple weeks ago, and they are fantastic. Very easy to use, and the little information sheets in the front and back are nifty - maybe not entirely useful (can't imagine needing a map of the NYC metro anytime soon), but nifty. :D

How do you know it's the same paper?

--flatline

Looks like they are the same company and they state the paper source to be the same:

here:

http://my-oxford.co.uk/professional-and-executive/black-n-red

and here:

http://my-oxford.co.uk/everyday-and-office/office

Optik Paper ®

The Office range uses Optik Paper. This guarantees paper quality of 90gsm, perfected over many years.

and now it turns out that the Oxford branded one is not available at such an attractive price through Amazon US :(

I ended up buying two and they came in today. Great notebooks! I think I'm going to use one to mail back and forth with a friend. The hard cover is super sturdy as well.

- The poster formerly known as HollyGolightly

I ended up buying two and they came in today. Great notebooks! I think I'm going to use one to mail back and forth with a friend. The hard cover is super sturdy as well.

Mine arrived today as well - wow, what great books! The covers aren't "fancy" like a Rhodia or Moleskine, but the paper is terrific and they are really sturdy.

What's the most economical way to ship a journal to someone?

--flatline

What's the most economical way to ship a journal to someone?

--flatline

I'm actually not sure- this will be the first time I'm attempting such a thing. I'm supposing it will need to be some sort of flate-rate envelope, but I'm not certain.

Mine arrived today as well - wow, what great books! The covers aren't "fancy" like a Rhodia or Moleskine, but the paper is terrific and they are really sturdy.

You're right- very simplistic, just the black hardcover with a red spine but I think it works in it's favor! I'm glad bought it on impulse, I think I'd be likely to repurchase once I go through these two. Maybe next time I'll try the spiral notebook that lays flat.

Edited by HollyGolightly

Thanks for this post. Similar offer available from Amazon UK. I just ordered 5 for less than one fp-friendly notebook from some manufacturers!

I also find these Black n' Reds at my nearest Rite-Aid and they typically go for anywhere between $7-$9, so for me this is a steal!

Thanks for letting us know.

I've just placed an order with Amazon for NINE (9) of these and threw in a couple of the spiral bound A5's to bring it up to $35 for free shipping.

I like to take the stitched casebound Black n' Red notebooks, and first off, I use my corner-rounder from Fiskars to round out those pointy corners (3-5 pages at a time).

Then I cut the stitching threads to remove the signatures and use it for my book-binding projects. I like to re-bind these with Coptic stitch and a nice cover which is decorated to my liking.

So you can understand why I would get 9 of these. :)

• 1 month later...

The deal continues.

I was expecting them to sell out and then go back to a higher price, but that hasn't happened yet. Perhaps the notebook buying public isn't as price sensitive as I had thought?

--flatline

I think I got a dud. For some strange reason, my fountain pens stopped working on the last couple of pages of a Black n red. They would skip all over the place. However, they had worked great up until then. Weird. With that said, they are still great books for fountain pens.

I think I got a dud. For some strange reason, my fountain pens stopped working on the last couple of pages of a Black n red. They would skip all over the place. However, they had worked great up until then. Weird. With that said, they are still great books for fountain pens.

I notice this happens sometimes toward the bottom of a page- and I am guessing it has to do with the oil from my hands getting all over that part of the page before what I'm writing gets to the bottom. I need to get a plastic sheet of something to use as a hand rest when I write!