The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Vintage Pilot Pen Identification Assistance, Please

pilot vintage identification

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kurtankeny

kurtankeny

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:56

Hello Everyone:

I am a brand new user, having signed up just so I could get a bit of assistance in identifying a vintage Pilot fountain pen.

I am an artist, and have recently gotten interested in fountain pens for their use in drawing, since I like the look of nib work, and I dislike having to stop frequently to re-dip a pen when I'm drawing. It interrupts my thinking... (I have a couple of Noodler Conrad Flex demonstrators and a Lamy 2000, which I fill with Noodler's black for drawing.)

Anyway, my wife has had this pen for a while, and recently got curious about it. It was found in a vintage Japanese sewing box that came with a bunch of other vintage items, we're guessing they're from the 1950s or 1960s. This pen could be from that same period, but who knows? Not me, that's for sure. ;)

Anyway, I'll post some photos so people might be able to hazard a guess. The nib doesn't seem to have any number on it, it simply says "BEST IN THE WORLD", then "PILOT" in the center, then "MADE IN JAPAN" at the bottom. No other identifying marks, except for "PILOT" on the top of the clip on the cap. Looks to be a plastic pen with inset metallic foil. It also seems to be missing its ink bladder completely, so for now it only functions as a dip pen. Would love to get it restored, or restore it myself, but not real sure what kind of project that is!

Anyway, any help and advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Kurt

Attached Images

• _MG_6965.jpg
  • _MG_6961.jpg
  • _MG_6967.jpg
  • _MG_6968.jpg
  • _MG_6969.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,786 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:28

red whirled ebonite? with a shiro steel flex nib huh... rare I wont be surprised if this was post-war era of Japan... but it could be during the war era according to Bruno war-time Japan is vague since it starts with their conquest of China in 1930s

#3 ehemem

ehemem

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:56

I think you have a Pilot celluloid pen from the 1950s. Nice Shiro nib which should have some flex but not like western flex. It would be worth having it restored to working order.

Stan the Mod might have more to say about this...

#4 zanio

zanio

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:20

This may help:  53R

#5 peerless1

peerless1

Antique

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 13:45

Your pen is from 1938 and known as an R-T type.

It is missing the cap band. Trim is nickel plated.

Nib is stainless. Flexiness seemed to  vary as there was no standard for this.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

#6 kurtankeny

kurtankeny

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2015 - 14:15

Much thanks, Stan, zanio, ehemem, and Algester! I am kind of surprised that it is from the start of the war, but that is very cool! I did notice the cap band was missing from its groove.

Thank you all, now I have a place to start researching to see what would be involved in restoring it to working condition. I live in the Boston area, does anyone know of a jeweler in my area that could replace the cap band?

#7 peerless1

peerless1

Antique

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:52

Best choice for replacement of cap band is a pen restorer repairer. I've seen this service offered.

Jewelers seem clueless. 

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pilot, vintage, identification

Sponsored Content

|