Nakaya Simple model (Aka-tamenuri)

samsie

This is my first pen review and English is not my first language.

I hope you fellow collector will be able to understand my review.

Nakaya Simple Model Aka Tamenuri.

I bought this pen directly from Nakaya three years ago. It is based on thier simple model.

It is really "simple". No trim. just a gold plated clip, for you to keep it securely in your pocket. made of hard rubber. cover with Urushi paint.

I like this pen because it is a snap cap one. It is very convenient when you need a pen quickly during a meeting, especially when the boss like to give instruction without prior notice. Some fellow fountain pen user think snap cap pens are unsafe to use. After six years of carrying the Sheaffer Imperial fountain pen as my primary user pen, I can assure you that snap cap pen is as safe as any screw-on pen. I used a Pelikan M710 before the Sheaffer Imperial, the cap unscrewed itself every three months, I ended up having to wash my shirt more often. The Sheaffer has never given me any trouble.

I like light weight pen. Not only because it is easier to write with (only weigh 9.7g for barrel and the nib), it is also less stressful to my shirt pocket. The size of this pen is similar to a Montbalnc 146. (I regarded it as the perfect size for a writing pen, but a bit big for my shirt pocket. ) The section of this pen is a bit thicker than I like, but I do not find it uncomfortable.

The color of this pen is aka-tamenuri. I guess it means reddish-red in Japan. it is much darker when I received it 3 years ago. (I wish I had taken a picture for comparison). The red color become more prominent now but it is not as red as the one on Nakaya's website. I think it closely resemble the Kuro-tamenuri color (blackish-red model). I do not understand why as the red should more intense.

The nib. I ordered a single tone EF nib. (not the one in the picture- it is a stub nib from other pen) I admit it is not as smooth as the my Dunhill AD2000 with Binderised EF nib. I am not sure if it was caused by inaccurate filling of the writing style questionaire before ordering. (The stub nib I ordered recently with other pen is very smooth). This nib is on its way to Nakaya for adjustment base on my revised writing style questionaire. I hope it turn out OK.

The filling system. it is a C/C filler. It provides enough juice for me to last a few days in this computer age.

Overall. I really like the weight and balance of this pen. If you are a snap cap pen user and you are looking for a light weight, full-size pen. You will love this pen.

Sam

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j205/samsie1/Nakaya/PICT0489.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j205/samsie1/Nakaya/PICT0490.jpg

Edited by samsie

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• samsie

• ethernautrix

• thehobbit

A good honest review about a great looking pen. Some day I will have to try one. Thank you. smile.gif

Edited by jd50ae

Please visit my wife's website.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_763_-2kMPOs/Sh8W3BRtwoI/AAAAAAAAARQ/WbGJ-Luhxb0/2009StoreLogoETSY.jpg

Very good review samsie! smile.gif

I think your pen has a very clean/minimal look by having a snap cap - no threads on the section to interrupt the contour. Nice!

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

QUOTE (jd50ae @ Mar 25 2007, 11:25 AM)
A good honest review about a great looking pen. Some day I will have to try one. Thank you. smile.gif

JD: I never thought I would spend so much in a pen...but this pen kept haunting me even in dreams........ so I finally bought it. It is gorgeous!!!!!! Now, I did have problems with the nib a little while after buying it. I could have well mishandled it for it is a Super-flexible and I may have been a bit rough on it. Now, before I sc****d it, the writing was like something I had never written on : super smoooooooth! happycloud9.gif

Now, better show it to Holly first before ending being kidnapped! wink.gif

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

• 9 years later...

I have one of these pens and it is very nice in the hand with no threads to bother my fingers. It's good for short bursts or writing also given the snap cap.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

• 7 months later...

I wish Nakaya, or Platinum, would make this pen again.

I wish the same. then I do not have to use it with extreme care

Edited by samsie

Nice review. I've become a big fan of Nakaya pens in the last few months.

Happiness isn't getting what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

Oh wow, I never knew that Nakaya made pens with slip caps. How cool! I would use my Desk Pen more if it were a slip cap (instead of a cap that requires at least four turns, haha).

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Oh wow, I never knew that Nakaya made pens with slip caps. How cool! I would use my Desk Pen more if it were a slip cap (instead of a cap that requires at least four turns, haha).

They were based on the pre-Century model #3776.

http://www.fototime.com/6E672643621A799/medium800.jpg

Edited by jar

My Website

That there is very pretty. So... vintage, right?

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

That there is very pretty. So... vintage, right?

Not really. Late 1970s and up until 2009 or so when they finished the change over to the #3776 Century.

My Website

This looks excellent! I have decided to sell my 3776 exactly because of the threads digging into my fingers.. This would be lovely indeed...

Above all shadows rides the Sun
And Stars for ever dwell:
I will not say the Day is done,
Nor bid the Stars farewell.

---

photography: andrejkutarna.net

This looks excellent! I have decided to sell my 3776 exactly because of the threads digging into my fingers.. This would be lovely indeed...

Before you sell your Century try to lighten your grip.

My Website