The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Richard Binder On National Geographic!

richard binder national geographic

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Emperor

Emperor

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 January 2015 - 23:38

http://video.nationa...pens-binder-vin

/discuss

Sponsored Content

#2 Cob

Cob

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 January 2015 - 00:13

Thanks for posting this.

It is most satisfying to see out mania hobby receiving world-wide recognition.

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

#3 Tom Waits

Tom Waits

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 January 2015 - 00:55

Emperor,

Thanks for posting that.

Tom

#4 John54green

John54green

retired educator

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:00

Thank you for sharing!

#5 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Super Pinks member:

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,067 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:30

Thanks!!

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

#6 atomix

atomix

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:49

A good video to show the initiated at least. Great to see Richard getting the press, not sure he needs more customers though!

#7 orfew

orfew

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,239 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 January 2015 - 02:09

Great video.

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

#8 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 9,414 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:33

Although I would question his statement of, only 6 people in the world that does what he does????

How is he defining it so tight that only 6 people are in that club?

San Francisco Pen Show - August 24-26, 2018 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#9 Tootles

Tootles

Donor Pen

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:30

He did say that there's only about 6 or so people who do ALL the things he does. Interesting video. First time I have ever seen the man.

#10 mirosc

mirosc

I love the smell of ink in the morning

• Member - Gold

• 2,606 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:12

Although I would question his statement of, only 6 people in the world that does what he does????

How is he defining it so tight that only 6 people are in that club?

In the other topic about this video some were speculating that he's talking about his students :-)

Greetings,
Michael

#11 balson

balson

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:23

Oh man, thats cool.  I am only familiar with Richard through his online presence so it was really neat to see him speak.  

#12 Beechwood

Beechwood

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,199 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:42

How many people does it take to comment on a question on FPN? One to give advice and make suggestions. Another one to repeat everything that the first poster has said. Fourteen to share their own experiences of their pens and comment on how the original advice was flawed. Seven who just want to increase their post count. One to say that they have no regrets about doing anything and people should follow their example. Another to say that if there is anything wrong with the pen it is just down to using Diamine Shimmer ink. Six to argue over whether its a worth doing anything with it and the OP should just throw it away and buy their Parker 51. One to ignore who uses 'I' four times in each post. Another six to condemn all of the above as being  stupid and anyway they would rather be on FP Geeks. One to say that the pen is cheaper where they live. Five people to post pics of their own pens. One to say that if the OP had Faith then the pen would work - and gets banned very quickly. Finally, one to close down the thread because it has lost its way.

#13 Suji

Suji

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,692 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:49

Someone beat you here :P

http://www.fountainp...nal-geographic/

Edited by Suji, 19 January 2015 - 06:50.

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

#14 Beechwood

Beechwood

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,199 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:52

Sorry all, missed it the first time.

How many people does it take to comment on a question on FPN? One to give advice and make suggestions. Another one to repeat everything that the first poster has said. Fourteen to share their own experiences of their pens and comment on how the original advice was flawed. Seven who just want to increase their post count. One to say that they have no regrets about doing anything and people should follow their example. Another to say that if there is anything wrong with the pen it is just down to using Diamine Shimmer ink. Six to argue over whether its a worth doing anything with it and the OP should just throw it away and buy their Parker 51. One to ignore who uses 'I' four times in each post. Another six to condemn all of the above as being  stupid and anyway they would rather be on FP Geeks. One to say that the pen is cheaper where they live. Five people to post pics of their own pens. One to say that if the OP had Faith then the pen would work - and gets banned very quickly. Finally, one to close down the thread because it has lost its way.

#15 KBeezie

KBeezie

Gerbil Charmer

• Member - Gold

• 5,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:51

He did say that there's only about 6 or so people who do ALL the things he does. Interesting video. First time I have ever seen the man.

And probably all the things he does, professionally.

#16 Fuddlestack

Fuddlestack

I enjoy defeating inanimate objects

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 January 2015 - 14:15

220px-Pastis.jpg? ? ?

When you're good at it, it's really miserable.

#17 Kevan

Kevan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 14:49

It is cool to see him, but I wondered at that comment as well.  Was he referring to repairing/restoring pens and grinding nibs (I thought only Mottishaw and Minuskin re-tip pens in the US correct?)  Maybe he means also having his own pens (Gate City)?

Because surely there are a heck of a lot of people out there in the world that repair/restore and grind.

In any case, I loved the video, wished it was longer, and drooled at that pen he wrote with.  I guess that's a "Binderized" nib, eh?  My Pelikan certainly doesn't write like that.

#18 Ink Bot

Ink Bot

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 January 2015 - 15:28

Un petit verre de Ricard est un accompagnement excellent pour un stylo plume. Santé!

#19 Beechwood

Beechwood

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,199 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 17:55

220px-Pastis.jpg? ? ?

I puzzled over what was meamt there FS, must admit that a Pernod or Ricard would go down very well right now

#20 benjitzu

benjitzu

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 18:29

VERY cool vid - thanks for sharing!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: richard binder, national geographic

Sponsored Content

|