Private Reserve Electric Dc Blue

Ambrose Bierce

J.Herbin Stormy Grey got me started on a search for the perfect sheeny ink. While SG sheens like no ones business, I feel like it is cheating when it comes to sheen, because it has metal particles in it and it is not actually a property of the ink. I think I hit a home run with this ink though. I love dark saturated blues with a little shading, and DC Blue is exactly that. The Ink has no feathering, bleed through, or any major issues on my Clairfontaine paper or my 97 cent Walmart paper. The one issue I have had is that it will smudge is you get sweaty hands when you write, which I do. While it does have some smudge problems, I think everything this ink offers is worth having to be slightly more careful when you write. The sheen on the ink is a little more elusive than I expected. I wasn't able to get any to show up on my Clariefontaine paper, and the sheen that was on other papers was subdued yet still stunning. This is now going to be my go to blue ink, and I would suggest it to any one. Now for those pics, and remember the ones with the sheen are on a different type of paper.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-OySNRka4clk/VLwLKj0qjfI/AAAAAAAAANs/_786tdPPdqM/s1600/DSCN0299.JPG

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-lLj1EhC1PHs/VLwLlIFLyyI/AAAAAAAAAOs/fMZop1M1N9Y/s1600/DSCN0310.JPG

If you enjoyed the review check out my blog at http://fpinkgeek.blogspot.com/ for more!

I am the artist formally known as Ambrose Bierce (I recently changed my username from that). If you love me you'll check out my blog http://fpinkgeek.blogspot.com/ or follow me on Instagram and Twitter @Fp_Ink_Geek :D

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Rob G

• mhosea

• Ambrose Bierce

Indeed, it's my favorite Blue, too.

Dry time is a bit long and the high saturation sometimes causes a bit of smearing, but apart from that: great!

Greetings,

Michael

We should do a CRV - I have DC SuperShow Blue inked up now. I'll send you a letter.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 5 months later...

I was going to post this in Inky Thoughts, but, after reading the warning, decided that it might be a problem. Feel free to move it if not.

I have been using Electric for ten years, since I started using fountain pens on a regular basis. I wanted a color which matched the finish on the Ocean Blue Parker Sonnet.

My supply was recently getting low, so I purchased a bottle from an Amazon vendor, and the first thing I noticed was that the "electricity" - the reddish highlights - were gone. This morning I received a bottle from Goulet, and - same thing. The highlights are gone.

I have two pens still filled with the "real" Electric Blue, and the difference is striking.

Please, Private Reserve, tell me you put out a bad batch and will fix it!

:bawl: :bawl:

Rob G

"Sacred cows make the best hamburger." - Mark Twain

Really, it's changed color? That's depressing. I just bought a bottle, but it is one of the old bottles so I should be safe.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

How is Electric DC blue different from DC SuperShow blue?

Is it that red sheen?

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Oh that's a good question, I've only tried Super Show.

Oh no... I need a lifetime supply of electric DC blue... I have only 3 bottles.. Dont change it, PR... %-(

I don't see much of a difference in the sheen between my 50ml bottle from a couple of years ago and a newer 66ml bottle. It is lighter, but I would have attributed that to evaporation with the older supply.

19184125570_c3472e711e_z.jpg

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

On Rhodia DotPad with _wet_ dip pen there is definite red sheen. With BB Kaweco that sheen is much more muted, but still present on some of the wetter parts. Both from a 66ml bottle ordered around christmas.

You do not have a right to post. You do not have a right to a lawyer. Do you understands these rights you do not have?

Kaweco Supra (titanium B), Al-Sport (steel BB).

Parker: Sonnet (dimonite); Frontier GT; 51 (gray); Vacumatic (amber).

Pelikan: m600 (BB); Rotring ArtPen (1,9mm); Rotring Rive; Cult Pens Mini (the original silver version), Waterman Carene (ultramarine F)

How is Electric DC blue different from DC SuperShow blue?

Is it that red sheen?

I have and tried both and see no difference. I did not try above a medium nib so there may be a difference wider than that. Both my bottles are probably a year old if someone wants a sample of each a try I would send.

Grace and peace to you

:)

I've tried both DCSS Blue and DC Electric Blue. DCSSB was a brighter blue (Electric Blue was darker in color). Both had lots of red sheen; both also took damned near forever to dry (I think it was several weeks on good paper before either one quit smudging).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I don't see much of a difference in the sheen between my 50ml bottle from a couple of years ago and a newer 66ml bottle. It is lighter, but I would have attributed that to evaporation with the older supply.

19184125570_c3472e711e_z.jpg

LOOKS GREAT!

I've tried both DCSS Blue and DC Electric Blue. DCSSB was a brighter blue (Electric Blue was darker in color). Both had lots of red sheen; both also took damned near forever to dry (I think it was several weeks on good paper before either one quit smudging).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Thank you.

both also took damned near forever to dry (I think it was several weeks on good paper before either one quit smudging).

When this happens, it might never dry, I think. But it seems to be a phenomenon that occurs in certain circumstances, not something that always happens. I use PREDCB quite a lot, and all I've ever seen is dry times inching up to a minute or so on Rhodia or Tomoe River. OTOH, I have had some Noodler's Inks get to the point where they take forever to dry, and I have no doubt that this occurs with some PR inks as well. I have sometimes suspected glycerin might be involved, but ultimately I don't understand why the same ink behaves differently in this respect at different times. There is something interesting that explains it, I'm sure.

I've noticed the same never fully dry behavior with Diamine Majestic Blue, as well.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

• 1 month later...

I took a picture of the "old" and "new" Electric Blues and propped it up on my windshield so that the sun would would reflect on it. You be the judge.

Rob G

"Sacred cows make the best hamburger." - Mark Twain

Thanks Rob, I can see the difference!

BTW, would you be interested in writing with Electric Blue on a sheet that already has Parker Penman Sapphire so we can do a comparison?

I took a picture of the "old" and "new" Electric Blues and propped it up on my windshield so that the sun would would reflect on it. You be the judge.

attachicon.gifElectric-DC-Blue.jpg

Yup. Big difference. I just realized that my "newer" bottle came from shortly after they went from 50ml to 66ml. That's over a year ago now, I think, though it's hard to remember such details!. Anyway, based on your photo, I'd say both of my bottles are "old formulation".

Mike, that blue offer is open to you too! Actually, we need lots of help. I know most of us are busy, but we do enjoy looking at the colorful samples.

BTW, after seeing this, I did buy a bottle of electric blue. I don't know how old it is, but I hope it's the older color.

Do we know if PR is staying in business?